Do we have a lack of freedom?

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
what's your opinion of the freedoms that we Americans have? Do you think that we still enjoy the most freedoms out of any nation on earth? And if you think that we have a lack of it, then what do you think has caused it?

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Originally posted by Euphoric One
Americans have too much freedom.

Hmmm, now that's a very intersting veiwpoint. One that I don't believe that I've ever heard before. Thanks for sharing. Feel free to elaborate on that if you care to. In the meantime, is there anyone else?

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Originally posted by VOD
California has a lack of freedom

In what ways? Can you explain? Are you refering to restrictive gun laws, emissions laws, or something other?

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Here's what I think.....with freedom comes responsibility, just as it does with rights. When people excercise their rights or their freedoms w/out being responsible and w/out regard to others around them, then doing so very often results in more restrictive laws, and as a result a loss of freedoms.

I think that if we focused on responsibility while we excercise our freedoms as we do on the freedoms themselves as well as on our rights, then that would go a long way to us keeping our freedoms atleast to a certain degree.

However there are ofcourse other factors in play here. I also happen to think that the bigger any government gets, the more it infringes on the freedoms of it's citizens. And that's one of the biggest problems of our goverment. It's just too big and it's getting bigger all the time. I wish that the number of politicians and the people who work for them can be cut in half.

Now as far as there being too many freedoms, the only area where I would agree w/that is in the freedoms of people coming across our borders who aren't US citizens. our borders are just too porous and that's pretty scary if you ask me. And it seems that neither the Republicans nor the Democrat politicians are doing nearly enough about that. It's simply out of control and it has been for some time.

Last edited:

ridethelighteni

foolish samurai warrior
Established Member
Originally posted by BillyGman
Here's what I think.....with freedom comes responsibility, just as it does with rights. When people excercise their rights or their freedoms w/out being responsible and w/out regard to others around them, then doing so very often results in more restrictive laws, and as a result a loss of freedoms.

I think that if we focused on responsibility while we excercise our freedoms as we do on the freedoms themselves as well as on our rights, then that would go a long way to us keeping our freedoms atleast to a certain degree.

However there are ofcourse other factors in play here. I also happen to think that the bigger any government gets, the more it infringes on the freedoms of it's citizens. And that's one of the biggest problems of our goverment. It's just too big and it's getting bigger all the time. I wish that the number of politicians and the people who work for them can be cut in half.

Now as far as there being too many freedoms, the only area where I would agree w/that is in the freedoms of people coming across our borders who aren't US citizens. our borders are just too porous and that's pretty scary if you ask me. And it seems that neither the Republicans nor the Democrat politicians are doing nearly enough about that. It's simply out of control and it has been for some time.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. There is no doubt that freedom has changed dramatically over the years. In some regards we have gotten more freedom (ever seen some of those old rarely enforced laws that are still on the books - some are completely rediculous), not to mention womens and minorities rights which were non-existant not too long ago. However, in general I see our rights as a people free from Government oppression going south quickly. I blame this on crime, terrorism, corrupt politicians, and Government radicals who desperately want to control every aspect of our lives. I would love to see smaller government, and more responsibility on us the citizens to take care of ourselves.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
yep, I hear ya.....check this out...I recently learned that in some states such as new York, it's actually illegal for the local law enforcement to report an alien to the imigration office if they fimd he's commited a crime over here, and he's also wanted in Mexico for murder or other major offences.

I'm appauled to hear of this!! Certain politicians and officials have forbidden police departments from reporting aliens from mexico who are wanted ove there for major crimes simply because they are aware of the fact there there are registered voters here who are minorites and who also habve relatives that are here in this country illegally, and they don't want to lose the minority vote. these politicians are selling out their own country to get votes in the future in hopes to stay in office!!!

If the personel in the police departments are caught reporting illegal aliens who are wanted for major crimes in Mexico to the INS, they can be fired.

Users who are viewing this thread