Do you have to shave the IRS bolt to run a 10.5 rear rim?

Quick97TA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Just curious, I've read that you have to shave or replace the IRS bolt to run a 10.5 rear rim with a 315 tire. Can you run a 10.5 rim with a smaller tire (295 maybe) and not have to make any changes to the bolt or would it still be to close a fit? Not sure if I would get a 17" or 18" rim.....

I'm thinking of ordering 10.5 DD bullitts with BFG KDW 295 tires......I'm hoping they'll bolt right up with no modifications needed....:thumbsup:

palehorse

Established Member
The safe answer is to shave the bolt or replace with MM low profile subframe bolts which are only 10 bucks. I have awaiting in my garage my new 10.5 rears with 315 going on when the weather gets warmer. I just repalced the bolts for insurance.

I think the correct answer is that "some do and some don't" hit the IRS bolt with the 10.5 rims and 315's. I can't imagine that 10.5 with less then 315 tires would hit, but no way to be certain. I do understand that some 315 are wider then others and thus more likely to hit the IRS.

The better safe then sorry theory says spend the 10 bucks and an hour of your time and replace the bolts when the new wheels go on.

mytjojo

Established Member
I just last week put on 18x10 DD fr500's with Nitto 305 nt555r I checked the wheel when it was mounted with the wheel / suspension under no preload. It was close but there was no rub, I also switched to an 18' wheel so when suspension is under load the wheel sits way above the bolt. It also depends on the car. It's weird , you take the same set up that I have and put it on another 03 04 and they might get rub.

Last edited:

Quick97TA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for the replys.

Since I'm going with a 295 tire I don't think it'll be a problem, but it's good to know it's an easy fix if it turns out to be. :thumbsup:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
If you run 18" X 10" wheels with either 285 or 295 tires, there should be no problems. If you run 17" X 10.5" wheels with Nitto 315 tires, there should also not be a problem as the Nittos are narrower than most of the 315 size tires. If you run 17" X 10.5" wheels with most brands of tires there is a high probability you may experience clearance problems. At this point, there are three different approaches for solving this problem:

1) Replace the IRS bolts with ones that have a thinner head,

2) Grind off or shave part of the head of the IRS bolt off, and

3) Run spacers on the wheels with either extended studs or lug nuts.

I chose approach number 3 (with 3/8" spacers and entended lug nuts) and have had no problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
I ran my AFS 03 Cobra 10.5" rims with a 38mm Maximum Motorsports hubcentric spacer, no problems. If you use a 10.5" rim (with the correct backspacing) and nitto 315 drag radials you shouldn't need to shave anything. But if you have the time and resources to do anything about that bolt, just do it and never worry about it again.

-Mike

fred50stang

Established Member
I can now contribute to this thread.

I just purchased the AFS 17x10.5 cobra rims and Nitto d/r 315's. With weight on wheels, the tire does not rub the bolt, however, weight off wheels it does contact the tire(slightly). My solution is, I am ordering 1/4 in spacers, and the MM bolt just for my added security.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I have the AFS 17x10.5 on order with some 315's. If i have the MM rounded IRS bolts and I purchased the 3/8th inch spacer. Do i need longer studs with the spacer or any special lug nuts?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
mine is about 1/4 inch away from the bolt head with 1/2 inch spacers. And the bolt head is shaved. With the bolt head in tack I would definitely rub when the rear is fully unloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread