Do you give to homeless/street beggers?

tdschst

Established Member
Typically I don't, i read something somewhere a few years ago they can make $60,000 a year in a big city. I work in downtown Chicago and normally see someone on nearly every street, same people most of the time too. Today I was walking over to a Mexican place to grab a burrito but didn't realize they were closed Saturday's, so I decided to walk over to Subway to grab a sandwich. I see a guy in his upper 20s-lower 30s, with a sign saying homeless and hungry and he had his dog with him (looked to be about an 8-9 month old pit/boxer mix). I felt bad and gave him the change I had in my pocket, only $0.55, he said thank your and God Bless. I get to Subway and I got my sandwich and got them one to split as well. I walked back to him and handed him the sandwich and said split it with your pup, he said "thank you so much and God Bless you". I get to the corner and look back to see him taking the sandwich apart and giving the meat from it to his dog. Not sure if he really was homeless or not but it gives you a good feeling. I know I did it mostly for the dog but me being an animal lover, I felt like helping regardless.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
I do not! To me, and I'm probably wrong, but I feel like it's the same as the sign at the zoo; Don't feed the animals.

I know that for some of them, that it's not their fault they are, where they are. We're all a few bad decisions away from being in the same boat, but I work too damn hard to give my hard earned money away!!!

I see the same bums around my place all of the time. This one old lady sits outside McDonalds all the time. Last time I saw her, she was packing a pack of Marlboro cigs, with a monster energy drink at her feet! I drink water through out the day and pack my lunch to save money.

Some people are lazy and make bad decisions, and no amount of generosity will change that. They're takers!

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Absolutely not. I am not going to subsidize their lifestyle. When you donate, you create an ecological niche to compel them to this lifestyle. They have the tools to better their lives, its up to them to choose between their convictions or to truly better their lives.

Last edited:

VictorySong

Established Member
i would have bought dog food and gave it straight to the dog.

Yep!

I love the gas station scam where they ask you for $3 for a gallon of gas. I had one guy who was so into the act he actually got behind the car to push it and started eyeing me like I should help him. Lmao I told him he was a ****ing idiot and that I see him drive into the station every morning to pull the same scam when I'm on my bike exercising.

Ace5Oh

Established Member

+1.

Had a guy tell me once he's truck was broken down at the gas station it wouldn't start etc blah blah blah. Wife had twins in San Diego and he needs to get a tow back or what ever. I said sorry bro I normally don't give anyone change he jumps into his truck f250 diesel n leaves hauling ass. Next day I seem him at a different station. :loser:

tdschst

Established Member
I do not! To me, and I'm probably wrong, but I feel like it's the same as the sign at the zoo; Don't feed the animals.

I know that for some of them, that it's not their fault they are, where they are. We're all a few bad decisions away from being in the same boat, but I work too damn hard to give my hard earned money away!!!

I see the same bums around my place all of the time. This one old lady sits outside McDonalds all the time. Last time I saw her, she was packing a pack of Marlboro cigs, with a monster energy drink at her feet! I drink water through out the day and pack my lunch to save money.

Some people are lazy and make bad decisions, and no amount of generosity will change that. They're takers!

Like I said I typically don't. Actually I'm pretty sure this is only the second time in my life that I have. I pretty much have the same feelings as you, plus I bet some have jobs and do it when they are not at work for lunch money or something along those lines. And some have troubles with drugs/alcohol and I won't be a contributor to that. It was the dog that got me and it made me feel good to do something good.

That would have been the best thing to do but I don't know of anywhere around my building I can buy dog food

662HP631TQ

Established Member
About 10 years ago I took in a homeless man that was on the street with a cardboard sign. I set him up with a place to live, a job (Doing maintenance around my residence, obviously I had to teach him some things) and I tought him a whole bunch of computer technical knowledge and got him to rading technical books. About 10 years later he has several computer certifications and works a mid level help desk job. He has his own place and car and is set to get married in a couple of years. No human is any better than any other, but we all have the capacity to learn and put forth effort. I can't stand on any high horse because I have a good work ethic. I'm no better or worse than a begger. "Society" may judge that, but as a species...No better!

I'm an atheist but I will say this....
Teach a man to fish indeed....

This is my experience. Yes he could have been an axe murderer but hell life's a risk!
Do your fellow man a favor!

That's all I got!

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
About 10 years ago I took in a homeless man that was on the street with a cardboard sign. I set him up with a place to live, a job (Doing maintenance around my residence, obviously I had to teach him some things) and I tought him a whole bunch of computer technical knowledge and got him to rading technical books. About 10 years later he has several computer certifications and works a mid level help desk job. He has his own place and car and is set to get married in a couple of years. No human is any better than any other, but we all have the capacity to learn and put forth effort. I can't stand on any high horse because I have a good work ethic. I'm no better or worse than a begger. "Society" may judge that, but as a species...No better!

I'm an atheist but I will say this....
Teach a man to fish indeed....

This is my experience. Yes he could have been an axe murderer but hell life's a risk!
Do your fellow man a favor!

That's all I got!

I honestly wish I could feel this way. :rockon: You'll probably live 10yrs longer than me. lol

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Some people really needed it. There is two old guys in a near by intersection that are on wheelchairs with no legs. They are in the sun all day with just a bottle of water. Usually just hand them out a 5 dollar bill. People who have all their limbs have no excuse not too work.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Older/disabled and I might, but if you look like you're a day less than 50 there's no way in hell you're getting my money.

u n v kenny

Established Member
Along with the posted video above. I have given in a few times. Nothing drastic, but change, maybe the few dollar bills I have on me.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
When they ask me for change I ask them for a cigarette (providing they're smoking). If they offer me one I tell them I don't smoke and give them a couple bucks. I figure if they're willing to share what little they have then I can do the same for them. Oddly enough, I rarely have to give out money.

The only other times I do is when I see people digging through trash cans; I'll walk into the store nearby and grab them something to eat.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Nope. I was homeless twice. Once at 18 for 6 months, once at 21. Nobody gave me squat. Then again, I didn't ask for anything either.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i dont give cash...if its outside 711 or something I'll tell em Ill buy em a sandwhich or something but no alcohol, ive yet to be taken up on it

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Yep!

I love the gas station scam where they ask you for $3 for a gallon of gas. I had one guy who was so into the act he actually got behind the car to push it and started eyeing me like I should help him. Lmao I told him he was a ****ing idiot and that I see him drive into the station every morning to pull the same scam when I'm on my bike exercising.

Around here they take it one step further. They sit at the gas station with a gas can, and tell ya they ran out of fuel.... They have a 5-6 gallon gas can and someone will inevitable give them a gallon or two, but then the fill the rest of the can up with water and try to sell it to the next guy at a discounted price, saying, "there's $20 worth of fuel in here and I'll sell it to you for $15!":mj:

My friend owns a mechanics shop in town and said he's fixed dozens of these cars with water in the tanks.

A few weeks ago there was someone at the station begging while I was fueling up. Same old song, they said they'd run out of fuel just down the road. I told them, " If you can hop in my car and drive down the road with me and show me the car, put the keys in the ignition and start the radio, that I'd give them $100." He turned and walked away.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I've done one where this dude was on the corner of a strip mall and asked me if I had money, since he was hungry. I told him I don't carry cash (I don't). I proceeded to go buy an extra sub at the Subway me and a co-worker were eating, walked out and handed it to the beggar.

I told him: "I'm not going to give you money, because I don't know that I can trust that you're not lying to me, but in case you aren't lying, here's a sandwich." —dude looked shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread