Do you regret doing a build project?

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
I know we all spend thousands modifying our cars and I have thought about swapping my motor out for a Livernois stroked built 3V block a few times. So my question is do you all regret not going big and bad from the factory from the beginning as in a 03/04 Cobra or a GT500.

I have a buddy of mine that spent thousands on an 05GT, I mean at this point he could of bought 2 GT500's and had them modded. He always urges me not to get a block as so much money will be put into the project.... He always says you have to modify this and upgrade that. I guess he never guessed what would be neccessary to go into a build project. Maybe he thought it would be drop the motor in a go. Who knows?

Thoughts?

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I could have had a pretty sick 03/04 Cobra, but its unique. So, I'm 50/50 on the regret.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
I suppose it depends on how much fabrication is required. My lincoln was a PITA. It took me 2 or 3 years to finally get the quirks out of it. I finished the build in a year, however the electric gremlins and fabricated parts cost me a lot of wasted time, and money. It was a great experience though. I don't regret it, but I certainly didn't break even. There will be always one thing you don't think of til the end. My air ride was the reason why I sold it. But like I said, its all about how much is off the shelf and what has to be fabricated. Having nobody to seek advice from is also a major PITA. I sure do love my new factory car. Spending time driving it, over working on it is the key.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
The only thing that I regret about my build is not keeping it a little simpler. I look back at all the time and money spent and I would have been perfectly happy with some thing a little less. Still love my car though, just makes me mad when some thing stupid happens that delays the project from getting finished.

eclipsemustang

Established Member
yes, i have barely driven my car since i started, so many little things start to happen, i cant wait to switch to a terminator, my plans dont go much farther than exhaust and a pulley change

99cobra302

Established Member
i was going to write a long post about my reason, but short story is better

oil pump blew and f'ed up entire motor...required full rebuild =$$$$$

oil pump blew up again 3 weeks ago - got rid of underdrives, got melling oil pump, remind myself how big of a retard i am for not buying the melling the first time. but saved motor from needing entire rebuild this time = less $$

my big problem is that this is my daily driver, and when it breaks it seriously strains me financially and physically. it sucks borrowing a parents ride, and asking my g/f to drive me to and from work. i wish i would have bought a stock one and just did simple shit to it and been happy. performance cars make shitty daily's.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
i was going to write a long post about my reason, but short story is better
oil pump blew and f'ed up entire motor...required full rebuild =$$$$$
oil pump blew up again 3 weeks ago - got rid of underdrives, got melling oil pump, remind myself how big of a retard i am for not buying the melling the first time. but saved motor from needing entire rebuild this time = less $$
my big problem is that this is my daily driver, and when it breaks it seriously strains me financially and physically. it sucks borrowing a parents ride, and asking my g/f to drive me to and from work. i wish i would have bought a stock one and just did simple shit to it and been happy. performance cars make shitty daily's.

a project car requires a reliable dd... I don't know how I would ever have done it without another car to drive.

oldmodman

Established Member
I always go farther than I had planned. And spend at least four times the money that I originally intended. But since these projects are never daily drivers they can take up one of my garages for years. And since I am single the only complainer is me.

If I had four garages I would have three uncompleted projects.

Common

Established Member
The sensible thing to do is buy the top model and go from there. As we all know, this hobby is rather exepensive and almost all of the money is a waste, "investment wise", so dont cut yourself down even worse by doing a build with something that most arent looking for or it wont yield best possible return.

Yes it's neat to be different and a sleeper but at the end of the day, those things arent putting money into your account. Not that top models are, but it's much less regretable for most, because they get the top dollar in return. I have seen countless GT's, fully built, cages, trans, set up to run low 10, even 9, for like 20k?.....now THAT hurts. Those guys could have bought midly moded cobras that run 11s and had a gt for a DD if they wanted, and probably had money left......

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
All I'll say is this: this has been a wonderful experience and, I'll never mod a car again. I used to look at sports cars and think one day I'll have a built, blown, badass muscle car. Now, I look at Hondas/Toyotas/Hyundais and think: one day I'll get 36 mpg and a 10/100 warranty. It's all relative

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
The sensible thing to do is buy the top model and go from there. As we all know, this hobby is rather exepensive and almost all of the money is a waste, "investment wise", so dont cut yourself down even worse by doing a build with something that most arent looking for or it wont yield best possible return.

Yes it's neat to be different and a sleeper but at the end of the day, those things arent putting money into your account. Not that top models are, but it's much less regretable for most, because they get the top dollar in return. I have seen countless GT's, fully built, cages, trans, set up to run low 10, even 9, for like 20k?.....now THAT hurts. Those guys could have bought midly moded cobras that run 11s and had a gt for a DD if they wanted, and probably had money left......

bravo.gif
bravo.gif

Users who are viewing this thread