Doctoral Degrees

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Phd?? don't waste your time. M.D.--maybe still worth it, but not as much as in the past.

99cobraR

Established Member
PhDs are worth it depending on where you want to go with it, I know quite a few PhDs in pharmacology and they are all millionaires. Anyways right now I'm in school for a PharmD

Last edited:

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
A Phd is also good if you want to teach on a university level. I am working on my Masters in Vehicle Design Manufacturing Administration right now and I thought about getting my Phd. I mean it is like 7 classes for me so it is almost like why not.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I have an M.S. in biochem and I'm working on a Ph.D in biomedical engineering.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
PhDs are worth it depending on where you want to go with it, I know quite a few PhDs in pharmacology and they are all millionaires. Anyways right now I'm in school for a PharmD

Pharm.D is a funny degree, it still makes you a pharmacist. It gives you nothing that a B.S. Pharm. doesnt have.

It was created because pharmacists hated explaining medications and interactions to their customers, who would reply "but my doctor said..." Now the Pharm.D's tell customers they are doctors as well. Yet it is quite deceiving to a pharmacy customer, as Pharm.Ds are not physicians. It is sort of like a college english professor (Ph.D) saying he is a doctor, which in ordinary circles infers that person is a physician.

You dont see lawyers telling people they are doctors, yet they have a doctorate that in most circumstances is harder to get and more intensive than most Ph.Ds.

SpectorV

Established Member
I plan to work towards mine but... I dont want it until I have the experience to back it up else I would never be able to find a decent job... If you have low experience and a high education its hard to find a job.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
My roommate is working towards his Ph.D. in Business Administration right now (or something along those lines - business related.) He's mainly doing it for the increase in salary that comes with it since he already had a B.S. in electrical engineering and an MBA from aTm.

bugmenot

Established Member
I have an M.D. and I am finishing my J.D.

Where are you going for your J.D.? It is something I have thought about after getting a 4 year year degree, just not sure if I could get in based on the competition. How do you like it, and how far along are you?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I graduate next december. I am involved on many levels including law review, national moot court and mock trial. I am also a teaching assistant. Law School is highly competitive and requires a lot of work in the first 1.5 years.

99cobraR

Established Member
Pharm.D is a funny degree, it still makes you a pharmacist. It gives you nothing that a B.S. Pharm. doesnt have.

It was created because pharmacists hated explaining medications and interactions to their customers, who would reply "but my doctor said..." Now the Pharm.D's tell customers they are doctors as well. Yet it is quite deceiving to a pharmacy customer, as Pharm.Ds are not physicians. It is sort of like a college english professor (Ph.D) saying he is a doctor, which in ordinary circles infers that person is a physician.

You dont see lawyers telling people they are doctors, yet they have a doctorate that in most circumstances is harder to get and more intensive than most Ph.Ds.

Thats the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while lol. They implemented the PharmD over a BSPharm because there are 1000% more rxs being written now compared to 30 years ago. The college of pharmacy at kentucky is one of the most respected pharmacy colleges in the US and we are really innovative in the field of pharmacy. Of course, a PharmD isn't a physician, and a MD isn't a pharmacist. Deceiving? About what? PharmDs know far more about drugs than MDs.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
PharmDs know far more about drugs than MDs.

kind of like saying the stewardess knows a lot more about mini pretzels and peanuts than the pilot.:poke:

honestly, our hospital has pharmd's that show up to trauma/resuscitations (that's the only time i see them), and the only thing i see the pharmd doing is drawing up the dose of medication that the MD tells them to, and then gives it to the nurse to administer--i'm sure there's more to the job than that, but most MD's know enough about a certain drug. they're not going to be able to tell you the specific bioavailability, 1/2 life, and every little irrelevant side effect, but that stuff is not always important.

99cobraR

Established Member
I'm not saying MDs don't know drugs, but PharmDs are extremely knowledgeable about a vast amount of drugs and they likely know more than the average MD outside of their specialty. PharmDs do a lot of double checking and modifications when MDs change up pharmacotherapy plans. But whatever, back to the main topic.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Thats the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while lol. They implemented the PharmD over a BSPharm because there are 1000% more rxs being written now compared to 30 years ago. The college of pharmacy at kentucky is one of the most respected pharmacy colleges in the US and we are really innovative in the field of pharmacy. Of course, a PharmD isn't a physician, and a MD isn't a pharmacist. Deceiving? About what? PharmDs know far more about drugs than MDs.

