does anyone have a how-to cat gutting?

morrison_205

Established Member
im looking to gut my cats. they rattle at idle in drive and pop after i shut down and it is kinda embarassing actually. can anyone fill me in on how to gut my cats or do i need to have a muffler shop do it.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Forget gutting them. Go down to an exhaust shop and have them weld in a piece of pipe in place of the cats. Takes all of 20 mins for them to do.

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
any shop down here will do it..they should..just take it to them and tell them you would like to have them remove the cat and weld in a pipe in place. castellano muffler will do it.he likes to charge an arm and leg though...he wanted 100 for 4 cats.... caribe muffler ....go through the phone book and call and ask how much they want to do it.

and if your dead set on guttin the cat just use a piece of rebar ar inch pipe.and wack away untill its hollow.ive done it before and i dont liek the way they sound.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
My exhaust was made at Castellanos, as mentioned above. When I installed my LT's, I removed the last 2 cats with pipe. I dont remember how much he charged me for it though since this was last year. Any shop should be able to do this. If they look at you funny, go find another place.

203Cree

Established Member
Most shops won't actually do it as it's a very hefty fine if they're cought in the act. I believe it's 250k to the shop and the same to the tech that did it.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I used a drill with a ling piece of metal that we bent the tip on. Then a hammer and knock it out-Shane

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
Most shops won't actually do it as it's a very hefty fine if they're cought in the act. I believe it's 250k to the shop and the same to the tech that did it.

never heard of that, does it apply in places like Florida where theres no emissions?

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
never heard of that, does it apply in places like Florida where theres no emissions?
Its federal law so yes it applies in FL.

VIOLATIONS of one or more of installation requirements could result in the installer being liable for a penalty of up to $25,000 for each violation, under provisions set forth in the EPA tampering prohibition law specified in Section 203 of the Clean Air Act, 42 US Code, Section 7522, amended in 1990, and under the CARB rules and regulations pertaining to aftermarket catalytic converters.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
I had my cats gutted when I put the O/R pipe on. he just wacked at the inside till it was all out. Then I had him cut the pipe in one spot and slip the empty cat housing over the pipe. That way it looks like I have cats and you don't get the hollow sound that happens when you just gut them.

morrison_205

Established Member
ok so when i gut my back two cats am i going to throw a code? and will my truck start to stink real bad? my GFs cat went out one time and her exhaust smelled like rotten eggs.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
You will smell the truck a lot more now without the cats. I love the smell when I run some race fuel, so I dont mind.

Users who are viewing this thread