Dodge Avenger faster than a Mustang GT..??

Speedwagon

Established Member
Anyone get annoying neighbors that just because your car sounds loud they think you are racing through their streets.. One Saturday evening the wife and were coming back from a nice dinner and driving through the neighborhood.. All of a sudden this dude almost jumps in front of my car yelling "Slow the hell down"!!! I looked at my speedo and I was only going 28 on a 25 posted speed limit. I was sooo pissed that I reversed the car rolled down my window and said that I was only going 28 bud!! Him and his wife disagreed.. I took off (not speeding) and that was that... So.. my wife drives a 2013 Dodge Avenger V6 ... This past weekend there seemed to be a party going on at "said neighbors" house... I decided to do a little experiment and drive by them doing 35.... Whata know... didnt even bother to look my way. Do you guys ever get that??? Chaps my azz to no end... :mj:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Way back in the day I had a 90's Ninja 600 with exhaust. Neighbor next door had an infant. Whenever I started the bike to leave the house this bitch would lose her mind. She'd come yelling at me about waking her baby, then of course I'd have to do the obligatory rev the motor so I wouldn't have to hear her.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Never have had that problem. Living in the sticks rocks (no pun intended)!

oldmodman

Established Member
Sure has.

I used to ride a Ducati 900SS with very loud high pipes. It sounded like I was riding down the block at 200mph when I was only going 75. :rollseyes

Thank GOD it was in the days before car alarms. I would have set most of them off.

scott_0

Established Member
yup, used to get it all the time in my supercharged Fox Saleen back in the day, lol Id be driving under the posted speed limit and get that shit!!!!! there was a commercial a few years ago, forget what car it was for, but the car was parked curb side, and this old man, stops and yells at the car to slow down lmao

here it is! lmao
https://youtu.be/12CDQ5UlLGU

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
This has happened to me a few times in my neighborhood, my buddy and I both left in our cars (both loud) going slow probably in the 23-27mph range and got the ol' " I'm calling the cops next time" I pay them no mind and just keep to myself. As far as your test in the avenger i can believe that as well, no kidding this 16 year old flys by. I'd say at least 45mph in his aviator. Nobody says anything about that, he gets the bird every time i'm out in the yard and see him pass.

Speedwagon

Established Member
Way back in the day I had a 90's Ninja 600 with exhaust. Neighbor next door had an infant. Whenever I started the bike to leave the house this bitch would lose her mind. She'd come yelling at me about waking her baby, then of course I'd have to do the obligatory rev the motor so I wouldn't have to hear her.

LMAO!! Of course .... :)

Speedwagon

Established Member
yup, used to get it all the time in my supercharged Fox Saleen back in the day, lol Id be driving under the posted speed limit and get that shit!!!!! there was a commercial a few years ago, forget what car it was for, but the car was parked curb side, and this old man, stops and yells at the car to slow down lmao

here it is! lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3GOFqVSyI

LMAO!! Thats about right

Speedwagon

Established Member
Sure has.

I used to ride a Ducati 900SS with very loud high pipes. It sounded like I was riding down the block at 200mph when I was only going 75. :rollseyes

Thank GOD it was in the days before car alarms. I would have set most of them off.

I feel the pain ... Just seems a little ridiculous.

Rct851

Established Member
The most obvious thing is the way people drive around me. For example leaving a red light the people next to me take off so much faster than normal and the guy behind me is all over my bumper. I really don't get it. Of course if I accelerate with them my piece is going to get real loud (by non motor hobbies the standards) and I'll get dirty looks for that too. So either I'm going to slow or to fast. No in between

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ive had the same problem with an asshat neighbor a street over. He came out swinging his arms every time he heard me or others coming around the bend (even though we would be at 15-20mph if that). He got really mad when he tried that shit and I did the same, then proceeded to do a nice burnout too. He stopped after that, especially after I made it a habit to intentionally drive that way out of my neighborhood. You arent neighborhood crime fighters, and your ownership stops at the end of your property line. I had great respect for my neighborhood and being quiet, all except for the area in and around this asshats house. People like him just target people with cars they can hear, you could fly by at 40-45 in any other car and he wouldnt even turn around, do 15 in say a Mustang and he would lose it.

MFE

Established Member
I was in second gear.. cant recall the rpm's but couldnt have been more than 3500

3500 in a Mustang sounds like you're doing 80. I use the highest gear possible to keep the revs as low as I can. I could do 50 and nobody would know. OTOH I have a neighbor who cruises out of the sub in his Borla-equipped Termi at about 4000 rpm in a low gear every single time. He's not going that fast, but non-car people think he's flying and it's pissed off other people. My advice: Don't be that guy.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I was in second gear.. cant recall the rpm's but couldnt have been more than 3500

So you're inviting this kind of attention then. Assuming you've got a car with exhaust on it that is louder than normal. You may not be speeding, but you're not doing yourself any favors by cruising through your neighborhood at an unnecessarily high rpm.

I shouldn't be the only one in here that lament some common courtesy. When you turn in to your neighborhood, put it in higher gear and instead of being yelled at to slow down, maybe you'll get positive comments on the car. :shrug:

Speedwagon

Established Member
Ive had the same problem with an asshat neighbor a street over. He came out swinging his arms every time he heard me or others coming around the bend (even though we would be at 15-20mph if that). He got really mad when he tried that shit and I did the same, then proceeded to do a nice burnout too. He stopped after that, especially after I made it a habit to intentionally drive that way out of my neighborhood. You arent neighborhood crime fighters, and your ownership stops at the end of your property line. I had great respect for my neighborhood and being quiet, all except for the area in and around this asshats house. People like him just target people with cars they can hear, you could fly by at 40-45 in any other car and he wouldnt even turn around, do 15 in say a Mustang and he would lose it.

eeeeyep.... same kind of idiocy going on near my house.

87hatchy

Established Member
So you're inviting this kind of attention then. Assuming you've got a car with exhaust on it that is louder than normal. You may not be speeding, but you're not doing yourself any favors by cruising through your neighborhood at an unnecessarily high rpm.

I shouldn't be the only one in here that lament some common courtesy. When you turn in to your neighborhood, put it in higher gear and instead of being yelled at to slow down, maybe you'll get positive comments on the car. :shrug:

I completely, 100%, disagree with what you said. It doesn't matter what RPM you are at or how loud your car is. You're either speeding, or you're not. There's no reason for people to flip out and scream/yell/gesture to slow down when they do not have a radar gun and have no idea how fast you are going.

The common courtesy is NOT on the driver to put it in a higher gear. It should be on the neighbors to mind their own business

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
its the punk image of the mustang and camaro, its loud, so he/she must be driving too fast. I get glares from many of my neighbors when putting thru the neighborhood. My loud ass C5Z on the other had, longtubes, no cats thru billy boat PRT bullets got constant thumbs up and waves, go figure :shrug:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
For what its worth, when I cruised by this area, it was never at high rpm, as I respected my neighborhood. It didnt matter though, this guy one time ran out of his house, he wasnt even in his garage, and was waiting there on the sidewalk hands on his hips and then points. Its like he was sitting there, watching the game and then hears this car 1/4mi away, throws the remote and flips out and runs outside just to see who it was, probably leaving his wife and kids like "wtf is he serious again?" scratching their heads still sitting on the couch. Probably the same type of guy that beats his wife too because he has some lack of power in his life so he needs to feel like he has to exert control somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread