Do L's have oil problems?

fruhdaddy

Established Member
Just bought mine a while ago and did an oil change to it and noticed it had some old caked oil on the k member and body. no leaks coming from oil pan or filter or timing cover. Then popped off intlet tube and noticed some oil on the throttle body blades. Not sure if old owner had problems and fixed it but never cleaned it off. No oil pressure drop or any engine issues. Just curious if anybody has ran into this with theres. Mine is an 01 with 87K with just a muffler and filter other than that its stock.

lvgolfer962

Established Member
they all suck oil from the pcv valve on the passenger side head. look into/search for an oil separator/catch can to take care of it. ive seen some threads about a tsb that dealt with leaky valve cover gaskets somewhere

fruhdaddy

Established Member
now that you say it, it looks and feels like grease. i need to get a oil sep to help control the oil in the intake and TB. is there a brand that is by far the best for the L that isnt a total knockoff? thanks for the input

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
+1 on the L&S seperator, they work great but the hoses they come with kind of suck. John is a great guy to deal with though. I has a minor issue with my first one so he just replaced it without any hassle and it has been working great since. I did run diferent hiose than came with the kit though.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
Any oil separator is honestly better than none. I bought my truck from the original owner and he had already installed one of the "cheap" ones that people like to hate on lately. We just tore the motor down a few weeks ago, and I am happy to report that my throttle body and intercooler were both clean as a whistle! I mean absolutely spotless. My engine had 80,000 miles on it btw.

Now the cheap ones aren't maintenance free, meaning you have to empty the resevoir every once in a whole. The L&S is maintenance free, as it automatically drains the oil down into the valve cover. But honestly I prefer to empty it myself so I can personally monitor how much oil is getting caught.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread