Does Good Gas Exist Anywhere in the Baltimore/Md Area??

5.0jake

Established Member
I have data logged trying many gas stations in my area and they all pretty much suck! Especially Shell.
Stock I don't knock much at all (a little false knock) but even the most conservative tune knocks for me. I am told that it's mainly the crap gas i'm using.
I ran pure Sunoco 260 100 octane and saw significant improvement in my logs, verifying its a gas quality issue. Unfortunately I tried adding Torco but saw no improvement in knock activity at all.

Basically I can't run a tune until I can find some decent pump gas:(

So anyway, does good gas exist anywhere in the Baltimore/Md Area?? I mean verified via datalogging?

5.0jake

Established Member
There are two Shell stations right outside of Fort Meade that I go to and don't have a problem.

Which ones specifically? I am near that area all the time.

5.0jake

Established Member
Well it depends how aggressive your getting with it.

BP is typically what we use, it's the most consistent of them all.

Maybe good in your area but I did try a BP in my area (near Owings Mills) without success.

Basically everything in the Owings Mills, Towson and Pikesville area has been absolute crap for me.

Have you or anyone heard that the 13-14 GT's are having more ping issues compared to the 11-12 due to the lack of oil squirters making the pistons run hotter?
My tuner (not Bama) mentioned that the 14' especially are having the most ping complaints due to the pistons running hotter.

Last edited:

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
We dont usually push cars to the point where they're riding the knock sensor.

We've got plenty of 650+rwhp cars running around the area on pump gas without any pinging. There's no reason an N/A car should be on kill to the point where it's riding the knock sensors.

5.0jake

Established Member
We dont usually push cars to the point where they're riding the knock sensor.

We've got plenty of 650+rwhp cars running around the area on pump gas without any pinging. There's no reason an N/A car should be on kill to the point where it's riding the knock sensors.

I hear you but my tuner (very reputable and loved on these forums btw) says that the tune is super conservative but I'm still seeing knock activity at WOT/driving around. Bad gas is the primary blame and false knock a part of it.
Stock tune looks fine in comparison. If it was mainly false knock wouldn't my stock tune datalog display similar knock activity output as well?

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
How much timing is the car making?

The answer to that is not completely simple because I've worked with 2 different tuning companies and It's actually been a little while now as I've sort of given up (I'm back to stock now).
If memory serves correct:
First tuner:
The first tunes would display high spark early (26-27) advance then retard (pull timing) then advance. I then got a couple more revisions each commanding less timing than the last but still seeing knock.
The final revisions start with low spark at the start of the pull with a very light advance throughout the revs. This worked pretty good like if I log a wot pull from 2k-5k rpm in 3rd I see no positive knock with mostly timing being added throughout the pull; however, if I go WOT starting at 3k rpm and up or downshift I see positive knock every time.
I've been told no knock is acceptable so I decided to try another tuning company since this tuner was running out of ideas
The next company:
At first I was seeing 25-27 degrees and a lot of knock activity but after multiple revisions was at around 18-22 throughout the pull, like stock but still knocks when driving around and at wot.
This company is saying false knock is occurring and that needs to be addressed before tuning around the bad gas issue. I asked how I'm still seeing more knock than stock even with the tune being super conservative? They replied that the Ti-VCT cam timing changes are producing a lot more torque than stock farther exacerbating the source of my false knock...
I do know I get some false knock because my stock tune shows +1 (never any more) of knock randomly driving around that doesn't go away even when running 100 octane race gas.
I also noticed I will get knock when revving it in neutral further pointing to false knock not under any load.

Both companies told me bad gas was definitely an issue and the second company said I had false knock and bad gas induced knock activity.
I also noticed when I ran the race gas with the tune I only saw the +1 knock activity like stock further proving that I am experiencing false and bad gas knock.

Sorry about he long winded answer...

scott_0

Established Member
knock is going to happen, in a perfect world there would be no knock, if that were the case, we wouldn't need knock sensors then would we?

5.0jake

Established Member
Understandable and I can deal with a little here and there. Like I said stock I see +1 pretty regularly but never more. I'm definitely seeing a lot more tuned.
My tuner has said no knock is acceptable and engine damage occurs when you see it.
So how much is considered generally acceptable?

scott_0

Established Member
Understandable and I can deal with a little here and there. Like I said stock I see +1 pretty regularly but never more. I'm definitely seeing a lot more tuned.
My tuner has said no knock is acceptable and engine damage occurs when you see it.
So how much is considered generally acceptable?

out of curiosity, who's your tuner? it's not Adam from Revolution is it?

Ablaze

Established Member
I am through PG, Charles County, Annapolis, Baltimore, etc all the time (trying to get some miles on the Shelby) and have always gotten my gas from BP, Shell, Exxon with no issues. I know this doesn't help, just saying I don't believe it's the gas but I hope you get whatever is going on resolved.

5.0jake

Established Member
out of curiosity, who's your tuner? it's not Adam from Revolution is it?

My brother's tuner is Adam at Rev Auto. You may have seen that on another thread.
As far as mine, we can take that off line if you want.

scott_0

Established Member
My brother's tuner is Adam at Rev Auto. You may have seen that on another thread.
As far as mine, we can take that off line if you want.

not really worried about it that much, just curious man, that's all

steeltoe

Established Member
If you live Baltimore why would you get a crap mail order from Bama instead of going to Rev Auto and getting a proper dyno tune?

5.0jake

Established Member
If you live Baltimore why would you get a crap mail order from Bama instead of going to Rev Auto and getting a proper dyno tune?

My current 14' is not tuned by Bama.

My 12' was but I had never heard of Rev Auto back then.

5.0jake

Established Member
I am through PG, Charles County, Annapolis, Baltimore, etc all the time (trying to get some miles on the Shelby) and have always gotten my gas from BP, Shell, Exxon with no issues. I know this doesn't help, just saying I don't believe it's the gas but I hope you get whatever is going on resolved.

My car doesn't have any issues with pump gas from any location when stock.
My issue is only when tuned and I wouldn't have know there was knock to begin with without datalogging, the knock certainly isn't audible.
Is your shelby tuned or stock? Have you datalogged to ensure there aren't any know issues?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread