Do these dyno numbers sound realistic?

Av3ng3d

Established Member
I put my car on a Mustang Dyno some time ago. It made 249whp/251wtq.

My mods are..
BBK throttle body
BBK CAI
BBK Under drive pully
Aluminum driveshaft
Mac offroad h-pipe and catback
Adjustable clutch cable
Ram II clutch
BBK weld in sub frame connectors
Eaton Posi
Superior Axles
3.73 gears

These mods were all done by the last owner and I was also told it "had a tune", but he also listed 24lb injectors in the craigslist ad as a "mod".

These numbers seem kind of low in comparison to others results with similar mods, so I'm really skeptical he ever put any sort of tune on the car.

I'm considering just buying an SCT X3. Shouldn't the car make more than what it made on a Mustang dyno with a tune? I know it's something I should invest in regardless, but I'd hate to bother spending the 400 bucks right now, and then the car doesn't make any more power than what it made last time.

Last edited:

Av3ng3d

Established Member
Yep corrected.
253whp/257wtq uncorrected. Peak power is at right around 5800. Power starts to fall off after that.

Last edited:

Av3ng3d

Established Member
The link should work, trying to do this from my phone using the tags is proving to be difficult lol

[url]http://flickr.com/photos/48971436@N05/9189665146/[/url]

Last edited:

98fourvalve

Established Member
mustang dynos are notorious for reading low compared to dynojets unless they are set up properly.

crazycarlo

Established Member
For a mustang dyno thats about right. Also keep in mind the only power mods you have are the exhaust and the intake. The TB does nothing for a stock car power wise esp without knowing if there is a tune in the car.

Blown96cbra

Established Member

Deff have had experience with several different Dyno jets and my car always puts down about 20% more on them than a true loaded Dyno..
Over the years I have learned a lot about the in ground loaded mustang dyno
I live right near where they are built and have a friend that works there and is a installer...
Also drivability is much better I a car that's tuned with the mustang Dyno due to it being under load when being tuned mimicking the effect of it driving on the road

Av3ng3d

Established Member
For a mustang dyno thats about right. Also keep in mind the only power mods you have are the exhaust and the intake. The TB does nothing for a stock car power wise esp without knowing if there is a tune in the car.

I've read quite a wide range of results on mustang dynos with identical mods. Anywhere from 240-300whp. I seem to be on the lower end of that range. It just makes me wonder if he slapped on the tb,cai,exhaust without actually putting a tune in the car as he claimed.

Av3ng3d

Established Member
For what it's worth (Im sure probably nothing) the car has a BBk under drive pully also, I forgot to include that.

Last edited:

Blown96cbra

Established Member
It sounds to me u are right around where u should be for the holy on parts it had in it..
Depending on temperate and humidity the day it was run will also come into play...
I think if u are worried about it u should have the car tuned yourself..
It will at least give u a peace of kind knowing it is done..

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
he's right within the accepted variance of 12% difference of a mustang dyno and a dyno jet. actually- he made exactly what you'd make on a mustang dyno with your 281rwhp from a dynojet.

To me that's hella accurate lol.

Users who are viewing this thread