Do i need a Plenum with my throttle body on a 2.2KB

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I bought this SC setup back in the summer and i'm in the process of buying my supporting mods and i was wondering if i need to buy a Throttle body with the plenum or will just the Throttle body work on this setup? I was planning on going with the Accufab Single Blade TB http://www.americanmuscle.com/20coacthbopo.html

I really dont wont to spend the extra $100 for the plenum unless i have too. Also if i dont need it, can anyone tell me where to buy just the TB by itself? Thanks:beer:
IMG_20150903_174916_800_zpskicrwew6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SlowSVT

Established Member
Ok cool, that's what i was thinking. I guess i just wanted to make sure i didn't need a KB TB on it to match the KB plenum.

What muffed you up here was the term "plenum" which describes a volume of space inside the induction system which threw a lot of people off. "blower intake" would have been a better term. Nobody but KB makes intakes for KB blowers but all the Cobra blowers accept the standard oval TB's between the major suppliers.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Nobody but KB makes intakes for KB blowers but all the Cobra blowers accept the standard oval TB's between the major suppliers.

So you're saying even if wanted to use the plenum/blower intake that came with the Accufab TB, i couldn't? I'm glad i asked then, im not sure what Accufab expects you to do with the plenum that comes with it then

cj428mach

Established Member
All you need is the throttlebody, you don't need a plenum because its already part of the KB. I can't tell but your KB is setup for a SBTB correct? As you can't just bolt a SBTB to a standard dual bore plenum and have it work.

SlowSVT

Established Member
So you're saying even if wanted to use the plenum/blower intake that came with the Accufab TB, i couldn't? I'm glad i asked then, im not sure what Accufab expects you to do with the plenum that comes with it then

Stop calling it a plenum!

I have no idea what came with your TB. Generally TB don't come with blower intakes only blowers come with blower intakes. Some companies offer larger blower intakes but they tend to cost 2-3x what the TB cost.

I have an Accufab TB on my Whipple. Others have a Billetflow TB on their TVS whiles others have a Dragon big oval TB on their KB and visa versa. As long as the bolt pattern matches you should be good to go with any of these TB's

FYI in most situations a big TB on a 2.2 is not going to gain you much power over the factory TB I think they are only good for about 10-15 hp unit you pass the 600 hp mark where the 2.2 starts to run out of breath. Not slaggen on the 2.2 that's the blower that started it all, scream worse then that ex girlfriend you dumped years ago and are highly sought after as you can't get them anymore.

01yellercobra

Established Member

The set up you posted is for the eaton. It replaces the stock parts.

cj428mach

Established Member
This is what makes the TVS 1000x better than a Whipple or a KB blower is that they have a removable plenum/inlet elbow like the stock Eaton does. It makes working on your engine so much easier when in 5 mins you can have the plenum off the blower and be working on the motor rather than removing the blower itself. Coming from a previous Whipple owner this is huge! I really want a 2.9 but I don't think I can ever give up the removable inlet/plenum.

My point being is sell the 2.2 to someone that really gets their rocks off on the whine and get a TVS, also the TVS is a pretty good screamer itself.

SlowSVT

Established Member
This is what makes the TVS 1000x better than a Whipple or a KB blower is that they have a removable plenum/inlet elbow like the stock Eaton does. It makes working on your engine so much easier when in 5 mins you can have the plenum off the blower and be working on the motor rather than removing the blower itself. Coming from a previous Whipple owner this is huge! I really want a 2.9 but I don't think I can ever give up the removable inlet/plenum.

My point being is sell the 2.2 to someone that really gets their rocks off on the whine and get a TVS, also the TVS is a pretty good screamer itself.

:nono:

Don't you start offending us Whipple fans!

:(

cj428mach

Established Member
:nono:

Don't you start offending us Whipple fans!

:(

LOL, I was one of you and had a hard time making the switch. After removing my passenger side valve cover twice in the last 5 months I must say that I'm in love with my TVS.

GodStang

Established Member
I can't tell what inlet that KB has. If it is still the dual blade than you use the stock or the BBK dual one. if it is the single blade than you need ONLY the throttle body single blade such as Billetflow, Accufab, LFP. The dragon is a different shape and the inlet will have to be grounded to fit and may have to do a different IAC. All the bolt patterns match but not all the ports match. The dual blade will bolt up to a single blade but the IAC does not match up and will cause throttle issues.

There are aftermarket inlets for the kenne bell and whipple but the 2.2L will not benefit from them. Made 650rwhp with a 2.2L and 17psi so it can be a good little blower.

Last edited:

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I can't tell what inlet that KB has. If it is still the dual blade than you use the stock or the BBK dual one. if it is the single blade than you need ONLY the throttle body single blade such as Billetflow, Accufab, LFP. The dragon is a different shape and the inlet will have to be grounded to fit and may have to do a different IAC. All the bolt patterns match but not all the ports match. The dual blade will bolt up to a single blade but the IAC does not match up and will cause throttle issues.

There are aftermarket inlets for the kenne bell and whipple but the 2.2L will not benefit from them. Made 650rwhp with a 2.2L and 17psi so it can be a good little blower.

Im all confused now, let me know if you can tell what kind it needs. I didn't know there were so many variables when it comes to matching a TB and my blower intake. Maybe these pictures will help show more.

IMG_20151229_193631_542_zps6bp9gxdj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20151229_193648_037_zpskeqisqtr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20151229_193708_307_zpsel7rnmrk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

GodStang

Established Member
Sorry on the iPad the pic was hard to see first pic. From the second set of pics you will need Single blade throttle body only. Billetflow (no longer made), Accufab, LFP all single blade. NOT Dragon as it has different IAC and shape.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Sorry on the iPad the pic was hard to see first pic. From the second set of pics you will need Single blade throttle body only. Billetflow (no longer made), Accufab, LFP all single blade. NOT Dragon as it has different IAC and shape.

Cool, thanks man. I'll probably stick with getting the Accufab, i never really had the Dragon as one of my options because apparently you have to do a lot of modding or machining to get it to fit right. And even then, from what ive read, the performance difference isn't really that substantial. Accufab SBTB it is then.

Users who are viewing this thread