Yet the difference between the Pharm.D and the B.S. in Pharm is nothing. Sorry to offend you, but that is the truth. Pharmacists also dont titrate or make solutions like they did years ago. Now, they simply count out pills. Just because of the volume of drugs has increased doesnt mean the level of intricacy has, because it hasnt. Technology has made it easier for pharmacists. Pharmacists calling themselves doctors is deceiving to their customers. I use the word customer, because those people are patients of their physicians, not the person filling a script. While I am happy to admit pharmacists know more about drugs than most physicians, they arent doctors. Those with Pharm.Ds hold doctorates. Additionally, the grant of the title "doctor" comes from state licensure. There is no state that I know of that grants a Pharm.D the right to call themselves "doctor" as it creates confusion among physician's patients, when the pharmacist gives them "advice" beyond that of prescribing needs.

That still doesnt change the fact that the Pharm.D program as it is known today was meant to let pharmacist feel more important in relation to the physician. A true Ph.D in pharmaceutical science is a completely different beast. Those holding that degree are pharmaceutical researchers and in the field to develop new drugs along the side of other scientists. But than again, that Ph.D is a lot tougher to attain than a Pharm.D

bugmenot

Established Member
I agree with the Pharm. D. My sister was in a program for it, and though its not an easy program, you are not a doctor either. It is an advanced degree, think it required 2 extra years in the program she was in. Doesn't take anything away from them, but they also are not doctors, otherwise you would go to them rather than your normal doctor.

99cobraR

Established Member
Yet the difference between the Pharm.D and the B.S. in Pharm is nothing. Sorry to offend you, but that is the truth. Pharmacists also dont titrate or make solutions like they did years ago. Now, they simply count out pills. Just because of the volume of drugs has increased doesnt mean the level of intricacy has, because it hasnt. Technology has made it easier for pharmacists. Pharmacists calling themselves doctors is deceiving to their customers. I use the word customer, because those people are patients of their physicians, not the person filling a script. While I am happy to admit pharmacists know more about drugs than most physicians, they arent doctors. Those with Pharm.Ds hold doctorates. Additionally, the grant of the title "doctor" comes from state licensure. There is no state that I know of that grants a Pharm.D the right to call themselves "doctor" as it creates confusion among physician's patients, when the pharmacist gives them "advice" beyond that of prescribing needs.

That still doesnt change the fact that the Pharm.D program as it is known today was meant to let pharmacist feel more important in relation to the physician. A true Ph.D in pharmaceutical science is a completely different beast. Those holding that degree are pharmaceutical researchers and in the field to develop new drugs along the side of other scientists. But than again, that Ph.D is a lot tougher to attain than a Pharm.D

You really don't know what you are talking about but I'm not going to argue with you. Don't titrate dosages or make solution? Pharmacist compound medications everyday. PharmDs aren't doctors? If you have a PharmD you are by definition a Doctor of Pharmacy. State law protects the term "Pharmacist", as you must have a state license before you can call yourself a "Pharmacist", not a doctor. You are getting really hung up on the term doctor. Anyways, how much experience do you have with PharmDs? It doesn't sound like much because you're coming off quite negative. I noticed you using the term "customer" earlier but they are patients to us too. Sorry to bust your bubble but since 2003 pharmacists have been considered practitioners under medicare. A practitioner has patients. In KY PharmDs can prescribe too. I'm also questioning the confusion among patients you keep referring to. You make it seem as though a patient shouldn't ask questions to a pharmacist. A pharmacist is legally responsible for patient outcomes so of course they are an active healthcare provider, you are making them out to be a mindless prescription robot. Oh and to the other guy, a PharmD is a 4 year post graduate degree. I'm surprised you feel so strongly about this, most MDs I work with love the help they get from PharmDs.

Users who are viewing this thread