Do It Yourself Powder Coating, Anyone Here Attempted It?

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Anyone here try doing their own powder coating? Currently my truck is pulled apart so now would be the time to getr-done. A couple of buddies and myself want to try our hand at powder coating several parts.

We need to find a quality powder coating kit and cheap oven to accomplish these tasks.
I searched and didn't come up with any How-To's in the forums but maybe someone can chime in with their experience.

I'm told the process is pretty easy and prep work is key but I'm searching to see if anyone has any opinions on any particular kits or direction? Or should I just leave this task of powder coating to the professionals?

-Chris

95PGTTech

Established Member
My friend Adam just started doing this for me. See his results here. He had to have his garage rewired for 220V for the oven, purchase oven, compressor, sprayer/applicator, sandblaster, etc. as far as tools. The powder and supplies add up - gloves, cleaning supplies, stripper, sand, air lines, etc.

He started off very basic and his first couple runs he charged people just over cost and put the profits into a new big sand blast cabinet so he doesn't have to do it in the front yard with a pair of goggles. He says his next big purchases will be a larger oven, compressor, and a more professional applicator gun. It is all in the prep, no doubt about that.

Post 34

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
It would sure save alot of money and down time. Id like to learn.

oldmodman

Established Member
I got the super cheapo Harbor Freight powder gun, but bought my powders from a reputable supplier.

The I spent a week learning about powder coating on the powder coating forums.

Learned that all parts "should" be blasted before coating if you want really good results. Parts should also be baked before coating, after cleaning to cook out all residue that will cause the powder to lift during baking.

Then the part should be pre heated (temp depends on the type of powder) before coating. Then baked at two or more increasing temperatures to get the exact type of finish you want to get.

Like a powder coater I was talking to said "It's an art AND a science"

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
My friend Adam just started doing this for me. See his results here. He had to have his garage rewired for 220V for the oven, purchase oven, compressor, sprayer/applicator, sandblaster, etc. as far as tools. The powder and supplies add up - gloves, cleaning supplies, stripper, sand, air lines, etc.

He started off very basic and his first couple runs he charged people just over cost and put the profits into a new big sand blast cabinet so he doesn't have to do it in the front yard with a pair of goggles. He says his next big purchases will be a larger oven, compressor, and a more professional applicator gun. It is all in the prep, no doubt about that.

Post 34

Yeah, we actually planned on doing this as a side job if everything went smoothly once ours were done.

Did you mean to post a reference thread? Maybe I missed something? Post 34?

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I got the super cheapo Harbor Freight powder gun, but bought my powders from a reputable supplier.

The I spent a week learning about powder coating on the powder coating forums.

Learned that all parts "should" be blasted before coating if you want really good results. Parts should also be baked before coating, after cleaning to cook out all residue that will cause the powder to lift during baking.

Then the part should be pre heated (temp depends on the type of powder) before coating. Then baked at two or more increasing temperatures to get the exact type of finish you want to get.

Like a powder coater I was talking to said "It's an art AND a science"

would you mind doing a write up?

Users who are viewing this thread