Do your homework! (Or buyer beware)

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Ok, I'm not asking for sympathy from anybody. It was my mistake and I have to deal with it. I just wanted to remind people to THOROUGHLY check out a car when shopping. I bought my '97 Cobra in mid-June this year knowing it needed some TLC. The mod list was nice, the interior is way above most 97k mile Mustangs, and I just had a good feeling. So, I didn't run a Carfax. BIG MISTAKE. I went yesterday afternoon to look at a low mileage (49k) '04 GT convertible just to check it out. It's an Independent dealer. Told the guy I was just considering a convertible and possibly trading my car. Their mechanic looked it over and drove it and was like "ok". Then they ran a carfax... This car has been in 2 rear-end collisions. News to me! I'm just super pissed and now disgusted with the car. And myself for not checking first. Sorry for the lengthy rant, but I just wanted to remind people to never trust a seller and DO YOUR HOMEWORK! That is all.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Yup, a few months ago I went to look at a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII that was 70 miles north from me w/o doing a carfax. Got there, looked great from 20 feet away. As I approached, however, you could immediately tell that the front was repainted (crappy quality job). Having a bad gut, I did a Carfax on my phone on the spot (car lot would not do a Carfax for me - claiming it costs too much money for them). Turned out it had a front end collision itself. It was a huge waste of a day off from work (8 hours pay lost), money spent on a rental thinking I was coming back in a Lincoln, and gas $.

Two days later the one in my sig showed up on Craigslist only 5 miles from where I work. WTF? And a rare color too.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Not the cars fault its been rear ended twice....neither is it the previous owners' fault.

I wouldnt worry about it. Its an omen that you should private sale...

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Oh, it drives great. And the report even said "minor damage" in both cases. It just bugs me. I had planned on selling the car next year for what I initially payed, (not including the work I've put into it). Now, I have to re-consider that because I WON'T intentionally screw a buyer over. Also, Weems, were you in Acworth today? I saw a white Mach with black wheels while test-driving the GT.

Sapperstang

Established Member
If the repairs were done right and there are no issues it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I just bought a truck with a clean carfax but now realize the passenger door has been beat back into shape followed by a crappy paint job.

tistan

Established Member
I don't understand why now days if a car has been in any kind of collision people think it is worth less money. As long as there was no frame damage, and the paint matches, there is nothing to worry about. If someone tried to knock my price down because the carfax showed some minor fender bender, I would tell them to get lost. If a buyer wants a perfect unmolested in anyway car, they can cough up the money to buy it new.

mustanginky

Established Member
i wouldn't think twice about buying a car that's been wrecked as long as it was fixed right. you can't stop an accident, it's going to happen. don't be so down on yourself. if it's driving/riding fine, then no worries. the average mustang buyer wouldn't be that concerned about it either as long as it was fixed right.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I don't understand why now days if a car has been in any kind of collision people think it is worth less money. .

B/c it is!

No one can honestly say that given 2 identical cars, but 1 was in an accident, they would pay the same for both.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
B/c it is!

No one can honestly say that given 2 identical cars, but 1 was in an accident, they would pay the same for both.

So if the rear bumper cover was scuffed from a tap but it was reported and although it was touched up you expect to pay much less?

A good paint/body shops work looks better than stock paint anyway.

And even in a decent wreck as long as the car is fixed correctly and has no issues it does not lose value.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Oh, it drives great. And the report even said "minor damage" in both cases. It just bugs me. I had planned on selling the car next year for what I initially payed, (not including the work I've put into it). Now, I have to re-consider that because I WON'T intentionally screw a buyer over. Also, Weems, were you in Acworth today? I saw a white Mach with black wheels while test-driving the GT.

Minor damage? Could have just been a bumper cover in both cases.

96SVTDvl

Hustlin'
Established Member
So if the rear bumper cover was scuffed from a tap but it was reported and although it was touched up you expect to pay much less?

And even in a decent wreck as long as the car is fixed correctly and has no issues it does not lose value.

This

I don't understand why now days if a car has been in any kind of collision people think it is worth less money. As long as there was no frame damage, and the paint matches, there is nothing to worry about. If someone tried to knock my price down because the carfax showed some minor fender bender, I would tell them to get lost. If a buyer wants a perfect unmolested in anyway car, they can cough up the money to buy it new.

I completely agree. My Cobra has been in quite a few accidents and you wouldn't know it without a carfax.

Five-ohh-Love

Established Member
As long as it runs and drives straight and you are happy with it, who cares?

I completely agree. My Cobra has been in quite a few accidents and you wouldn't know it without a carfax.

Agree.
And if you want another car just private sell. Dealerships are obviously anal about buying/trading cars that have been wrecked.

My car looks like it has around 40k original miles, everyone thinks its a low mile fox that's in great shape. It drives perfect in every way. That makes up for it having 167,589 miles and being rear ended twice. As long as its done right then i could care less if its been in a few minor accidents :thumbsup:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
B/c it is!

Its a mustang, not a ferrari.

You should only be worried if its a salvaged/repaired title. Then yes, its worth way less than a clean titled car.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

Never_Enough

Established Member

Yes, I'd expect to pay less for any car that has been in an accident vs one that has not everything else being equal.

Diminished value. It is real.

Users who are viewing this thread