Do long tubes eliminate the infamous popping/gargle???

GodStang

Established Member
Kooks LTs and mid pipe and a few different catbacks over the years and no pop once a good tuner was found.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Here ya go brother

sorry it took so long

[YOUTUBE_BROWSER]qU-r7hDJf9g[/YOUTUBE_BROWSER]​
so I bought some stingers awhile ago to pair with my Kooks LT and x pipe.... Was considering leaving my current set up on and just selling the stingers.... Not anymore..

Last edited:

Ralo

Established Member
I think the catback may have more influence than the headers. I have an O/R X and mine sounded a lot nastier on decel with LM1 vs Magnaflow. The LM1 sounder great wide open but they were just too nasty any otehr time plus they drew a lot of attention.

[video=youtube;_7i8lVfs2ZU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7i8lVfs2ZU[/video]
Same setup

Last edited:

jaehow23

Established Member
I think the catback may have more influence than the headers. I have an O/R X and mine sounded a lot nastier on decel with LM1 vs Magnaflow. The LM1 sounder great wide open but they were just too nasty any otehr time plus they drew a lot of attention.

[video=youtube;_7i8lVfs2ZU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7i8lVfs2ZU[/video]
Same setup

What headers are you running?

jaehow23

Established Member
That's not my video but i used to have the same setup. From the video description it seems like stock manifolds.

Yea that's what it sounded like...I know the popping is there with stock headers, that's not my concern. My concern was the popping going away if you install long tubes. But I think I have enough info to get the pop go remain if I ever go the long tube route.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Wow, this is the first time I've ever seen anyone WANT that popping! I always thought it was ghetto sounding, and indicative of a poorly tuned car,motorcycle, etc., and tried my damndest to avoid that, lol!

jtkz13

Established Member
I have Kooks 1 3/4 LT's, x-pipe, and Flowmaster catback. It definitely pops, but moreso when cold or decelerating in gear from a redline sprint.

I dont like it though and am going to be changing the midpipe and catback soon.

Tyler06

Established Member
Tagging along, I just purchased a cobra with Borla Stingers and an off road prochamber. Thinking about changing for a X-pipe and may be thinking about getting Kooks long-tube headers.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I agree it's the tune if your talking about pops. The gargle sound I think is the exhaust setup. I like the gargle and maybe a little popping, but I've heard some Coyotes that popped really bad and it sounds like shit. My old tune sucked and I had way more popping vs. my new tune from new tuner, both with the same exhaust setup.

Zemedici

Established Member
Tagging along, I just purchased a cobra with Borla Stingers and an off road prochamber. Thinking about changing for a X-pipe and may be thinking about getting Kooks long-tube headers.

Get cats on the midpipe, they help keep the rasp at bay. Sometimes I wish mine had hi flows on it....

Tyler06

Established Member
I am not a fan of the cats on. That's just me, I like them to be loud but at the same time sound good. I may be sticking with the H then adding some long tubes to wake it up a bit.

jaehow23

Established Member
the key to the popping, resonators.

I had magnaflow mufflers and it wasn't aggressive enough for my taste, nor was the popping i wanted there. I swapped out the MFs for a resonator and it definitely woke the exhaust up!

ARH LTs, O/R X and resonators:

(this was filmed with my cell phone and it immediately distorts the sound. I 'll get a better exhaust video soon)

[video=youtube;sI1-fBoYS4g]2003 10th Anniversary Cobra AED Dyno[/video]

Last edited:

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
I think my pop is gone, didn't hear it during my test drive. Kooks 1 5/8" off road x and stingers with a Jon Lund tune... Maybe j just can't hear it from being infront of the pipes.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
I think my pop is gone, didn't hear it during my test drive. Kooks 1 5/8" off road x and stingers with a Jon Lind tune... Maybe j just can't hear it from being infront of the pipes ��

I hear mine popping and hear my GFs 15 pop driving too

Users who are viewing this thread