Doggie Daycare?

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
Does anyone use a pet sitting service or take their dog to a daycare during the day?

I am considering looking into this while Rob is in Haiti. We have a 10 month old Westie who is usually kenneled during the day while we are at work.

Well, I have chiropractor appointment 3 nights a week, and some nights I don't get home until 6:30 or 7. Normally it isn't an issue since Rob is home by 5:15, but while he is gone I have no other choice than to leave her locked up until I get home. I have checked with the doctor about moving my appointment back, but they can't do that. I also can't stop the treatments since I am midway thru the correction process. I don't see any other option than to try a doggie daycare.

Those that have used them, what should I expect cost wise? Also, what kind of things should I look for in choosing where to take her? I don't want to leave her just anywhere, I want to know that she is going to be cared for properly, as well as socialized with other dogs in a safe environment. Any advice would be great. :beer:

Oh, and I did a search but didn't come up with anything useful.

ModularFan

Established Member
Uh, why would you need to take your dog to a kennel? I am sure the dog will be fine, it will take sometime for him to adjust to when you get home. that doesn't make sense to put him in a kennel. Now If you were going away and no family can take care of the dog, while your away then Id say yes take him to a kennel. But it doesn't make sense otherwise.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
I wouldn't be boarding her, I would be taking her to a daycare facility where I would drop her off and pick her up each day she was there. Usually at the daycare, they aren't kenneled at all during the day. She is already kenneled at home.

ModMike1572

Established Member
Theres a lady local to me that has her own doggie day care business.

Her rates are very reasonable. For a full sized dog like my pitbulls, she charges like 11 bucks per day, but I think with most places it varies, depending on what services you need, like walks, special medication, etc... I know she personally takes them on walks for no extra charge cause she likes doing it.

They take very good care of all the dogs. Some of the dogs wont want to eat, I would assume because they are in a new environment with strangers, so she actually hand feeds them.

I've never left my dogs over there cause I havent needed to, but I wouldnt hesitate based on the reputation she has. I guess just do your research and find someone reputable that you know you can trust.

ModularFan

Established Member
I wouldn't be boarding her, I would be taking her to a daycare facility where I would drop her off and pick her up each day she was there. Usually at the daycare, they aren't kenneled at all during the day. She is already kenneled at home.

But why? It doesn't make sense, maybe that's just my opinion. I am sure your dog like most would be more then fine for a couple hours alone. I know they aren't cats where you don't have to give them much attention if any at all.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
It would be nice to have someone close to me that does that, but I haven't found anyone. I did find one location that has a huge indoor/outdoor facility that is even video monitored, where I could check on my dog during the day. The rate is pretty reasonable, I just need to contact them for more information. I really am only worried about it on the nights I have my appointments. The other nights/weekends I walk her and play with her from the minute I get home until she gets tired, and she is never kenneled during the weekends.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
But why? It doesn't make sense, maybe that's just my opinion. I am sure your dog like most would be more then fine for a couple hours alone. I know they aren't cats where you don't have to give them much attention if any at all.

She is kenneled for 8 hours every day while I am at work. Then I am adding another few hours on top of that the days I have an appointment. When a dog doesn't get the required attention and excercise they need during the day, they start to act out and have weight/behavioral issues. The nights I get home late I don't have a chance to walk her and exercise her. I don't want this to become an issue down the road.

Whether it makes sense or not, and she would be fine or not (which she would, but that isn't the issue here), I don't want to leave her locked up for 10+ hours 3 nights a week. I already don't like leaving her locked up for 8.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
We have a similar problem with our pooch, so we pay a dog walker to come over and let him out in the middle of the day. I don't mind leaving him locked in the kennel for ~7 hours, but after that I'm sure he's crossing his legs.

The walker was the best solution for us, because I didn't have to take the dog anywhere in the morning, or pick him up in the evening, and he gets to be in his own house all day long. Around here it's like 15 bucks a day for the dog walker, so the 11 dollars a day for the daycare would be an awesome deal here...but your mileage may very depending on what prices are like in your location.

Anyway, I'd look into a walker, it's very convenient, and then if you keep them after Rob gets back, nobody has to worry if they are stuck working overtime. The dog still got to go out, get some exercise, and go to the bathroom.

greyrob

The Grey Stang
Established Member
a doggie daycare ???

i would just drop the dog off and forget it- - of course the wife would than do the same to me

ponygrrl

Lethal Performance Rep.
Established Member
My dogs go to a daycare every other friday because we have a maid that comes and she's scared of them.

I actually worked at a dog daycare for a year and it is great for the dogs. They basically get to play with other dogs all day. It's good exercise and better than staying at home cooped up in a kennel. You can get packages which saves you money, too.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Also, I recommend going to check out the place. Some places can be really nasty. If you can find one with outside areas as well that's always a plus. The one I worked at had 3 different inside areas for different sized dogs and then an outdoor run which the groups would alternate in.

edit: Forgot to write in costs... Our daily rate was $27 for a full day. You could get packages like $250 for 10 days, etc. or buy 9 get 1 free, etc.

