Do you drive your "R" Model, if not, why"

Do your drive your Cobra "R", if not, why?

• I drive it every chance I get, but only on nice sunny days.

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • I prefer to show my "R" as the limited edition automobile it is

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have mine socked away as an investment.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I race mine balls out whenever I can

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
The course of several threads seems to have gone astray, as such, I propose a new thread entitled "do you drive your "R" model, if not, why?" it really is a simple question that nobody has sat down and answered coherently to date. So whether you drive your "R", show it, race it, or have it locked up in your own private showroom, let's hear some of the reasons you made your own personal choices with your "R" model(s).

I'll start off, I picked up my last "R" (1995 #99)for two reasons, the first being that when it was brand new and delivered to the local (at that time) Ford dealer a call was placed and I was offered the car first. Not because I had put a deposit down on it, but because the owner and managers knew that I loved to road race. At that time unfortunately for me, I had to pass as I needed a car with a back seat for my then young son, so instead I purchased the first of several 1995 Cobra "two top" convertibles to pass through my garage space(s) and bid adieu to #99 for what I had assumed would be forever Fast forward to 12:53pm on Friday of Labor Day weekend 2003 when a certain "R" model (yes, that very same one) auction on Ebay was ending. As most people where traveling to their holiday destinations, I waited until less than a minute was left to go and put in the maximum that I could afford at that time, less than 45 seconds later I learned I had won the auction and #99 had come full circle in my life. Since the car was sold by Coccia Ford back in 1995 it had lead a life of race shops and track time, only to be traded in on a full size Ford tractor to pull the owners new race trailer, the dealer being located in PA decided that he wanted to upgrade to a 2000 "R" but needed to sell this car first. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. While in my posession, I enjoyed having it at Lime Rock park and at Pocno Raceway, I only wish I held on to it long enough to take it to Watkins Glen. Sadly, as most of you know, several months later with some family health issues at hand I was forced to sell the car to it's next owner who flew in and then drove it home to Ill. Last I had heard (I saw a few pictures posted to this forum and then removed per the shop owners request a few weeks ago) it was sitting in a body shop in Ill. awaiting repairs to the nose and passenger side sheetmetal after the new owner slammed a tire barrier at a reported 140mph. All attempt to reach the owner or find out the whereabouts of the shop have gone unanswered, my hopes of repurchasing my personal dream car back and restoring it to it's former glory has hit the rocks, so my hunt for another track prepped, private owner 93 or 95 "R" has begun.

That's it for my story, how about yours.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I just recently aquired my '95 R. I first came across it about 2 years ago. I saw it on Ebay and thought the price was really low. I did not bid on it because I figured at last minute it would shoot through the roof. It didn't and I could've kicked myself.

I emailed the seller that if the deal fell through to call. This car was 20 minutes from where I lived. Two weeks later he called. I went out to look at it and signed a contract on the spot. However, the seller got cold feet and a few days later backed out, I was pissed. Apparently he did this before.

A year later I see it on the boards for sale again. I was a few weeks to late. He sold it to a guy in NC, Michael. Once again the car had escaped me.

Fast forward to 12/06 and one day, there it is on Ebay. I immediately call Michael. After a couple days of talking I agree on a price and send a check. It still took me about 3 weeks before I actually got the car. It now rests in my garage, nearly 2 years after first seeing it.

The only bad thing is that my first deal included all of the original parts. Michael said that he never got them so now I will keep my eyes out for those. So if anyone knows of some for sale PM me. I need exhaust, intake components and a few suspension items

My plans are to drive it on nice days, some occassional track time, and pampering in the garage. It will probable see about 1-2K miles per year.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
25,500 +/- miles on my 2000 R. I've driven it from central Mass. to Detroit/Gingerman raceway four times, Fords at Carlise Pa. twice, the 40th anniversary show in Nashville in 2004, Watkins Glen twice, and last summer to Sanair Dragway - Montreal for the Montreal Mustang Club's annual car show..

It's a toy, not an investment to me...

Sounds like this thread is going to go in this direction:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75315

Last edited:

sdfrog177

Established Member
Purchased my 2000 R in Dec 02. It was a wrapper at the time with only 9 miles on it, all stickers, plastic, grease pencil markings, etc.... still on the car. I paid about 25k LESS for it than the original owner paid for it new to include the insane dealer added mark up. I guess guys thought these things were going to rapidly increase in value back in 2000?????? Maybe in 30 or 40 years they might be worth something who knows. (I plan on getting a new Shelby same way as the R after all the hype ends, and it will end).......The look was priceless on the guys face after I handed him the cash. He thought I was having the R trailered to my house. I drove it home that night (about 400 miles). It sat in my garage with all the stickers, bubble wrapped splitter, grease pencil markings in tact for about 1 week. I have since put about 13.5k on the car. Havent got into track racing.....YET. I have to settle getting my speed fix at work falling out of airplanes. I plan to get the car up to willow springs sometime in the near future. My biggest fear every time I take my R out for a drive is some soccer mom on her cell phone rear ending me while sitting at a red light (its almost happened). Im sure the car would probably be safer on the track then driving So Cal public roads. Anyways life is to short to not drive what you have in the garage......unless you are saving it for someone else after your gone.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well, let me put it to you this way. I used to be a "Robert". I loved cars and actually worked at a Ford dealer as a Service Tech long before I got smart and decided wrenching on cars was NOT going to cut it!? :idea:

I bought an NOS Hi-Po 289 short block (from the parts department) for $160.00 in 1971 when Ford sold out all of their old stock. I looked for a nice vert (believe it or not?) and could not find one that was in suitable condition for me so I settled on a nice 30,000 mile Coupe in 1987. This is where the engine found it's home:

stang2gt2.jpg

Then I ran across a 2000 "R" by complete and total accident. I had NO clue what an "R" was at the time actually?!?! Before I bought it, I met up with a bunch of track ho's and they gave me rides at MAM. (you know who you are?!?!) :poke: I was like "Damn, this looks like some fun?!" So the rest is history! They turned me into a track Ho! So now my '66 is still the show car of the family, the "R" and the Shelby are the (as Roger would call them) Track Turds! :lol:

I can see both sides of the fence because I have been there. One thing I can tell you is that Robert is going to have the last laugh 20 years from now when wrapper 2000 "R's" are going for $300k or more at the BJ auction! :-D But I could care less because you cannot put a price on the fun I have had in my 2000 "R". :read: Besides, I don't have any kids. So it's a moot point!

As long as I can pass the fastest production Corvette with an average driver, I could care less?! ;-) :p :pepper: :beer:

PS Almost forgot. Picture of well seasoned track Ho (affectionately named Gwen) at Gingerman this past September!

This IS the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!! Guaranteed!!!

closeup2smlm7.jpg

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
... Robert is going to have the last laugh 20 years from now when wrapper 2000 "R's" are going for $300k or more at the BJ auction! :-D But I could care less because you cannot put a price on the fun I have had in my 2000 "R". :read:

The guys that sell their wrapper cars for the big bucks owe their profits to those of you who drive. If there were still 300 wrapper '00 Rs out there 20 years from now, they'd still be less than sticker. How many now valuable baseball cards did I run through my bicycle spokes as a kid...???

ac427cobra said:
This IS the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!! Guaranteed!!!

You drive with your clothes on?? :lol:

car-door.jpg

--Mike

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I don't see an option for driving your R more than just on nice days. I drove mine several days a week after getting it. Trying to get used it, learn about it. After a good 6 weeks of that, I swapped positions in the garage with my Boss 302 which had gone stagnent from lack of attention.

Now the R will get to the race track at least once a month and driven to the odd show while the Boss is the pleasure craft. After '07 I suspect the R will be driven often. It gets better mileage than either my F250 or my Boss.

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
I drove it to and from work on sunny days and did two local shows. 2800 miles total last year. I do not understand all the beef with "if you have a R model and don't race it"? At the end of the day, it's your ride, beat it on the track, polish it in your garage, or a combo, whatever. It's your's to do as you see fit. As many have said before, there are alot better investments than the four wheeled kind.:coolman:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
The way I feel about it, whatever the owner wants to do with their car, they can....

I feel leaving it sit up on blocks is a waste of good fun, but whatever....they may have the last laugh in 10 or 20 years, when they get top dollar for it, who knows....

I bought my 2000R to use and enjoy....I bought it for what was a great price at the time, added a cage for safety, diff cooler out of neccessity, and a few minor mods, and enjoy running the crap out of it on track....I won't cut the car up, but plan on doing some suspension upgrades, which include the T2R and my delrin IRS bushings, finally :rolleyes: :lol:

I have all of the original stuff, and anything I have added could be removed some day if someone wanted to do so, like after I'm dead and buried :lol:

I have 8K miles on it, and most of them are track miles....I have taken it to cruises and shows, and it gets alot of attention, especially with the race numbers and tire rubber marks on it! :rockon:

you cant put a value on the enjoyment I've had with the car and other track ho's doing this:

3rs.jpg

Last edited:

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
Don't need no wrapper

Not when you can track this beauty.
normal_IMG_0879.JPG

I don't know who own this pristine tracker but he can hang out with Club Cranky anytime.:rockon: :rockon: :lol: :lol:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Hahaha! Good post Bill and I'm glad to see a driving related thread instead of pure automechanics. Regarding your question, this may be the easiest thing I have to answer all year!:pepper:

FWIW I think you should have made a better distinction about "racing" and added another choice. I see several race responses that I suspect are predominantly (or entirely) HPDE/OT. There is a huge difference and I would be curious to see how many routinely race their R vs. the latter.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I bought the Zippo car as a full-blown race car. It was driven from Masco Tech where final assembly was done to the TF Racing shop in PA where it was stripped and turned into a race car. It has over 30,XXX miles on it all of which are racing. They ran the snot out of it and somehow it actually survived.

I was O/Ting my 95 conv/ht with a griggs suspension and a 4 pt rollbar. I was getting uncomfortable with the idea of no cage and no roof once I started going to courses with 100+ mph speeds. I decided to sell my 69 Mach I CJ to buy a 95R.

I sold it and started looking for a street 95R. I was going to put a cage in it and suspension mods. Then track it and drive it on the street. Just for kicks, I decided to see if I could find any real 95R racers. Well, I stumbled onto the Zippo car. Thanks to an understanding wife and great timing the car is in my garage.

Do I race it--no. I don't have the desire or funds to go wheel-to-wheel. However, I do enjoy O/Ting it any chance I get. Unfortunately, street use it not in this cars future.

I have come close to selling the 95 conv/ht a couple of times and using those funds for a driver 95R. However, I am having a hard time letting go of my original owner 2 top and finding another 95R at the right price.

Tom

93 COBRA

Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
You've taken it off and on the trailer that many times Steve?:poke:

Sure is amazing how quick they rack up.:rollseyes

I guess I do deserve that. Where I live now the roads are allot nicer so I do plan on driving it more.

2 TOXIC

Established Member
Although I like going fast I don't race. I've been into showing cars for a long time. I bought my 95R because of the limited production and thought it would make a good show car. Not a whole lot of them around and it would get a lot of attention. I bought a car that had been raced and then stored for several years. Figuring it would require some work to be show worthy but I needed a project.
Most of you were calling it the Rosie's Diner Car and everyone seemed to have an opinion on the car. I took in all of the input and decided I would detail it and show it as it was. I took it to shows and it just wasn't received very well. It didn't appeal to show fans with all those stickers on it. Part of showing a car is getting attention and it wasn't. I was pretty dissapointed with it and decided to make some changes. I pulled off all those stickers with the intent of showing it as original. The paint had faded yellow and you could see the outlines of every sticker and some had bled and faded into the paint.
I was able to wet sand and buff the sides out but the top panels were too far gone. That was when I decided to go with the current paint scheme. I added the roll bar, moved the battery to the rear, put on some new tires and detailed the crud out of it and then went to car shows. A first and a second place in Richmond and best of class at Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach this summer. That was what I bought it for.
I've had it a year and driven it maybe a 1000 miles. Most of that from Richmond to Myrtle Beach. Right now I drive it maybe once a month. It's a great car but I don't get the enjoyment out of it that most others seem to. I've actually decided to sell it. Maybe someone who wants to race it again will enjoy it more.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I wanted a 95R from the first day I read about them. I tried to buy one off the showroom floor (and was going to take it straight to a welder for a full cage), but someone outbid me. I later found my car in Buffalo, NY from a former poster on this site.

I drive it on nice days. It's racked up a bunch of miles in the north Georgia mountains. I don't race it since it doesn't have any safety equipment.

95R.jpg

Alas, I do have its girlfriend which does have a rollbar and a logbook (a race car since 1995).
94Cob.jpg

Rio red with matching belts and rollbar padding (and a few tech stickers):
94rb.jpg

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I had always wanted a 93R but couldn't find one in my price range. I was collecting parts to build up a track car out of a theft recovery 93 Cobra I had purchased when a friend sent me an email with this Cobra R for sale. Originally I thought the car was Cobra R #83 because the description was very similar so I passed (Steve - I still regret not purchasing that car!) because it was just a roller. A week passed and this person sent me another email asking if I had looked at the car and I explained that I didn't because if I was going to buy a car it would have to be ready to go. He said it was and to look at the pictures. When I did I realized the car was almost exactly what I was building. After a 2 hour phone conversation with the owner I bought the car. Open tracked it for a year and then American Iron racing with it for 2 years. It's now retired and just open tracked. It's main function is to pass 00R's on the track!:p

I also purchased two 95R's back in 95-96 but flipped them almost immediately for a nice profit. I picked up a 95R project car a few months ago and am collecting parts for a full resto back to track status.

Showing R Models is fine but I get more enjoyment from driving them the way they were intended. The number of people at the track that have told me they have never seen a 93R is amazing. Giving someone a ride in the car (although it's far from stock) makes them realize what these cars were really for.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
93SVTCobra said:
It's now retired and just open tracked. It's main function is to pass 00R's on the track!:p

Well, if they wouldn't have placed you in the "older and slower 'R' group" at the Shelby Northwoods event last year, you would have had an opportunity to pass me!? :-D

Oh wait, I just remembered!?! :read: :idea:

;-) :poke: :p

Users who are viewing this thread