Does this sound right to you?

joec

Established Member
I just got my car fixed. Here's the bill. I have a feel I got ripped off a little bit, what do you think?

Rack and Pinion unit (completely assembly) - 289.99
Shop Labor for Rack and Pinion install - 235.00

2 Front motor mounts - 87.76
Shop Labor for installing motor mounts - 80.00

Oil change (Pennzoil 10w30 syn) - 59.50
1 Fuel Filter - 17.76

Tailor Mag Wires - 149.00
Shop install - 40.00

Parts total - 589.02
Labor total - 396.00

Subtotal 958.02

Sound about right?

--------
ALSO -

Just a note to Cobra owners, you may already know this, but some may not.

FYI - my motor mounts went bad in my Cobra, causing my rack and pinion to malfunction. According for a Ford Service Tech, this is a very common problem in Cobras. He said that they see at least 1 Cobra every couple months come in and his motor mounts failed, causing his oil pan to bust, therefore causing engine failure because there is no oil. Just thought i'd let everybody know. But i'm sure you guys probably already knew.

:>

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I know you definately got raped on the synthetic oil and filter! The shop I use charges $60/hour and are very fair in the time they quote to do the work. You need to find a local Mustang shop you can develope a relationship with.

joec

Established Member
yeah, i know, but there's no local mustang shops around here that i know of :\

i just recently moved to Evansville, indiana. Haven't had a chance to go around and look :\

Speed Demon

Established Member
The motor mount thing is true and it can, and will if not taken care of, break the rack and pinion. When the motor mounts break, the oil pan sits right on the rack, when you get on it, the torque of the motor pushes down on the rack and either cracks the oil pan or the rack, either way not a good thing. The labor to install the rack sounds pretty high to me, did that include the alignment, because it shouldnt take more than an hour or so to put the rack on, only 2 bolts, a couple of hoses,take the steering shaft loose, and knock the outer tie rods off the spindle

Users who are viewing this thread