Does this sound like an idler going bad?

Maverick-4

Established Member
Cobra started making this loud "chirping" sound and I cant quite pin point where it coming from. Car is never driven in the rain.

The sound is on the front of the engine sounds almost like from idler on the front or rear belt, what could it be? :shrug:

th_VID_20130514_201034_297_zpse3669532.jpg

Direct link if video wont play..
http://s841.photobucket.com/user/secretspyder/media/VID_20130514_201034_297_zpse3669532.mp4.html

Last edited:

b_dike

Established Member
I would love to listen, but your vid isn't working. Have you tried taking the belt off to see if the sound is still there? With the belt off check each pulley to see if it spins, and doesn't wobble.

Just a basic way to troubleshoot.

Maverick-4

Established Member
I would love to listen, but your vid isn't working. Have you tried taking the belt off to see if the sound is still there? With the belt off check each pulley to see if it spins, and doesn't wobble.

Just a basic way to troubleshoot.

I will try that right now! lol, weird video should work, it should take you to photobucket and start playing automatically, dumb photobucket..

Maverick-4

Established Member
It does take me to photobucket, but no video... :shrug:

Man you were so right, removed supercharger belt and turned the car on briefly and noise is completely gone, so now I'm going to check for noise manually turning the idlers

Maverick-4

Established Member
Thanks all!, confirmed is one of the remaining stock idlers, not only is the bearing failing, there is a large crack right thru the idler it was ready to explode! :uh oh:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Thanks all!, confirmed is one of the remaining stock idlers, not only is the bearing failing, there is a large crack right thru the idler it was ready to explode! :uh oh:

Yipes!! I sold my stock idlers to a guy that had one of his seize up, the screaming was terrible. IMHO, best to replace them with something a little more solid.

SVTDice

Established Member
I replaced all of my bearings as well. If its the belt you can spray water on it and the noise should go away...If it does its the belt, if not its the bearing.

b_dike

Established Member
Man you were so right, removed supercharger belt and turned the car on briefly and noise is completely gone, so now I'm going to check for noise manually turning the idlers

Glad you found the problem. :beer:

Good thing you caught it before it completely blew apart. They can do some serious damage.

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
yup just had my one and only remaining stock idler explode on me, shredding the belt. oops :D

Users who are viewing this thread