Does anybody know these seats?

Lobo

Established Member
I just came across these seats here and wondered if anybody has them. They look nice as far as I can tell, and the price of $360 for the pair can hardly be beat.

They also weigh in at 14.7 lbs, which is great. I'm just not sure if it's really worth it to pay like 4-5 times as much for a seat that weighs the same from a name brand like Sparco etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lobo

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Aha. :-D

A friend had seats like that in his 95 Cobra, and for trips over 2 hours we were in pain. Ingress and egress was very tricky. Can't comment on the wear characteristic since he only had them for 2 months.

For autocross use they were perfect!

They look like a good enough price so that you can get em and swap em in and out for autocross use exclusively.

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The site says 14.7 lbs for each seat. What do you estimate the total weight savings would be by switching to them, at least temporarily, for the strip? I DO know that the drivers seat weighs about 2 Tons, with all the electric junk on it. When I pulled it out, I couldn't believe how heavy it was!!

Dana

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Would you guys think it is worth doing? I was thinking about getting the seats that the Cobra R uses. Does anyone have any experience with cloth or leather racing seats, because I can't decide what to go with.

Stupid question: Do all racing seets require aftermarket brackets?

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
Why would anyone want to remove the factory seat? It's comfortable, it's fully adjustable, it matches, it keeps the interior stock........

Is 50lbs or less of weight savings really worth it?

I say screw the aftermarket seats, keeps the stock ones, and put that 400 bux towards something else in performance that will equal out that weight savings.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Well, a lot of us have done the exhuast/pulley/chip. So the next step besides the TB and headers would have to be a bigger supercharger or turbo and that will cost much more. So at least for me, now that I have done the bolt ons I am going to try to lighten the car up until I get a bigger power adder.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I have a set of Recaro Sport's going in the week after next. Not really a weight issue for me I just want a MUCH better seat, IMO the stock seats are probably the worst I have ever sat in. Check www.recaro-nao.com
sport.jpg

Mine are all black with the "Recaro" embroidered in grey. Oh yeah price is about $700 per seat plus adapter bracket.

Lobo

Established Member
Originally posted by NeedForSpeed
Why would anyone want to remove the factory seat? It's comfortable, it's fully adjustable, it matches, it keeps the interior stock........

Is 50lbs or less of weight savings really worth it?

I say screw the aftermarket seats, keeps the stock ones, and put that 400 bux towards something else in performance that will equal out that weight savings.

I have to admit, I like the stock seats, but how can I make a 4-pt harness work with them? Maybe if they had two struts and not just one, cause the way it is with the stock seat the harness would fall off left and right every time you get out, that's what bothers me. The aftermarket seats have two nice holes that support a harness perfectly.

Lobo

Lobo

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
Aha. :-D

A friend had seats like that in his 95 Cobra, and for trips over 2 hours we were in pain. Ingress and egress was very tricky. Can't comment on the wear characteristic since he only had them for 2 months.

For autocross use they were perfect!

They look like a good enough price so that you can get em and swap em in and out for autocross use exclusively.

Now did he have these exact seats or others? 'Cause I'm not sure if're trying to tell me that the ones I'm talking about are uncomfortable or if you're just referring to all full-bucket seats in general...

Lobo

coleman

Established Member
given the weight of our cars already. how much HP would be needed to offset 50lb of weight savings?

are we talking only a few HP?

IOW, how much more HP would it take to propel our car the same time in the 1/4-mile?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
Would you guys think it is worth doing? I was thinking about getting the seats that the Cobra R uses. Does anyone have any experience with cloth or leather racing seats, because I can't decide what to go with.

Stupid question: Do all racing seets require aftermarket brackets?

I have the Recaro Sports in my 01 and 95R (besides the 00R's). For normal driving they are very comfortable as long as you arent to big (ie: wide in the rear) ;).
My wife doesn't like the seats though (and she is not big) because she feel constrained in them, so opinions vary.
For a dual purpose track/street seat, I believe they are one of the better seats.
Mark Wilson in the R forum is a distributor for Recaro, so if you are looking for good prices and service, he can help you.

Brian

mosconiac

Established Member
I believe the "rule of thumb" for typical street cars (cars in the 12-14 second range) is 10rwhp=100lbs=0.1seconds.

In other words, if you add 10rwhp, you should run 0.1 seconds quicker in the 1/4.

The same can be said for weight, if you remove 100lbs from the vehicle, you should run 0.1 seconds quicker in the 1/4.

So in the case above, removing 50lbs by changing out the seats should save 0.05seconds in the 1/4 or be the equivalent of adding 5rwhp.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
So in the case above, removing 50lbs by changing out the seats should save 0.05seconds in the 1/4 or be the equivalent of adding 5rwhp.

:lol: Thanks for the explanation Mosconiac! I guess that explains how seats are an aesthetic, rather than a performance, mod...

This is funny. I was thinking this morning on the way to the office to get some things done (and settling in my nice comfy stock seats while driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway), how nobody had complained about the stock seats in a while. There are adjustments to make the fit easier people, they're right there on the right side of the seat. They're even electric. ;-)

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Cobra-R-- thanks for your help. I will see if I can find Mark Wilson. In your cobraR's did you ever try leather race seats?

mosconiac-- I am not sure you can apply that to all cars though. There is so many variables and so many differences between a 12sec car and a 14sec car. Also, it may seem like a small difference, but things add up. For example, just deleting the back seat won't make a huge difference, but if you delete the back seat, get race seats, carbon fibre hood, lightweight suspension parts, lightweight driveshaft, and maybe even a solid rear axle instead of the heavy IRS. .and thats when everything comes together and makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread