do i need torco

jetboatjockey

Established Member
opinion needed. 07 gt 500, vmp 800 hp kit, tuned by bj for 91 gas, probably some where around 600+ rwhp. 4000 ft elevation in id. i winter in az at about 500 ft. car runs great both place. i have really old farmer ears, looots of old loud tractors in my youth. so i can not hear knocking. my question is there a way to tell if i am in danger, do i need torco? thanks nelson: need to add that bj tuned for 4000 ft .

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Are you sure it is knocking you hear? If it was tuned by VMP they would have done a safe tune for your situation. Get a hold of them and see what they say.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
No knock sensors on the older cars to pull timing so you decide. What's easier/cheaper buying cans of torco or a new motor. No such thing as to much octane.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Should be ok, as long as you keep putting in 91. To be on the safe side, take it to a local shop you trust and have them go on a road test with you. They should be able to listen for you.

MastaAce03

Established Member
I don't have my 07 anymore. But if I did, I'd be installing the vampire knock detection system. Look it up. Much cheaper than a new motor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

JimIII@jdm

I don't recommend Torco or any fuel additives for that matter. Your best bet is premium fuel and if you want to raise octane get 100+ unleaded Sunoco or VP race fuel. Mix 4-5 gallons in on a full tank or run it stronger mix if you like.

Torco and other octane boosters leave contaminants on the spark plugs and foul them out which can cause misfires and even lead to engine damage. It does a minimal job of raising octane and your still relying on what came out of the pump from the gas station to be good quality fuel as a base.

But the real problem is if your detonating on your street tune you should have them lower the timing some.

Also check to make sure you intercooler pump is working and your IAT's aren't sky rocketing.

jetboatjockey

Established Member
thanks guys, i have not heard anything suspicious. a little worried as i have the small pulley and peg the orginal boost guage immediately to 15 so i do not know my actual boost. glad to know about booster. i think bj did great job. thanks again. nelson

Users who are viewing this thread