Do MAF's go bad?

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Now that summer has rolled around and I have some extra money I can finally get rid of the C&L MAF that has been throwing the lean code for the last few thousand miles. I found one a used one on the corral that I can get for a decent price, but its off a 100,000 mile car. The owner says it was working flawlessly when he took it off, but I am just wondering if MAF's are a part that can go bad. I can't really think of anything bad that could happen to it other than it getting dirty over time. Should I stay away from it because of the mileage, or go for it?

Paul

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Nothing lasts forever but I wouldn't be worried about a 100k mile maf. The only thing you would have to worry about would be the wires. Just take the black box off the C&L and transfer it to the stock maf, that's what I did.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
badass98svt said:
the 100k unit should be just fine. how much for your C&L?

I'll give it to you for 30 bucks plus shipping. From info recieved from previous owner its been on the car about 15k. Worked great with the stock intake tubing, just not with the JLT.

Paul

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
grandestang said:
I'll give it to you for 30 bucks plus shipping. From info recieved from previous owner its been on the car about 15k. Worked great with the stock intake tubing, just not with the JLT.

Paul

thats it!!!!! they retail over 200 ya know :poke:

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
thats it!!!!! they retail over 200 ya know :poke:

I didn't pay anything for it :D Anyway I want it off of my hands (not that theres anything wrong with it), plus you have to figure in the SVTP discount. :beer:

I could sell it on ebay for more but between not wanting to deal with that and wanting it off my hands I'll let it go for super cheap.

Also, kinda got sidetracked on this thread, thanks to everyone for their help I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the 100k stock MAF.

Paul

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Nothing lasts forever but I wouldn't be worried about a 100k mile maf. The only thing you would have to worry about would be the wires. Just take the black box off the C&L and transfer it to the stock maf, that's what I did.

Hmm, this doesn't change any of the MAF's calibrations huh? Sounds like that would be a good idea to ensure the wires are fresh.

Paul

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The C&L uses the stock electronics. Look on the top of the black box, it says Ford (at least mine did). The design of the sampling tubes is what gives the different reading.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
The only "damage" I think you can do to it is run a K&N with too much oil. I had to take mine out and clean the wires with contact cleaner when I bought the car, as the previous owner's K&N was more like an oil bath for the entire intake.

Other than that, they are usually sturdy pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread