Does the navigation stereo have the same watts/power as the Shaker 1000?

KG/Eleanor

Established Member
I was thinking of switching to the factory Navigation stereo set up but I really like the sound of the stock Shaker 1000. I got a price from Ford of $1800 installed. Will I loose any watts or will the factory speakers in the trunk not be pushed as hard after making the head unit switch?

jcthorne

Established Member
The nav head unit will not drive the S1000 subwoofer unit. It does work very well with an aftermarket amp and either the S1000 subs or aftermarket subs.

Anything else I can tell you about the factory nav unit? I have one and have been very pleased with it even though I do not use the nav functionalitly much at all. Its a MUCH better head unit.

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Does anyone know how the NAV head-unit reacts to having the battery disconnected for any period of time? I.e. does all the waypoints, radio settings disappear? Or are those stored in a more non-volatile memory?

Just curious as to what to expect this spring when I fire up the GT500 again.

mobeydick

Established Member
With cars like these why would you want a Navi. system. These things are all about pointing in a direction and winding in somewhere you didn't expect too!!

jcthorne

Established Member
Because the navi head unit with touchscreen controls is a FAR better stereo for tunes on that long and winding road. Especially with the HD-Radio upgrade.....

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Ok, now I'm curious - what HD radio upgrade? I just got an '08 Expedition (for the wife) with the Nav head (I'm guessing it's the same as the GT500 - it's not "Sync").

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
With cars like these why would you want a Navi. system. These things are all about pointing in a direction and winding in somewhere you didn't expect too!!

For me I think the touch sceen looks so much better than the ug
Shaker 500/1000 head unit. Plus I wanted a rear camera.:banana:
Very rarely do I use the Nav.:dw:

I went aftermarket btw

jcthorne

Established Member
Ok, now I'm curious - what HD radio upgrade? I just got an '08 Expedition (for the wife) with the Nav head (I'm guessing it's the same as the GT500 - it's not "Sync").

Ford has an HD-Radio upgrade package. Its a dealer installed (or you install) plug in upgrade. Available with or without an Ipod control interface as well. Runs a bit over $200 for the full HD/Ipod unit. Works pretty well. Great digital radio sound.

Users who are viewing this thread