Doctors vs Gunowners

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
Doctors vs Gunowners

Doctors

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
Statistics courtesy of US. Dept of
Health and Human Services.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Now think about this:
Guns

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
(Yes, that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is ..000188.

Statistics courtesy of FBI

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So, statistically, doctors are approximately
9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT
ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this
alarming threat.
We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!
Out of concern for the public at large, I withheld the statistics on
lawyers
for fear the shock would cause
people to panic and seek medical attention!

01vert

Established Member
Sounds like even if you went with the number of deaths by firearm (not stolen) then owners are still safer than doctors.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I would love to see the person that crafted that email provide legitimate sources and not cook the books quite so much. But then again, when are chain emails supposed to be realistic.:shrug:

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
I would love to see the person that crafted that email provide legitimate sources and not cook the books quite so much. But then again, when are chain emails supposed to be realistic.:shrug:

So why don't you prove it wrong. I'm not saying it's right or wrong.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Which figures do you doubt? The 80,000,000 guns in the U.S.? It's probably somewhat higher.

Or the 1,500 firearms deaths per year? If I recall crrectly, they are including gun-related suicide in that figure, not just violent crime.

Jim Snover

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
So why don't you prove it wrong. I'm not saying it's right or wrong.

Well, to begin with, no clear estimate of the number of gun owners exists, but the highest reports I've seen come out of Harvard's School of Public Health and place it closer to 54 million. That alone raises the number of "accidental gun deaths per owner," a metric which isn't even defined in this email.

Further, the email suggests that the 700,000 physicians each share a part in the 120,000 accidental deaths, and it also ignores how many hospital/clinic visits were performed total. What the email doesn't tell you is that those 700,000 physicians performed something in the neighborhood of 1 billion "visits" (from simple general physician office visits to surgeries). It also doesn't tell you that the accidental deaths predominately occur in patients who's overall well being is significantly diminished thereby leaving them more likely to die in any office/hospital visit before the physician even has time to do anything (or it may simply be out of their control).

They are loading the numbers (numbers which, again, they don't even substantiate) by selectively picking which ones make their point appear relevant.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Which figures do you doubt? The 80,000,000 guns in the U.S.? It's probably somewhat higher.

Or the 1,500 firearms deaths per year? If I recall crrectly, they are including gun-related suicide in that figure, not just violent crime.

Jim Snover

If they are including gun-related suicide then the numbers are far worse. The CDC claims (as of 2003) 2317 fiream suicide deaths for those ages 55-64, 2075 suicide deaths for those ages 15-24, 2927 suicide deaths for those ages 35-44, and 3279 suicide deaths for those ages 45-54 all involving a firearm.

And the email references "80 million gun owners," not "80 million guns."

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Those damn Doctors...ruining everything for the healthy.

I own a couple of guns and I visit my Doctor, neither have killed anyone.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
earliest reference I can find to this is 2003. least they could do before sending it around again is update it with current stats ...

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
stupid, moronic factoid, that is completely pointless.

if there are 700,000 physicians, and the average physician sees 25 patients a day (some see many more than this), then in any given day, there are about 20 million patient interactions. within each patient interaction, there are usually several decisions made where 'life ending' mistakes could be made (especially during surgeries)---so maybe even 50 million interactions. if you take into account hospitalized patients receiving blood, medications, etc, then there might be well over 100 million interactions every single day.

do you honestly think that there are 100 million 'gun interactions' daily?? that is, do you think 100 million guns are discharged daily in the US??? come on people, think a little bit.

groundhogfx2

OK it does state ACCIDENTAL....Suicide is not accidental...That's homicide.

Now lets take another view. If Obama and co. provide affordable health care like they say, then the number of people seeing doctors will increase. I suspect the number of doctor related deaths goes up:shrug: Cause you won't have a choice in health care, or the cost.

If McCain get's in , he'll let you decide if you want to see a doctor, who might make a mistake, or you find one who doesn't make mistakes.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Now lets take another view. If Obama and co. provide affordable health care like they say, then the number of people seeing doctors will increase. I suspect the number of doctor related deaths goes up:shrug: Cause you won't have a choice in health care, or the cost.

If McCain get's in , he'll let you decide if you want to see a doctor, who might make a mistake, or you find one who doesn't make mistakes.

WRONG!!

you'll always have a choice in who you receive healthcare from

nice 2nd post. do you honestly think most people without health insurance care about paying for hospital visits?? ever been to a major hospital ER and looked around a little?? nobody is turned away if they need to be seen by a doctor, regardless of their ability to pay, son.

universal health care will never happen. doctors have been getting paid less, and less EVERY single year since the 80's--universal health care will mean even less money for physicians. we will strike before we take any part in a universal health care program.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
WRONG!!

you'll always have a choice in who you receive healthcare from

nice 2nd post. do you honestly think most people without health insurance care about paying for hospital visits?? ever been to a major hospital ER and looked around a little?? nobody is turned away if they need to be seen by a doctor, regardless of their ability to pay, son.

universal health care will never happen. doctors have been getting paid less, and less EVERY single year since the 80's--universal health care will mean even less money for physicians. we will strike before we take any part in a universal health care program.

Hopefully, although physicians seem to be better at fighting amongst themselves as opposed to organizing a unified front against the insurance companies.

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
Not completely relevant but......there was a man that broke into a house one time and he had a gun. He demanded money from the homeowner and the homeowner said he had it in his room. Gunman said go get it, your daughter stays here in the kitchen with me. Man went to bedroom but instead of getting money, he came back with his gun and shot and killed the gunman in the kitchen. The homeowner was a doctor.

Where's this one fall into? Both? The doctor killed with a gun. Hmmm...

BTW, this happened here in my city a few years ago....

Users who are viewing this thread