Dog is injured? Need input.

bam

Established Member
My dog seems to have hurt her left rear leg- she favors it when she sits down, but she didn't seem to be in pain as I put pressure on it in different places. No bones seem to be broken or joints out of socket or anything, and she walks without a limp... it's only when she crawls or jumps that she seems to be in pain, though her yelps make it sound somewhat severe.

I've given her a small dose of aspirin, and I'm going to see how she's doing tomorrow before I go to work, but I'm thinking about finding a vet that's open and getting her checked out tomorrow... thoughts? Is this something I should worry about?

Last edited:

03rd SVT

Established Member
I think you should let her rest a day or two and see if she makes any progress. My dogs do the same thing from time to time and it has never been more than a couple of days until they are back to 100mph. Give her a little time and go from there is my suggestion.

Hope she gets to feeling better.

KurtDog

Established Member
How old is the dog and what breed?

If shes still young I would say wait a few days and see if it fixes itself.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Lab? Labs are very prone to hip problems and leg problems, my chocolate lab has had a rear leg problem since he was born. Limps every now and then.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I'd wait until regular vet hours. They'll probably have to do an X-ray. Our little dog fell a few months back and may have broken her leg. The doctor couldn't really tell from X-rays so he prescribed pain meds and Rimadyl for inflammation/swelling. She limped for about a month and finally started walking normal again :shrug:

bam

Established Member
She's 6, a Dachshund-Beagle mix. Very healthy and energetic, so my inclination was to wait a couple of days and see if things improve. But it's hard to her hurting, so I'm trying to be cautious about it.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Just keep her limited and she should be ok until Monday. Have you noticed any swelling?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Where are you in Orlando? I know a fantastic vet here for orthopedic issues. One of my Labs has torn BOTH his ACLs and was treated by him.

bam

Established Member
Just keep her limited and she should be ok until Monday. Have you noticed any swelling?
I haven't.
Where are you in Orlando? I know a fantastic vet here for orthopedic issues. One of my Labs has torn BOTH his ACLs and was treated by him.

I'm in College Park. Whereabouts is your guy? I've been looking out for a good vet.

tistan

Established Member
My 8 year old beagle has been doing the same thing. He limps but doesn't show any signs of pain. I took him to the vet and she said he probably strained a ligament. After a month of meds and limited exercise, he is doing better, but still limps sometimes.

bullitt1672

Established Member
Make her take it easy for a few days, when she needs to go to the bathroom take her out on a leash. If it still persists after a few days of her taking it easy take her to the vet for x-rays to see if it may be a hip or knee issue. I'd also get her started on a daily glucosamine supplement regardless of if it goes away or not to help out lubing up the joints. My lab has had an ACL repair (TPLO surgery) and will probably have to have it on his other.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I'm in College Park. Whereabouts is your guy? I've been looking out for a good vet.

He's actually in Hunters Creek. I live on the East side of town and I still drive down to him. Their entire staff is excellent, but Dr. Finnell handles the orthopedic issues. I have nothing but good things to say about him/them.

South Orlando Animal Hospital

Note: Most of the vets around Orlando refer ortho issues to AVS in Maitland. I had a less than stellar interaction with them before and have heard some not-so-good stories from others. SOAH does ortho in-house.

Having said all that, my folks live at the CC of Orlando and I know my mom was reasonably happy with the vet she takes their Pugs to in College Park. I believe she was off of Edgewater.

bam

Established Member
He's actually in Hunters Creek. I live on the East side of town and I still drive down to him. Their entire staff is excellent, but Dr. Finnell handles the orthopedic issues. I have nothing but good things to say about him/them.

South Orlando Animal Hospital

Note: Most of the vets around Orlando refer ortho issues to AVS in Maitland. I had a less than stellar interaction with them before and have heard some not-so-good stories from others. SOAH does ortho in-house.

Having said all that, my folks live at the CC of Orlando and I know my mom was reasonably happy with the vet she takes their Pugs to in College Park. I believe she was off of Edgewater.

Get the name of the College Park vet, if you could. I've heard good things about one place nearby; curious to see if it's the same place.

I'm going to give it some time, then maybe look into SOAH on Monday if it comes to it. Thanks for the recommendation. And thanks all for the advice.

203Cree

Established Member
May have just strained the muscle a bit. Hard to limit them. Just keep an eye on her. Tucker did the same thing, took him a day or two and he was good to go.

99GreenCobra

Established Member
My rotti cross would limp after resting. The vet told me nothing was wrong but it never got better. Turned out to be a torn acl. She had tplo surgery. Cost a few grand but I'm happy I got her all fixed up. But she never appeared to be in pain and never swelled up either.

Hope it's just a pulled muscle for ya. Sucks when your pup is down and out.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Get the name of the College Park vet, if you could. I've heard good things about one place nearby; curious to see if it's the same place.

I'm going to give it some time, then maybe look into SOAH on Monday if it comes to it. Thanks for the recommendation. And thanks all for the advice.

I believe it is Varsity Vet off Edgewater just south of Princeton.

iwannacobra5

Established Member
my wife is a veterinarian and she'd tell you to take it in to get it examined. i'm not sure i'd take the advice from anyone on my animals unless it was a vet....

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
if its gets worse or not better after a few days have it checked out.

treating pets has got so big it seems they get better treatment than humans.

Users who are viewing this thread