Do you guys push your clutch all the way to the floor when shifting?

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Just curious if you guys slam the clutch to the floor when you shift, or if you just push it right past the grab point and then shift.

The reason I ask is beacuse my shifting seems so much smoother when I don't go all the way down, just a quick jab, shift, let off. I don't hear any grinding noises or anything, but Im concerned this could wear out my clutch or even damage the transmission much easier since it can sometimes be hard to tell if you have pushed it in far enough.

What do you guys think. Also I'm curious, where do most 03 owners clutches engage? Mine seems to engage about 1.5 inches from the floor, maybe a little higher, so it doesnt seem like theres any purposes in slamming the clutch to the floor.

RossSVT

Established Member
I never go to the floor unless I am comming to a stop. Just shift it to where it grabs.

ModsAway

Established Member
I just shift to where it grabs generally but during very sprited driving I'm suprised I haven't kicked it THROUGH the floor.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I have UPR's clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster and it's set so the grab/release point is very high. I only go as deep as needed to disengage the clutch. Going any further just adds to your ET.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
No need to go past the engagement point, particularly if you're shifting quickly. Once it's disengaged, there's no wear advantage in pushing more. Pehaps there's even a wear disadvantage to the Throw Out Bearing. I think it's easy to feel if you're not fully disengaged-- it's much harder to shift.

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by unit213
I have UPR's clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster and it's set so the grab/release point is very high. I only go as deep as needed to disengage the clutch. Going any further just adds to your ET.
On a side note did you notice a big difference between stock and the UPR? Did you have to make any mods to get the UPR to work right on your car or was it a straight bolt on.

Im thinking about the UPR Kit.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Originally posted by DSG03Snake
On a side note did you notice a big difference between stock and the UPR? Did you have to make any mods to get the UPR to work right on your car or was it a straight bolt on.

Im thinking about the UPR Kit.

It was a direct bolt on. It's a night and day difference IMO. One of my best non-power adding mods. It's a must!

Users who are viewing this thread