Does anyone know of an OEM Ford valve stem TPMS sensor that works on the 07-09 cars?

RioRed4v

Established Member
Forscan brotha.
Plenty people done it. I will be doing it in the next few weeks

Just curious but what are you using to connect it? I did some brief research on it and when I saw people mention having to buy devices that's what turned me towards getting the sensors. Granted, if I spent the money on a device instead I wouldn't be regretting not being able to air down without a light lol. Forscan seems cool but also a bit over my head when I was browsing it.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
What type of valve stem are you going to use?

I've searched, albeit briefly ( sponsors of this site, and the major mail order go fast companies), but I can't seem to find a speed approved and certified valve stem. I will be removing my sensors, going with a high quality valve stem, and turning off that stupid TPMS warning light with Forscan.

Just a question for those who know, if you got a flat tire running TPMS sensors, how fast do they warn you? I have driven without them and it takes 15 to 20 minutes for the computer to recognize the sensors aren't even there Even when I ran them with 20 psi, it took the same amount of time to get the warning light.

Does it take 15 minutes after your tire is flat for them to alert you as well? If so, they are totally useless in my opinion.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
From what I've seen, the OBD2 breakout box you need to buy from Amazon costs like $25, and the Forscan is free!
Just curious but what are you using to connect it? I did some brief research on it and when I saw people mention having to buy devices that's what turned me towards getting the sensors. Granted, if I spent the money on a device instead I wouldn't be regretting not being able to air down without a light lol. Forscan seems cool but also a bit over my head when I was browsing it.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Oh, nice! That's definitely cheaper than some of the devices I was seeing to use. Do you have to leave it plugged in?
Yea you can get pretty cheap ones. I was considering getting the $60 one they recommend as there is no switch flipping and will hit all the modules guaranteed. But this is still atlest half price of the sensors to possibly have the same issues.

PM-Performance

Established Member
What type of valve stem are you going to use?

I've searched, albeit briefly ( sponsors of this site, and the major mail order go fast companies), but I can't seem to find a speed approved and certified valve stem. I will be removing my sensors, going with a high quality valve stem, and turning off that stupid TPMS warning light with Forscan.

Just a question for those who know, if you got a flat tire running TPMS sensors, how fast do they warn you? I have driven without them and it takes 15 to 20 minutes for the computer to recognize the sensors aren't even there Even when I ran them with 20 psi, it took the same amount of time to get the warning light.

Does it take 15 minutes after your tire is flat for them to alert you as well? If so, they are totally useless in my opinion.

I never knew valve stems were rated. I use plain old regular valve stems and havent had issues and run 40-140/150 rolls on the regular
Yea I do not think the sensors are all that fast either from my memory when they worked.

RioRed4v

Established Member
No. Just for flashing.

Good to know since I run the Aeroforce gauges. Has anyone had issues flashing the changes for stuff like this while also running an aftermarket tune?

Yea you can get pretty cheap ones. I was considering getting the $60 one they recommend as there is no switch flipping and will hit all the modules guaranteed. But this is still atlest half price of the sensors to possibly have the same issues.

I need to look again because yea, for $60 it seems like the way to go. When I was looking I was seeing ones being referred in the $130-$150 range which is what pushed me towards the sensors. Might be doing a deeper dive on this since it seems like Forscan can change a bunch of things.

I never knew valve stems were rated. I use plain old regular valve stems and havent had issues and run 40-140/150 rolls on the regular
Yea I do not think the sensors are all that fast either from my memory when they worked.

Not sure how they are rated, but I did ask Discount about this when getting my tires/sensors mounted sinceI saw some people going back and forth about metal vs rubber stems. Supposedly the metal stems are less likely to be sucked in to the wheel at high speeds but they are primarily used for track purposes where they have to meet certain criteria. Guy at Discount said he's never personally heard of any issues with the rubber ones though and said he likes them better since they are less likely to get bent.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The 2013/14 oem GT500 valve stem shown below on the left is the best structurally built that I have seen when doing a side-by-side comparo with other metal bolt together valve stems.

002.jpg

003.jpg

It appears to be a Very Nice stem....with or without a TPMS sensor hanging on the end......and 200mph.

R

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Robert,

Do you have a p/n for those? Also, stupid question, can the stem be used without the TPMS sensor? If so, this is the route I'm going! Nice solid piece of 200mph Ford engineering !

Thanks!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert,

Do you have a p/n for those? Also, stupid question, can the stem be used without the TPMS sensor? If so, this is the route I'm going! Nice solid piece of 200mph Ford engineering !

Thanks!

I have those 2013/14 stems in my DuraBright Alcoa's w/o the stem mount TPMS. The TPMS I am using in those Alcoa's are the band type that originally came with that car.

There are apparently two part numbers in the Ford listing so it can get confusing, one has the metal/stainless washer below the stem nut, and one may have a nylon washer and includes some newer applications. The part number I have shown below is the stainless washer version. Be aware, it will be approx. $175 for this set of four stems, they only are available with the sensors as an assy.....

001.jpg

At almost $200, they may be considered to be removed in a "back to stock" situation!! LOL!!!

When I was looking for these valve stem assy's, the cheapest I found was $41ea.

R

PM-Performance

Established Member
Holy christ! those are some expensive valve stems. I was about to buy a set, but that kills it for me. My plain jane valve stems have been ok so far at my speeds. lol
Great info to know though

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Holy christ! those are some expensive valve stems. I was about to buy a set, but that kills it for me. My plain jane valve stems have been ok so far at my speeds. lol
Great info to know though

I have not priced them recently, how much do they cost now?

