Do Not Buy Oakley's !!!They will not stand behind their product!

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
I can't belive the response that I just got back from Oakley concerning an issue I am having with my x-metals. Not only was the response to my email poorly written, it just proves how little they actually stand behind their product due to the fact that they depend on people having to get their glasses fixed and paying for them.

Below is the response with my original email under it.

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your e-mail

I apologize for the inconvenience but unfortunately there is nothing I can do to change anything. I understand the pealing of the iridium coating is not your fault but we are only able to warranty our glasses for one year. This may not be the longest warranty out of all the other companies but it is one of the reasons why Oakley is so successful, You must understand that if we just replaced every ones glasses at no charge Oakley would make any money and eventually go out of business. So there is the solution of the low cost replacement such as the $49 evaluation fee on your glasses.

It is your choice to no longer purchase Oakley, I’m sorry to hear that you have switched to another company but also the Costa Del Mar lenses are not as clear or contrast assisted as Oakley lenses.

Once again I apologize for the inconvenience and hope one day you will purchase Oakley products again.

Sincerely,

Chris H.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 1:49 PM
To: info
Subject: Very disappointed

Dear Oakley,

I have been a loyal since customer for over ten years now. Today is the first time that I have felt like I needed to consider other manufacturers for a pair of sunglasses. I have owned five different pairs of Oakley’s and over the years I have found that the service and support was unmatched. On several occasions I had a malfunction with my Oakley Zero’s and my A-Wires and just sent them in with a brief description as what the issue was. My glasses were always returned to me within the next week, and on two occasions a whole new pair was sent to me free of charge. I have never had to pay for repairs on my glasses even when over 1 year old, nor have I ever questioned buying another pair due to this fact.

Today has changed my mind.

After speaking with a polite representative named Manny about my current glasses, polarized Juliet’s, I was informed that it would cost me $49.00 to replace the lenses. Despite keeping covetous care over my Juliet’s the polarized coating, on my most expensive pair of Oakley’s yet, is literally flaking off from the inside. I have kept the glasses in a clean and new Oakley bag and a vault for their entire life so abuse has never been an issue. My X-Metal Juliet’s with blue ice polarized lenses were purchased in December of 2004 as a Christmas gift and have been my most favorite pair of glasses, but when I purchases said glasses it was with the understanding that what I was paying for was not just the material it was the name that backed the glasses and quality of which was associated with that name. I informed Manny that I was astounded at what I was hearing. The reason being that I was now being told that my glasses were not a warranty item and that if the lenses were to be fixed it would be on me to pay for them even though the damage that was present was an apparent flaw in the product. The polarization flaking off has now gotten to a point that I can no longer wear my glasses as the lenses distort what you are viewing. Seeing this as an issue I wanted to again turn to Oakley for assistance as they have always come through in the past and fixed my glasses with no questions asked. It was this well executed policy that kept me buying Oakley products however with its’ departure from the company I shall to have to regretfully excuse my business as well.

I plan on purchasing a pair of Costa Del Mar’s to replace my beloved Juliet X-metals, it is not in the least what I would like to do but I refuse to pay to fix an issue on my sunglasses that was not caused by me, the wearer. Costa has already informed me that they have a lifetime warranty to back any defect in their lenses and this is why I must take up this offer.

Kind but disappointed regards,

Michael Whitten

Former customer

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Whitten said:
With an Oakley's cleaning kit.
They have a kit? I guess I won't use that thing. I figured you may have used a hard cleaning solvent of some sort. Just the bag and water for me and so far no problems with glasses that are very old and a could new ones.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
I think the "kind but dissapointed regards" was a nice touch. Mind if I use it when necessary? Sorry to hear about your customer service issue...but at least they told you why.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Oakleys are shit. My set scratched and peeled from the day I got them. They're now my beater pair on hikes and backpacking trips so I can throw them in the bag and not worry about them. Picked up some Smith's with glass lenses and they've been much better.

Vizior

Established Member
I just came in from work, and essentially the sun, so I may have read it wrong. But are you angry at the Oakley Company because they won't pay to fix a pair of sunglasses that aren't under warranty?

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make too much sense to me...

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
I've heard bad things about Oakley, but I've always had good experiences with them. I treat my 2 pairs of oakleys as exactly what they are: an overpriced pair of sunglasses. I treat them like gold :)

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
SVT F15O said:
I just don't understand the need to spend that kind of money on sunglasses. :shrug:
Having spalling a demolition debris bounce off my glasses at the ranges just proves my eye sight is worth it.

Steeltwo

Established Member
that was a bad reply by oakley in general. I can understand their stance, as a car manuf is the same way. But just how crappy that reply was...

Maui Jim sunglasses that I purchased from the Lahina open air mall in Hawaii.
by far the best sun glasses i've ever had. They were 200 bones. I tried on probly 5-6 pairs of glasses ranging in price from 120-485. The best were the maui's, and not by a close amount. The armani ones for 485 felt as cheap as the $15 sunglasses I have for going tubing down the river. And they filtered even less then those piles of crap.

also if the lenses scratch EVER, I can mail the pair to their plant and they will replace them for free. woot!

Last edited:

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
I've never spent the extra cash for Oakleys, Ray Bans, or Arnettes. I've always been happy with the $15 pair I get at the booths at the races...

Vizior

Established Member
I buy polarized from Wal-mart, but only because I'm a lifeguard. They're nice for driving, but nothing beats polarized when youre trying to see if the stupid kid is hanging out underwater or really hit his head on the diving board.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Damn Michael, sorry to hear you got screwed.

Don't worry, I've had my Costa's for a touch over four years now. They've survived pool and ocean water with no issues and are quite tought. (I've got the Havana's).

That was a shoddy response from the company too. I think I'd call again and ask for a manager.

Users who are viewing this thread