Do you ever get the urge to just pick up and move far away?

16kOrBust

Established Member
I'm 27 years old and I've lived in Connecticut all my life with the exception of four years in Boston when I was in college (summers were back in CT as it was only a two hour drive). Aside from that, the biggest "move" I've ever made was from the town I was born in to the town next door in fifth grade, and I just recently moved back to the town I was born in since I work there and finally got a place of my own.

I've got a good job. The pay is decent and allows me to live my life while enjoying myself a bit here and there. I cover basic living expenses, my bike, and a few weekend trips, plus one week-long vacation, per year. I have great benefits through work and the company is doing well (I've been here for five years since 2006 and it's grown every year even through the recession). I even have a good profit sharing plan.

While I know I'm very lucky to have all of this in this sort of economy, every few months I just get this massive urge to pack up everything I own and hit the road. I loved living in Boston a thousand times more than CT but couldn't get steady employment up there that would allow me to live when I graduated. Now every time I go back for a weekend to visit I get really depressed that another year has gone by and I'm still watching the time pass in the same old place as I get older. People say I'm young at 27, and I am, but just watching how quickly I went from 22 at graduation to 27 scares me. It feels like I haven't really done anything in that amount of time and it certainly doesn't feel like anywhere near five years has gone by. The M-F 8-5 is a great schedule but just makes the weeks and months and years pass like no other.

I've recently applied to quite a few jobs up in Boston but to no avail. And to be quite honest, there's a big part of me that wants to experience something completely new anyways. I've lived there before and as much as I love it, there are a thousand more cities I've never lived in in this country alone. The only thing ever really holding me back has been employment. It's so hard to find a steady job and on top of that, if I ever move it will be with my girlfriend because she's amazing and I absolutely want to be with her for a long time. That just makes it even more complicated, though, because if I ever find a job somewhere, the chances of her being able to find one at the same time in the same place are going to be pretty slim. And I doubt I'll find a job that can cover both of our living expenses in a city.

Anyways, sorry to vent. I just get a little down sometimes thinking about the fact that I'm stuck here and could very well end up 10-20+ years down the road having never really lived anywhere or experienced anywhere except CT. There is such a massive world out there. If I spoke another language, I'd probably skip out on the USA altogether and try something completely different (not because I don't like the United States, just because that's my idea of a real adventure). Europe fascinates and amazes the hell out of me and I'd love to live there at least once, even if just for a year or two.

Does anyone else ever feel trapped with their location like this? Have you ever had the opportunity to make a big move and taken it? How did it go? Do you regret any of it? What worked for you? Just looking for conversation on the topic. :beer:

Monster Mach

Established Member
yep.. i hate my town.. moved away had an amzing job.. now im back and cant stand it.. this place is the birthplace of dicks sporting goods and ibm.. but now your lucky to get a job at a grocery store

Defknotzero

Established Member
I know exactly what you mean. I have this urge to move to Austin. Love it there. But for right now, i am stuck in chicago.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've thought about moving, but we're pretty settled here. Especially with having kids. I made a new friend about a year ago that was from CT. He and his girlfriend got tired of the winters and just upped and moved across the country. No jobs lined up and no place to stay. But it's worked out for them. I give them credit because it's something I could never do.

16kOrBust

Established Member
yep.. i hate my town.. moved away had an amzing job.. now im back and cant stand it.. this place is the birthplace of dicks sporting goods and ibm.. but now your lucky to get a job at a grocery store

I've played a few shows out in Endicott/Binghamton and I'll be honest, I could never see myself living somewhere like that. The few people I knew from out there didn't really do anything except go out to the local bars to drink (which I suppose isn't a whole lot different than most places), but it just seemed so dead out there.

The thing I really like about cities, and particularly liked about Boston, is that there's a constant stream of new people coming in and out on a regular basis. Especially with a college town like Boston (I forget how many hundred colleges and universities there are up there), there's a very young crowd from undergrad to graduate students and recently graduated, and the faces change every year.

On top of that (and being a musician), I love the artistic side of most cities. Museums and orchestras and shows and life. I feel like I'm alive when I'm living in a city, and like everyone else is out there chasing life and trying to make the most of it. The young adult atmosphere does so much for my mood and motivation. In suburbia, I feel like everyone is in this one dimensional life where you go to work, do some chores around the house, then wait to die. The youngest people I work with are five or more years older than me and there are only a few of them. Most are in their 40's and 50's, or getting ready to retire.

My biggest fear is getting to a point where I can no longer enjoy myself in a "young" atmosphere and mindset, then looking back and regretting not having made the most of that part of my life.

Man, I'm a downer today, huh? :shrug:

I've thought about moving, but we're pretty settled here. Especially with having kids. I made a new friend about a year ago that was from CT. He and his girlfriend got tired of the winters and just upped and moved across the country. No jobs lined up and no place to stay. But it's worked out for them. I give them credit because it's something I could never do.
Kids definitely make a big difference. That's one more reason I feel like I really need to take advantage of this part of my life, because aside from a great girlfriend, I have no one to worry about except myself. Most of my family is from this area but my parents spend most of the year in Florida, my uncles have mostly moved to MA or FL, one of my brothers is going down to FL with my parents, and I just don't feel it's necessary to have to be close to anyone in particular right now.

And I really dislike the winters in the Northeast. Shoveling snow on a regular basis and having to use up sick days because it takes hours to dig ourselves out of the driveway is not my idea of a good time.

Literally the only thing holding me back from at least trying out a new area is employment.