Back in the day when I bought them, a set of CJ Pony alum. valve stems w/TPMS sensors were $145, I spent about $20 more (approx. $165) for the 2013/14 stainless stems with sensors, but that was a few years ago.

R

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Robert,

I did re-read your reply in my valve stem thread, before asking again here for the part number, and when I click on the supplied part numbers for the valve stem I was getting $47 as the price for the valve stem, that's why I needed to re ask the question again. It didn't make sense that a valve stem should cost $50 but apparently it includes the sensor.

So there is no way to buy just the valve stem it appears. That's terrible safety practice by Ford. Valve stems should be replaced every tire change in my opinion even if they are metal. There must be a supplier of those stainless steel valve stems to Ford, perhaps some detective work needs to be started to find the original source. I do like the stainless steel look as well.

I'm assuming the 2013 and up sensors are compatible with all year cars?

I am still going to try to source a valve stem only. Does anybody know the valve stem's diameter hole on a stock 19 in wheel?

As far as a rubber only valve stem, as stated before in other threads by me and other members, many racing organizations prohibit their use, and we have direct comments from a member who routinely drove on the Autobahn in his 2010, stating he ran into valve stem leakage at sustained speeds. I may appear overly concerned about nothing, but if I were to buy a parachute, I wouldn't shop at Walmart. I just want the best part in that location.

Thanks

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert,

I did re-read your reply in my valve stem thread, before asking again here for the part number, and when I click on the supplied part numbers for the valve stem I was getting $47 as the price for the valve stem, that's why I needed to re ask the question again. It didn't make sense that a valve stem should cost $50 but apparently it includes the sensor.

So there is no way to buy just the valve stem it appears. That's terrible safety practice by Ford. Valve stems should be replaced every tire change in my opinion even if they are metal. There must be a supplier of those stainless steel valve stems to Ford, perhaps some detective work needs to be started to find the original source. I do like the stainless steel look as well.

I am still going to try to source a valve stem only. Does anybody know the valve stem's diameter hole on a stock 19 in wheel?

As far as a rubber only valve stem, as stated before in other threads by me and other members, many racing organizations prohibit their use, and we have direct comments from a member who routinely drove on the Autobahn in his 2010, stating he ran into valve stem leakage at sustained speeds. I may appear overly concerned about nothing, but if I were to buy a parachute, I wouldn't shop at Walmart. I just want the best part in that location.

Thanks

There is no way to buy the 2013/14 GT500 "stems only" that I have found, it appears that they only come with the sensor.

As for fitment, they fit the Durabright Alcoa's which had the same size stem hole from 2007-2012 and they seal well.

R

PM-Performance

Established Member

Thanks

The sensors are not compatible with 07-09 cars. only 10-14
I do not think comparing stock non metal valve stems to shopping to walmart for offbrand stuff. Its what the cars came with and was tested. I agree for super high sustained speeds, its probably a hazard in a worse case scenario, but I am sure there are worse hazards.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Mine are original, almost 11 years old now. If all that's holding them to the rim, is friction, I'm definitely changing mine.

The more I've looked around online, the more I'm convinced cheap valve stems are a point of failure. So many organizations ban them. A lot of fast bikes run into issues too.

Below are the 2010 GT500 style, 2013 GT500 style, and my DD 2012 Nissan Altima ones... My "Datsun" has better quality, aluminum valve stems, than my GT500 The p/n for the 2010 style, is used in a lot of Ford's trucks and cars, that are barely able to do 110mph. I want something with a nut, holding it on. Might splurge, and just get the 2013 style. Would make a nice upgrade, if finding a metal only stem, becomes a roadblock.

I've also found some "valve stem" only possibilities...more info needs to be found on their compatibility and strength.
20200619_013616.jpeg
20200619_013523.jpeg
20200619_013655.jpeg
20200619_014017.jpeg
20200619_014126.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Mine are original, almost 11 years old now. If all that's holding them to the rim, is friction, I'm definitely changing mine.

The more I've looked around online, the more I'm convinced cheap valve stems are a point of failure. So many organizations ban them. A lot of fast bikes run into issues too.

Below are the 2010 GT500 style, 2013 GT500 style, and my DD 2012 Nissan Altima ones... My "Datsun" has better quality, aluminum valve stems, than my GT500 The p/n for the 2010 style, is used in a lot of Ford's trucks and cars, that are barely able to do 110mph. I want something with a nut, holding it on. Might splurge, and just get the 2013 style. Would make a nice upgrade, if finding a metal only stem, becomes a roadblock.

I've also found some "valve stem" only possibilities...more info needs to be found on their compatibility and strength.View attachment 1647060View attachment 1647061View attachment 1647062View attachment 1647063View attachment 1647064

The problem with the metal valve stems in the Performance/Specialty Valves pictures you linked above is that they are not TPMS stems, there is no place to attach the sensor if a stem sensor is used. Also some of them have a nut that will not fit in the hole depression in the wheel, been there, done that. Those "Kics" stems will fit the hole and they have the narrow nuts, but no TPMS attachment. There are aftermarket bolt-in alum. stems out there that do both, I have Black stems in 2015/16 Super Snake wheels, and posted pictures of two aftermarket Silver variations in post #29. In post #29 the stainless stem on the left is oem 2013/14 GT500, so I don't consider that "aftermarket".

Also, some of the stems have a larger rubber grommet/seal for a larger hole in the wheel, they will not fit in a wheel with a smaller valve stem hole. I have been through that also. it seems like the "TR" stems shown in your pictures above are designed for a wheel with a flat surface mounting, like a steel wheel where the stem hole is not in a depression in the wheel as is the case with many/most alum. wheels.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread