Do you let other people drive your vehicles?

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Ok so my story is 7 years ago a buddy let me borrow his mustang that was new at the time to drive to a testing site for a job I was applying for. I was out of town and too young to get a rental so he let me use it. I was super careful and was very grateful. When he came to visit me I let him use my jeep grand cherokee I had multiple times cause he let me use his car. Now he is coming up to visit for another friends wedding and wants to use my brand new Ram. I kinda said no in a nice way and he went off about how he let me use his car years ago and im a bad friend. Even though I let him use my jeep he claims because it wasnt brand new so its not the same. Am I wrong here? I feel guilty but he used jeep way more than I used his mustang. Feel like this is never gonna end and he is always gonna hang it over my head. Do you guys let others use your vehicles?

Zemedici

Established Member
If he's copping an attitude I surely wouldn't help him out, as you guys are even ATM.

But no I don't let people drive my cars for extended periods, if someone wants to run to the store or some shit sure. For days? No, I'm not enterprise. And their lack of vehicle planning is not my problem. He's an adult, rent a car like adults do.

MastaAce03

Established Member
Well, if we're talking about my mustang, no I wouldn't let someone else drive it. Having said that, I've had a bad experience before and don't wish to deal with that again. On the other hand, I would let my friend borrow another car to drive while he was in town. Really depends how good of a friend this guy is to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Glad I'm not in your situation. But, no I wouldn't let someone borrow my car to go to an event where they will probably be drinking. Wedding = reception = partay time! imo he's asking too much.

oldmodman

Established Member
My car or truck. No. Not for an extended time like that. But............
I might have offered to pay for a cheapo rental for a week. I get an econobox for under a hundred bucks with unlimited mileage for a week.
Make sure that it's all in his name. Don't put it on your credit card. Just hand him a C note. That's if he is a good enough friend.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Family? Sure.

Close friend(2-3 max) maybe. However, if they were new to stick or never driven a big truck, for example, then no.

Why does he need it for a wedding? Space to load more people in? Impress a chick? I don't think I could ask to borrow someone elses car, too paranoid if it could get scratched/freak incident.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I only have one friend I would ever let borrow whatever vehicle he wants for as long as he wants. Have done this for each other multiple times and never an issue, granted he's considered more family than friend. Helps he doesn't drink and could write a check for my vehicle if anything happened to it, lol.

It's all about trust and if you think they can be responsible. If your friend is heading to a reception and going to party than I would pass, unless I knew he had a hotel and wouldn't even consider driving. Just depends how good a friend he is and if he would do the same.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
It is for one day while he is here to go around to visit family while he is here not the wedding. He said he was testing me to see if i would, cause chances are he wouldnt need it. I would of had to take it to work he come with me, take it back he run his errands then come back to pick me up from work. And I would need to pick up my kids after work to take them to my daughters dance school. Kinda seem complicated to me. But he was trying to see my reaction, which in my mind is bs and manipulative. Just seeing what other people thought.

Zemedici

Established Member
It is for one day while he is here to go around to visit family while he is here not the wedding. He said he was testing me to see if i would, cause chances are he wouldnt need it. I would of had to take it to work he come with me, take it back he run his errands then come back to pick me up from work. And I would need to pick up my kids after work to take them to my daughters dance school. Kinda seem complicated to me. But he was trying to see my reaction, which in my mind is bs and manipulative. Just seeing what other people thought.

so he's a 13 year old girl? What is that shit? 'just to see what you'd say' is a girl explanation. :D

mcaligiuri

Established Member
so he's a 13 year old girl? What is that shit? 'just to see what you'd say' is a girl explanation. :D

yeah he said it was test and i failed miserably. I had to stop for a minute and think wtf he just said cause it sounded like something a child would say.

Zemedici

Established Member
yeah he said it was test and i failed miserably. I had to stop for a minute and think wtf he just said cause it sounded like something a child would say.

yeah that's so weird.....I wouldnt give it a second thought. You've got kids to take care of, he's grown. He can find his own way around. He can use Uber, hell there's apps now that have guys run your errands FOR you.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Honestly, doesn't sound like much of a friend.

I don't let my friends drive my cars anymore. Either they drive way too hard or they refuse to return the favor.

My good friend, drove a couple of my cars. Back in the day, he drove my pullied 10th anni Cobra and I gave him the keys without question. To date, he's owned the same cammed full exhaust/full bolt-on mustang, and he refuses to let me drive it to this day. He also drove my Mach 1 as well.

It doesn't bother me too much, but, I do believe in being fair with friends.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Rent him a car if you don't want to let him use your truck. He saved you would be rental fees years ago.

im giving him money for the rental he is getting to drive to the bachelor party cause the rental gonna be cheaper on gas. I gave him my jeep multiple times after he let me use his mustang. so in my eyes we even, not this 7 years later its not even crap. plus im getting laid off in a month so i very tight on money and still going to the bachelor party which he says i am being cheap on and hes working with me. I have a family and responsibilities i could care less.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Do you think you would've let him use your Jeep if he never lent you his new Mustang 7 years ago? I kinda feel like I can see why he would get mad. Some people (especially Asians) are real generous when it comes to letting friends use their vehicles. I guess he felt that you two were good enough friends that you could share something with him as easily as he would share with you. I think culture has a good amount to do with it.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Honestly, if one of my good friends pulled that crap I'd tell him to quit being a bitch. We all are rather blunt with each other. Only 2 friends that I would let drive my car. I had paid for a track rental 3 years ago, then ruptured my rt biceps tendon, so driving stick was a no go. I let him drive and race it. Why? Because I trusted him, told him if it broke it was going to happen anyway, and he hadn't taken a 10 second car down the track. Low 11s, but hadn't gone 10s. He even won a trophy that day. I had a ton of fun that day. My other buddy, his brother, drives a low 9 second 86 mustang stick car and has driven my car and I have driven his :) Way back when she was 590 wheel a stock ish LS1 T/A was picking on us and he laughed and nodded...that was funny. Kid driving the T/A was literally hysterical with excitement with how badly we pulled on him.
I tell them to hammer down, or they wouldn't do it. Mutual respect for each other. I've known them for 15+ years now too, so that doesn't hurt either.

Users who are viewing this thread