Do I need to get my Cobra re-tuned?

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
I'm buying a Cobra from Dallas Ga and I'm shipping it here to Quantico, Va. It is currently tuned for 93 in Dallas Ga which is about 1,050ft above sea level. Do I need get it retuned for here in Quantico which is just about sea level? I'm not entirely sure about what formulas go into tuning a car so I was hoping you guys could help me out. Thanks SVTP!

:beer:

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
wouldn't hurt to do some a/f readings once you get back home.

Would it hurt to not do it though? I guess I'm wondering if I could wait until after Valentine's day weekend to take care of it or not. If you guys thinks its best to get it done asap, I'll just be getting a rental car and driving that around. :banana: If you guys think it won't do anything to the engine, then guess who's going to add to the property values of malls all over Va that weekend lol. :coolman:

My Main Objective is to keep the car's engine in Mint condition, if waiting a week to dyno it will hurt it at all, then I'm going to have it delivered straight to the dyno shop.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
If it's tuned right the maf will adj for the elevation change, but Like buying any used car it would be best to have it dyno with the air/fuel check, for piece of mind

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Assuming the mods on the car haven't changed since the tune and the tune was done correctly, the elevation change should be of no concern. I'm pretty OCD about stuff like that and I wouldn't be worried about it.

ctgreddy

Established Member
x2, elevation changes should be adjusted with the maf, one of the things it's there for. That said since it's a new car I'd still have the tune checked before you go wot. DD'ing the car wouldn't be an issue tho I'd just stay out of it until you can get it somewhere.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Always, always, get the tune checked out when buying a new vehicle. Ask for an additional $400.00 in the loan amount, tell em its for TT&L.

A $400.00 "cut corner" could be expensive and catastrophic a few miles down the road.:beer:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'd take the entire paranoia to an even further level and demand a compression test on the motor before buying.....if that checks out, your elevation change should not cause you to lose any sleep for a few days until you get your local tune. I'd be more paranoid something is already damaged from the previous owner

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Its always a good idea to throw it on a dyno just to check. When i got my vert it was chipped and pullied. Put it on a dyno and A/F was mid 12s throughout. Much to lean for my taste so i had it retuned.

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
When i was stationed in Quantico, I drove my car to GA and back when i took leave and it did fine. Also, did a few pulls on I-95....lol If you had the car previously tuned then you should be ok. Also go to the hobby shop and talk to Lewis and Dave tell them mike sent you. They're very knowledable about these cars. Dave has the Sonic Blue terminated 4-eyed foxbody that was just recently in the 5.0 Mustang magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread