DOES THE COBRA REALLY HAVE THOSE PROBLEMS

G-STANG

Established Member
Ok guys, I need to know exactly which run of 03 Cobra's had that ticking noise and rear end pop. Where all the cars affected or certain build date cars. I''m going to look at a silver 03 Saturday and need to know. Of course the owner says, yeah she runs mint never heard of those problems. I'm just curious. Thanks

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Well supposedly all the 03's might encounter the tick. I have a 2nd run 03 and have had some subtle problems with my car. I have had my car back to the dealership a dozen or so times. I have had the rear end pop fixed along with several other problems. Don't let this scare you off. Most of the problems have been addresses and are easily fixed. I love my 03. I have no drivers side head tick to date. Take the car to a mechanic of your choice and have them check the car out for you. They can scope it to check for the drivers side head tick. GL with your purchase.

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
Either my car is perfect or I'm just not picky enough, either way no problems here and the car was built June 6, 02.

allens-03

Established Member
i test drove a grey 03 cobra last weekend at brandon ford,it was the color i wanted but after the test drive it was ticking really loud from under the driver side front behind the wheel.needless to say i didnt buy that one,but the one i purchased had no noise at all.bolth were drivin the same mileage

davidmax

Established Member
These cars have no more problems than 03' Vettes or Mbezes.Peop;e who buy these are enthusiasts and want perfection,no such thing.Some are better than others and some are downright lemons,but thats why we have 36/36 warranties and Fords as good as Chevy on taking care of us.
Buy the car you wont be sorry,in 30 years of building Cevs I have never seen a car that puts out so much H.Power for so little money,theres just no better bargain in the HI-PO world,Dave Smilovic.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Well supposedly all the 03's might encounter the tick

That is completely wrong. Only the cobra's made before 11/1/02 are supposed to have the cylinder head that ticks. There are some reports of ticking with the newer cars, but generally its the 1st and 2nd run cars.

03_SilverBullet

Established Member
I have a 2nd run vert that has only been back to the dealer once for a new fog light (condensation build up). It has 8,000 miles on it. I had the rear pop, but I installed subframe connectors and haven't heard it since.

These cars are like any other specialty vehicle. Most are build well with maybe a few things to fix/adjust and a small percentage that are built, well, not so well. And yes, for the most part, we are a tough crowd to please. These cars are incredible to drive and modify. Go for it.

:burnout:

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
That is completely wrong. Only the cobra's made before 11/1/02 are supposed to have the cylinder head that ticks. There are some reports of ticking with the newer cars, but generally its the 1st and 2nd run cars.

I think that's why he said "might." Your point is well made however.

nj7703

Established Member
Still no probs here. made my 1st 400+ mile road trip this weekend. Nothing unusual, was in bumber to bumber traffic for 45 min, no overheating. Mine was built 1/03. I have no mods, and so far no complaints :)

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
my fault cito, I didn't notice he said might. Then he is not completely wrong, but for the most part, the newer cobras have the updated cylinder head.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
DOES THE COBRA REALLY HAVE THOSE PROBLEMS

Is this a trick question?:p I haven't met a Cobra owner yet who hasn't had a little misfortune. Then again I haven't met a Mustang owner without a little misfortune.

My 85GT came stock with vibrating brakes, overheating engine, and the notorious gurgle in the dash (squeaky, leaky T-Tops were an added bonus). After a few minor fixes, the problems went away. Every car has problems (even the untouchable Honda's and Lexi).

03cobra#116

Established Member
Originally posted by FX-Man
Either my car is perfect or I'm just not picky enough, either way no problems here and the car was built June 6, 02.

What he said, even down to the same build date. And tomorrow on the way back from work I will cross over 19000 miles.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobra#116
What he said, even down to the same build date. And tomorrow on the way back from work I will cross over 19000 miles.

Mine is near the same date and the ony problems I have had are very minor. Could it be the original production cars are far better than the later production runs???

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
Originally posted by HotRodHarry
Never had a prob with my heavily modded 03 Cobra ....just an awesome car!!!

Hot Rod(so is the Mach 1 too)Harry :D
www.HotRodHarrys.com

In the interest of disclosure I believe HotRodHarry only had 1500 miles on his car when he sold it. Not exactly a torture test. Pretty much any mod will last if you don't drive the car.

Pretty much everyone has the drive lash clunk which is just part of the car I guess. No major issues for me.

Users who are viewing this thread