Does a '96 Cobra have four cats or six?

Twisted2

Established Member
Finally found a stock pipe to pass CA smog. It only has four cats though, and I've been reading that these cars have six. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Twisted2

Established Member
For a hot idle test, it will not matter, either set up will pass.

I'm sure they'll sniff well. It's the visual I'm worried about. They really don't play with that stuff, out there. If it's not what came on the car, they fail you...and treat you like they caught you with a bag of heroin. Lol.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
My 97 Cobra has 4 cats from the factory. I have a pic if needed. This car came from Nevada.

My 97 GT had 6 cats.

Twisted2

Established Member
I'm glad to hear that some cars had four. I was getting myself all worked up. I wonder if it was by state, whether cars had four or six. Good info!

97PacificGreen

Established Member
Mine has four stock. I believe only GTs had six and cobras had four. Mines a 97 and my buddies 97 Gt has six. Mines purchased in Nevada idk where original buy was. His had a California life.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I recall many years ago someone had posted picture evidence of them removing the front shields on their stock h-pipe and there were actually 2 cats under each of the large front shields, meaning the 96-98's actually had 6 when they appeared to only have 4.

dynamo

Established Member
i will go up in my attic tonight and check, i saved the stock pipe with the cats in case i ever might need them.
no not tonight, its 93 out in michigan would be 150 in the attic, lol

Users who are viewing this thread