Do you have to pull engine to do head replacement?

fakesnake.com

Established Member
For the TSB on the head replacement, do you have to pull the engine to replace the head? I was talking to a mechanic buddy of mine and he said on any 99-up Mustang he has worked on he had to pull the engine on a modular engine set up. He never worked on an 03 Cobra though.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I thought a head replacement was simple but my buddy was saying it is a pain and a lot easier to pull. Just curious what the dealers are doing and or how long it takes in hours.

Goldy

Established Member
Fakesnake,

You do not have to pull the engine to replace the head (many have had the head replace with the engine in place), though SVT as well as some mechanics state it's preferrable (and maybe easier) to pull the engine.

I had my left side had replaced (part of the TSB). The Ford dealership I used (Don Hinds Ford in Fishers, Indiana) did a wonderful job replacing the head. The mechanic who did the work insisted on pulling the engine to 'do the job right' (this was his opinion). One area where they ran into a little trouble was that they did not have the proper 'lifting parts' to remove the engine. Apparently, the 4 valve 4.6 engine uses different lifting parts/brackets than does the 2 valve 4.6 engine. As unbelievable as this may sound, not a single Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership in the Indianapolis and surrounding areas had these lifting parts/brackets. The dealership further told me the lifting parts/brackets were on back-order.

As luck would have it, a member of our SVTOA chapter had the proper lifting brackets (which he let the dealership borrow); he ordered a 4.6, 4v crate motor which came with the lifting brackets.

Good luck

Howard

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Think about it.... Do you really think they could get a torque wrench onto ALL of the exhaust manifold studs during re-assembly? I just don't think the job could be accomplished correctly with the motor in the car. Plus you can take advantage of the situation like I did and have them install a set of headers while the motor is out!

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread