Do u have to drop the irs to reseal cover?

92 Couper

Established Member
I did not drop the IRS, but I did pull out the diff and did the cleaning sealing on a bench. Could be done without pulling it, but it would not have been as clean.

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
Guys any advice on getting the differential cover back on? I was able do drop it and wiggle it out top somehow, but I cannot find a way to get it back on without scraping it and probably destroying a bead of RTV.. I cant get enough room to get it around the gears.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Guys any advice on getting the differential cover back on? I was able do drop it and wiggle it out top somehow, but I cannot find a way to get it back on without scraping it and probably destroying a bead of RTV.. I cant get enough room to get it around the gears.

You have to take off the driveshaft along with the front diff mounts and shove the gear case as far forward as you can. That should give you enough room.

Make sure you mark your D/S and pinion flange orientation and reinstall it the same way it came apart.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
no you don't the Harbor Freight tranny jack helps alot to get the diff in and out of the car

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
its def very tight, but if you remove up all diff bolts and shove it,there is just enough. a second set of hands is a big help

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
The half shafts will allow the pumpkin to slide forward even while they are still in? I thought they would not allow movement due to the spindle/brakes holding them where they are?

Users who are viewing this thread