Does anyone still use a clock radio or traditional alarm clock

SHOdown220

Established Member
I would never want my cell phone in our bedroom. Too much of a distraction.

How so?

I'm throughly surprised no one has a four legged alarm clock. My oldest cat lays right down on my chest and purrs up a storm when it's time for me to wake up.

My dog is lazy as F. she goes to sleep before I do and wakes up after I do. I have to drag her drooling ass off my couch to go out and pee in the morning. Laziest Husky in the world lol.

I do however have a 2 year old that works as my alarm clock on my days off. Today is my late day at work so I get to sleep in... 6:05 hes standing at my face "daddy I wanna watch Daniel Tiger" over and over.

quad

Established Member
I just had a random thought and was curious am I about the only person that still uses a clock radio/alarm clock instead of using their phone?
Yes I use an Echo Spot with Alexa built in. Best device ever! If Amazon decided to spy on my so be it. I'll moon the bastards or talk dirty for them! I can change the temperature in the house, turn the TV off or change the volume all via voice command. The alarm time can be set and deactivated by voice.

My wife uses her phone as an alarm. I don't like that because I don't want someone calling or texting me when I am sleeping. I leave the phone as far away from the bedroom as I can.

I also prefer not to wake up to an alarm and am fortunate enough where I only have to do that a few days of the year. Most of the time I can sleep until I decide I want to get up since I have worked from home for years and make my own schedule.

142392-smart-home-review-amazon-spot-preview-image1-zeaxk4izvb.jpg

quad

Established Member
I haven't used an alarm clock for over 3+ years. We have an Amazon Echo on our bedroom dresser and every night when I go to bed I say, "Alexa, wake me up at (5:30 AM)". I don't have to touch anything. All voice controlled to set, snooze and stop. It's part of my regular routine now. Been using the Echo and Alexa for the last two years or so.
Yes that's a great gadget Bob and also the Amazon Echo Spot shown above which has a LED display that can play videos, photos, music etc. There's a built-in camera so you can have video calls as well. I have it connected to our Ecobee 4 Thermostat and Nvidia Shield and Samsung TV.

You have to add these skills via the Amazon Alexa app on your phone. I have tested it with a few apps and you can pause / play videos on the TV via voice but the integration is not 100% there yet for all services. For example I can't get the TV to turn on by voice but I can turn it off with my voice. This is a common issue that people have noticed. I am sure future version of the software will fix that.

We have a smart plug in the bedroom for the two bedside lamps. I can turn these lamps on and off by voice. Total integration is here!

SHOdown220

Established Member
I'd want to check it when there's no need, like most people I'm sure. I don't need to worry about phone calls, email and texts while I'm trying to sleep. That can all wait until morning.

Understood. I too am on my phone way too much but for some reason I never am when I go to bed. I plug it up to charge and I'm done. I guess I just want to make sure I have a way for someone to contact me at any hour since both my father and father in law drive trucks throughout the night.

Mackey

Established Member
I do have a clock radio in the bedroom still. It's one of the old-school ones. It has the correct time but I haven't set an alarm on it in years.

I've since moved to an Amazon Echo Spot for an alarm... Everything in our house is voice controlled now either by an Amazon or Google product.

nxhappy

Established Member
if this was 1998, I would say yes.

LMAO why not use your ....um......CELL PHONE

ViciousJay

Established Member
I do and it scares the **** out of me and I hate it (sounds like Defcon 1). I'm the type of guy if I hear an alarm crazy or soft wakes up and put my feet on the ground within 30 sec and starts walking around with one eye open and scratching my ass or balls.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I seriously pulled mine out of the drawer two days ago and looked and my wife and laughed. I had had that thing for maybe 20 years, so me through most of my Military career. It dated just like an 8 track player.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
same.

between 530- 545 no matter what
Same as well, except I've been sleeping in closer to 6:30-7 now that I WFH.

I have profound hearing loss, so the only alarm to wake me up was one that you put under your mattress and it'd vibrate. If you ever tried it when you were wide awake, you couldn't really tell. However, when you're asleep, it felt like the world was crashing around you and I'd jump my ass out of bed every time.

Users who are viewing this thread