Last edited:

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
We have a similar problem with our pooch, so we pay a dog walker to come over and let him out in the middle of the day. I don't mind leaving him locked in the kennel for ~7 hours, but after that I'm sure he's crossing his legs.

The walker was the best solution for us, because I didn't have to take the dog anywhere in the morning, or pick him up in the evening, and he gets to be in his own house all day long. Around here it's like 15 bucks a day for the dog walker, so the 11 dollars a day for the daycare would be an awesome deal here...but your mileage may very depending on what prices are like in your location.

Anyway, I'd look into a walker, it's very convenient, and then if you keep them after Rob gets back, nobody has to worry if they are stuck working overtime. The dog still got to go out, get some exercise, and go to the bathroom.

I thought about a dog walker, or an in-home sitter but I don't really like the idea of having a stranger in my house while I'm not there. I know they wouldn't be a stranger after a while, but I would just feel better taking her somewhere.

My dogs go to a daycare every other friday because we have a maid that comes and she's scared of them.

I actually worked at a dog daycare for a year and it is great for the dogs. They basically get to play with other dogs all day. It's good exercise and better than staying at home cooped up in a kennel. You can get packages which saves you money, too.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Also, I recommend going to check out the place. Some places can be really nasty. If you can find one with outside areas as well that's always a plus. The one I worked at had 3 different inside areas for different sized dogs and then an outdoor run which the groups would alternate in.

edit: Forgot to write in costs... Our daily rate was $27 for a full day. You could get packages like $250 for 10 days, etc. or buy 9 get 1 free, etc.

That is exactly what I am looking for. Rob and I had actually talked about how we need to start getting her socialized since she hasn't ever been around other dogs, and very rarely around other people. So this would give me the best of both worlds. I found a place not to far from me that sounds good, and even has webcams so I can check on her during the day. I will definitely pay them an actual visit before I commit Bella to anything.

Here is the link of the place I found, can you check it out and see what you think since you have experience in this? Thanks!

Puppys Playpen Overand Park Kansas

ponygrrl

Lethal Performance Rep.
Established Member
That is exactly what I am looking for. Rob and I had actually talked about how we need to start getting her socialized since she hasn't ever been around other dogs, and very rarely around other people. So this would give me the best of both worlds. I found a place not to far from me that sounds good, and even has webcams so I can check on her during the day. I will definitely pay them an actual visit before I commit Bella to anything.

Here is the link of the place I found, can you check it out and see what you think since you have experience in this? Thanks!

Puppys Playpen Overand Park Kansas

That place looks good. I watched the webcams for a few minutes and saw a dog take a squat and was happy to see that someone cleaned it up within 2 minutes. That's always a good sign. Go check it out and if it seems good, I'd say go for it. :beer:

ModMike1572

Established Member
Back yards FTW!

Lots of people dont have this luxury, but having a fenced in backyard with a doggie door leading to a basement/garage/small laundry room or something is the most ideal set-up for dog(s).

I have a small fenced in area for my two apbt's with a doggie door leading to my downstairs den area, and they love the freedom. They exercise themselves during the day, and I dont have to worry about the weather because they have access to inside.

And yes, my dogs are spoiled.

Last edited:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
So you're talking about adding an hour to an hour and a half to how long your dog is kenneled and you think you need to find a daycare for that?

You're talking about what 700 a month based on the $27 a day quote above.

It's your money, but seems pretty outlandish to me.

ponygrrl

Lethal Performance Rep.
Established Member
So you're talking about adding an hour to an hour and a half to how long your dog is kenneled and you think you need to find a daycare for that?

You're talking about what 700 a month based on the $27 a day quote above.

It's your money, but seems pretty outlandish to me.
(1) It's not 5 days a week, she said it's only 2-3 days.

(2) It's not permanent, it's only while Rob is away since he won't be getting home at 5:15 like he normally does.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
She is kenneled for 8 hours every day while I am at work. Then I am adding another few hours on top of that the days I have an appointment. When a dog doesn't get the required attention and excercise they need during the day, they start to act out and have weight/behavioral issues. The nights I get home late I don't have a chance to walk her and exercise her. I don't want this to become an issue down the road.

Whether it makes sense or not, and she would be fine or not (which she would, but that isn't the issue here), I don't want to leave her locked up for 10+ hours 3 nights a week. I already don't like leaving her locked up for 8.

That was kinda the problem we had with the one my wife's sister got my daughter last Christmas. We were sometimes gone at least 12 hours a day. Well the pup started peeing all over the floor and would not use the puppy pads. In fact the one we put in her kennel with her she would usually destroy. Not a pleasant experience to walk into and then have to clean up. Poop strown everywhere and pee slung everywhere. So she was given away to someone who had more time for her.

Users who are viewing this thread