Do you get nervous while driving your Cobra?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I did a quick search of the forum and did not find anything pertaining to this topic. So, I was wondering how most of you feel while you are out driving your Cobra? I'm looking for your answer based on the risk of damage to your Cobra caused by stupid people on the road, not how much power your car has.

Now, this question comes from my experience yesterday. I brought my coupe to work because I needed to get a state inspection after work (I normally do not drive my Cobra much, but also I do not travel during peak traffic hours. I'm normally at work by 7am and gone by 3pm).

I noticed that while I was driving to the inspection a short bus cut across three lanes of traffic in front of me to go in the opposite direction I was going. I was in the slow lane so he passed my lane quickly. However, I normally drive in the fast lane (third lane he crossed) and was wondering if I was in the fast lane would I have hit him or been able to stop in time? A lady in a BMW, in that third lane, had to practically come to a stop to avoid hitting the bus.

Also, on the way home after the inspection some guy decided he wanted to change lanes and almost hit me before he realized I was in his blind spot and while I was hitting the brakes to avoid him.

I have never been nervous about driving and enjoying my Cobra, but lately it just seems that there are so many dumb @$$es out there that I worry more about getting hit than I do enjoying the ride.

How are you guys dealing with the every day risks when it comes to driving your Cobra's (leaving them parked like I do, go out when traffic is less (i.e. Sunday), driving more or less aggressive to get away from dumb @$$es or just don't worry about it as you can't control what others do)?

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Uh, it’s all the handicap drivers that drive like they disabled. I think they believe that because they have handicap plate they can drive impaired on otc drugs to the local pub and back

MG0h3

Established Member
I live in El Paso too and a lot of drivers here are retarded. I used to have a crotch rocket so I'm used to having my head on a swivel.

If I leave it anywhere it's parked way away from any other cars and for a short period. Not my dd so I pick low traffic hours to drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black2010

Established Member
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but as much as I love my Cobra it's still just a car. Maybe I'm just getting old but I've come to realize that life is to short to worry about material possessions.

If I ever get to the point that I'm nervous driving a car then it's time to sell it as what's the point of the car then.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I live in El Paso too and a lot of drivers here are retarded.

I hear you, but I just got back from vacation in San Diego. They drive STUPID over there and traffic is insane compared to what I'm used to here LOL.

I was driving my F-150 while in San Diego. There were four lanes (2 to go left and 2 to go straight). I was in the outside turn lane. The light goes green and as traffic pulls forward I leave about 4 feet between me and the car in front of me. This stupid B!T(# tries to get her car into that space almost hitting my front fender. Needless to say I was not too happy, but she realized she would not fit and decided to get back in her lane and wait for a bigger opening to get in.

I'm guessing there are stupid and retarded drivers everywhere these days.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I am more worried about it breaking than anyone hitting me. Insurance exists for a reason.

That makes sense. These cars are older and things break all the time.

On the insurance side; that is true, but then you have to worry about paying your deductible, does the other person have insurance and can the shop fix it right or can it even be fixed?

Someone on this site had a CO vert that got rear-ended and the car was a total loss. Insurance can't fix everything.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I understand there is an inherent risk when you get on the road in any car. I"m just wondering if you guys think about that more while driving your Cobra's or not?

I do when it comes to my Cobra. When I'm in my Challenger (DD) or F-150 I don't worry about it as much as those can be replaced with another truck or a different DD.

I just kind of see my Cobra as irreplaceable at this point.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Lots of dumb people doing dumb things on the road. All you can do is drive defensively and leave distance ahead for reaction.

I am most concerned when I take the 00R out.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
No i have insurance and its just a mustang, not an enzo.

Okay, I see your point and agree. It could just be a matter of perspective. Cobra goes away then you get something else (i.e. a 2013 GT 500).

Lots of dumb people doing dumb things on the road. All you can do is drive defensively and leave distance ahead for reaction.

I am most concerned when I take the 00R out.

I hear you Goose and agree a vehicle limited to 300 units is rare indeed. I think that's when the risk goes up as everyone is looking instead of paying attention to what they are doing.

Thanks for your points of view thus far guys.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Drive it and be careful. Not saying DD it in all weather and bad traffic...but drive it and enjoy it. I'm not giving my kids cars with no miles on them when I'm gone...they will be USED cars. Very nice cars, but USED.

Most of the cars on the road are worth more $ than ours. Not to us...but to the banks and insurance companies.

Last edited:

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I don't worry about things I don't have any control of. The Neanderthals are driving on a variety of meds/stimulants and looking at their phones. Statistically, the more you drive, the more likely you will eventually end up getting popped by one of these goons. Soooo, you either enjoy the car or succumb to the fear. Have great insurance, drive carfully and enjoy the car.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I get nervous about getting my balls busted by police

Zemedici

Established Member
Nah i'm not nervous when driving it - its a mustang. I pay insurance on it, and its loud as shit. So if it gets smacked, it WILL NOT be my fault = im getting paid.

Much bigger fish to fry than a car, imo.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but as much as I love my Cobra it's still just a car. Maybe I'm just getting old but I've come to realize that life is to short to worry about material possessions.

If I ever get to the point that I'm nervous driving a car then it's time to sell it as what's the point of the car then.

I agree with you 100% and feel I should think that way too. Family and health should come before worrying about a piece of metal. However, the fact that it appears others just don't give a S#!T pisses me off. Not only could they damage my property, but they could injure me or my family.

I guess it's our priorities that need some adjusting some times.

Users who are viewing this thread