Last edited:

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
hear ya man stuck in this shithole nyc myself. wife and I have always wanted to get the f out of here and experience somewhere better but we both have great paying jobs, in construction and commercial real estate. which in most other states South etc where we would want to go we wouldnt be able to find the same opportunity as here. sucks

CobraKid04

Established Member
I just graduated College and have worked at the same place the past 4 years. It's a great job starting out with great benefits, but like you I want something completely different.

I told myself that if I don't have a good career by age 35 I'm ganna sell everything and move to the beach. Buy a condo on the beach with a moped and run a suntan lotion stand or something like it. no worries or cares.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
want some cheese to go with that whine? jesus I would have killed to have that kind of life when I was your age and if that is all you have to worry about you should just STFU. in today's economy you have no problems that a swift kick in the ass by someone without a job wouldn't fix.

Now that being said .. yes I have. got tired of D.C. spent a year looking at where I wanted to go another 6 months or so lining up a job, packed up my shit and moved to Texas. not a single second of regret since and it has been almost 13 years.

a piece of advice however, if you want to do what you are talking about, make damn sure you have a job IN HAND before you move. Not doing that in today's economy will land you in a world of hurt. and moving to Boston is not "dropping everything and moving someplace different" you just as well move across the street as to move to Bahston.

ever give any thought to actually making a contribution to where you are by way of volunteer work? getting involved in something other than your own life? might make things a little more bearable.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I have had the same urge for years. I have toyed with the idea of moving to Phoenix or Texas. Biggest issue is securing employment beforehand. I tend to take calculated risk.

I recently took a new job, and moving to the other end of the state (160 miles away) this weekend. Completely different area, sights, people,etc. Playing it by ear after that, good thing is I now have the option of transferring down to Az, or Tx if I'm still not happy. Got lucky, and got on with a great company.

16kOrBust

Established Member
want some cheese to go with that whine? jesus I would have killed to have that kind of life when I was your age and if that is all you have to worry about you should just STFU. in today's economy you have no problems that a swift kick in the ass by someone without a job wouldn't fix.

Now that being said .. yes I have. got tired of D.C. spent a year looking at where I wanted to go another 6 months or so lining up a job, packed up my shit and moved to Texas. not a single second of regret since and it has been almost 13 years.

a piece of advice however, if you want to do what you are talking about, make damn sure you have a job IN HAND before you move. Not doing that in today's economy will land you in a world of hurt. and moving to Boston is not "dropping everything and moving someplace different" you just as well move across the street as to move to Bahston.

ever give any thought to actually making a contribution to where you are by way of volunteer work? getting involved in something other than your own life? might make things a little more bearable.

Wow, I specifically state that I'm well aware of how good my situation is and that I'm just opening this thread up for conversation on the topic to see what other people's experiences have been like since I consider moving on a regular basis and you come in and be a total douche, as usual. Thanks for your contribution. :kaboom:

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Wow, I specifically state that I'm well aware of how good my situation is and that I'm just opening this thread up for conversation on the topic to see what other people's experiences have been like since I consider moving on a regular basis and you come in and be a total douche, as usual. Thanks for your contribution. :kaboom:

this is not smackdown dude. I called you no names, I simply laid out my opinion about your post. Obviously you failed to read past the first paragraph, why am I not surprised.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have not gotten the chance. The Military has had the urge plenty to pick me up and move me every 3-5 years for the last 18 years...lol

Grimster

Established Member
I went to school at Texas State in San Marcos, just south of Austin. Essentially went to school and worked there for a total of 8 years. Just moved to Northern Oklahoma for a new job. BIG change in scenery. Im planning on being here for a few more years, then I want to move to Boulder, Colorado. :)

Gotta mix it up to keep things fun. I do think I will end up being in Colorado for a long time once I get there though since I absolutely love the mountains there. :)

16kOrBust

Established Member
this is not smackdown dude. I called you no names, I simply laid out my opinion about your post. Obviously you failed to read past the first paragraph, why am I not surprised.

I read the full post and took to heart some of the advice you gave in the latter half of it. It doesn't change the fact that you came across as an ass, which is how you usually come across even out of SD. When someone's looking for conversation on a topic that's not in SD and you want to participate, there's a normal, polite way to enter the conversation even in relation to stating the points you wanted to make (the way every single other person in this thread chose to do), and there's a way that makes you look like a giant douche and bitter old man. You obviously chose the latter, as usual.

And I'm well aware that this is not in SD; I posted it. Obviously you failed to read my name next to the original post, why am I not surprised.

Last edited:

16kOrBust

Established Member
I went to school at Texas State in San Marcos, just south of Austin. Essentially went to school and worked there for a total of 8 years. Just moved to Northern Oklahoma for a new job. BIG change in scenery. Im planning on being here for a few more years, then I want to move to Boulder, Colorado. :)

Gotta mix it up to keep things fun. I do think I will end up being in Colorado for a long time once I get there though since I absolutely love the mountains there. :)

That sounds like a great plan. Glad things are working out for you. What do you do for work? Some fields obviously lend themselves well to being able to move around quite a bit, something I'm taking into consideration as I think about grad school in the near future. :beer:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
your cheese should be delivered in a couple of hours

clean93

Established Member
Only thing keeping me in Maryland is my job as a tech with the county. I was supposed to move to Florida back in 2006 thats where most of my fam stays and Jamaica. But i got 3 job offers back then and stuck it out here. But I understand Im 28 years old and sometimes i want to sell everything and head down to West Palm Beach with my folks who also work for the county there

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Yep! Grew up in NJ and lived in PA for a bit. At 28 packed it up to work with a buddy in WA State. Happy I did it and met my wife there. Work situation did not work out and realized I missed the Atlantic and the shore. Found work in the DC area and returned but still miss Jersey. Yep, I said it.

Users who are viewing this thread