Does anyone have any experiences with the Toyota 4Runners?

myrare1

Established Member
Sorry for posting this on a Ford site but I think most of you guys are car guys regardless. I am looking at buying a 2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited. I am curious about what kind of vehicles these are. Are they reliable, safe, comfortable, things of that nature? It only has 40,000 miles on it and seems to be in perfect condition. I would feel more comfortable buying this vehicle after hearing from you guys/gals.

Thanks

P.S. It is for my wife that is why I am not asking about a cobra.....yet.

Clockwerk

Beep! Beep!
Established Member
I use to own a 00 limited SR5 that I used as my beater, before I bought my Lightning. Overall it was a great vehicle, I even tried to kill it (personal reasons) by not changing ANY of the fluids for like 23,000+ miles, still carried on. Seats arent that comfortable but not too bad. Only problems I had was the rear window went off the track a few times, and the front end made poping sounds when i cranked on it..

On a further note, I ended up selling it to my roomate, who was crazy, one night, (after I sold it to him) we went joy riding down the hiway at about 70mh when he shifted it into reverse, it skidded and stalled, started right back up and we were on our way again..we did this about 4 times, nothing broke, at least as far as i could tell and its still running to this day. If I bought another SUV it would be a 4runner.

smuggler

Banned
I've owned a '94 and a '99 4Runner.
They are awesome trucks. If I was going to get a 4x4, it would be another 4Runner.
They're totally reliable, and they will take a serious beating in the woods if you're into that.
As a daily driver, they're excellent, smooth SUVs. I highly reccomend one.

I even tried to kill it (personal reasons) by not changing ANY of the fluids for like 23,000+ miles...
...we went joy riding down the hiway at about 70mh when he shifted it into reverse, it skidded and stalled, started right back up and we were on our way again..we did this about 4 times
Why the hell would you do this to a perfectly good 2000 vehicle? What a f**kin waste. :rolleyes:

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
My dad has one but barely drives it. Instead he drives the 1990 civic to work everyday :rollseyes

It's a 94 with like 25k miles and it's been nothing but solid in those little 25k miles. I'd say go for it.

sikwitit36

Banned
I dont know what kind of 4 Runner these guys had but Ill tell you my Uncle had one and wanted to burn that sumbitch because it was nothing but junk. He bought it brand new for my aunt and hated it since the day he bought it. Had no power at all. Which is typical for all Toyotas. No intereior room. Uncomfortable as shit. (I could vouch for that). Most of the problems were mechanical fault from the engine but it was always in the shop. Im prety close with him and I remember he used to bitch about that thing all the time. I dont think he had it but 3 months and he made my aunt trade that pile.

Some will say well you just had a poor built one........Get the hell out of here. Everybody I have ever known that has owned a Toyota or a pile of shit Nissan has said that was the worst vehicle they have ever owned. I will never buy a Nissan or Toyota of any model. Id trust a car built by Nike before I was ever seen in one of them puddle jumpers.

smuggler

Banned
sikwitit36 said:
Some will say well you just had a poor built one........Get the hell out of here. Everybody I have ever known that has owned a Toyota or a pile of shit Nissan has said that was the worst vehicle they have ever owned.
And you own three Chevys? :rolleyes:
Had no power at all. Which is typical for all Toyotas.
Yea, like those bullshit Supra TT's :rolleyes:
My parents have a Tundra V8 TRD, and that thing has some balls. I've driven pretty much every full size 4X4 sold today, due to working at several dealerships, and the Tundra is the most fun of all of them. I drove a Hemi Ram that had more snot, but other than that, the Tundra is the fastest hands down.

My mom has owned nothing but Toyotas since 1982. And the only repair she has ever had done was a timing chain on her '97 Camry which had 160K miles on it at the time. And that's not an exaggeration. They absolutely run forever.
I broke my first 4Runner on a logging trail, beating the living piss out of it. But until then, it never needed anything but routine maintenence. The 99 I had felt brand new until the day I sold it. I'd buy another one today if I had the cash.

Sounds like your uncle had a lemon, believe it or not.
But how many things could've gone wrong if he only had it for three months? Sounds like he just didn't like the thing anyway.

I can't speak for all Nissans, but we had a '92 SE-R come into the dealership I work at with 285,000 miles on it, and it still ran perfect and handled amazingly, especially for a FWD car.

IMXCITD

Established Member
As a general rule ....most people that I know who have owned them really like them. A little small inside (narrow) and a little lacking in power...but overall very nice and toyota reliability. Should make a nice ride for your wife.

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
I owned a 1990 model and loved it - Toyota quality through and through. Compared to American SUV's, kinda cramped inside, and while the V6 wasn't wimpy, I wanted a bit more, uh, pep, so I dropped an LT1/4L60 combo in it - problem solved! :D

If you aren't into the big American rigs, the 4Runner is the one I'd get!

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
I have a good friend who owns one, their experience with the vehicle has been wonderful and they drive 55,000 miles a year, they own a 1999 model with 193k miles and they have had no major issues to date. Great vehicle.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I had a 95 4Runner that I put 287,000 miles on it before I sold it. I never had any problems with it except normal wear and tear (had to replace some hoses at around 210,000).

Right now I have a 2001 SR5 4X4 4Runner, and I love it. I've had no problems what-so-ever with it. Very comfortable for cruising, and awesome off-roading.

If you get the 2000 you will get the better engine (3.4 V6 instead of the old 3.0).

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
My friend, her dad owns a 4Runner and we've beaten the crap out of it on a regular basis. Takes a lickin' and keeps on going strong.
We finally packed it in after we got er' stuck when trying to take a shortcut where the dirt road U'd around a small pond (geee, the grass didn't look THAT soft!)
:rockon:

Great truck. I think I might buy one, never know.
Also quite capable off-road, from the factory.
Power is good, it won't pin you in your seat like a lightning but it's good, about what you would expect.

I don't know if Toyota has taken care of the problem but the older 4runners have a problem with rust, especially in the fender wells above the tires. I live in a low-salt area, we barely have any salt, cars don't rust quickly, but these toyotas have some pretty big issues it seems - even as lat as 1989. My froend had an 89' Toyota pup and he had to scrap it because it was just too far gone as far as the body is concerned. Corollas have the same problems too.
So, with only 40K it likely won't be an issue - just something to check out if you plan on getting an older one instead.

Good truck, I like em'
I'm trying to convince dad to look at a new tundra right now myself...

Users who are viewing this thread