Do I need a new proportioning valve for brembos? Rear pad question as well.

Deathproof

Established Member
I am looking at getting a very good deal on 13in 4 piston brembos(the cobra R ones), do I need a different proportioning valve?

Also, can I run GT pads with cobra rotors in the rear. The car is a 94 cobra, but the guy is willing to throw in some gently used hawk blue pads for the rear for a GT. I know people have had trouble squeezing GT pads on, but there is always play in the pads with the piston all the way out, and being used I figure it's worth a shot. Guess I can always resell them, but I was just wondering if anyone has gotten brand new GT pads on cobra rotors before.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Cant really help you much on this but was wondering what rims you are running with the 13 inch 4 pistion Brembo's. Do you need to run 18 inch or can you get away with 17 inch cobra R's?

Deathproof

Established Member
Cant really help you much on this but was wondering what rims you are running with the 13 inch 4 pistion Brembo's. Do you need to run 18 inch or can you get away with 17 inch cobra R's?

I'm gunna find out, but I don't see 17's being much of a problem. STi's and evo's came with the same front brakes and 17's. Usually if the rim is 4in bigger than the diameter of the rotor, you are fine. Don't know if these calipers are any thicker, which could require a slightly lower number for the offset of the wheel, or a spacer. Not to mention even with the same offset, different wheels have different spoke designs that can rub the caliper.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Prop valve, no problem. You will not need to replace or mess with it.

Rear GT pads? Nope, you'll warp your rear rotors from the heat it'll cause.

You can file them down 1/8"-1/4" of an inch in order to get them to fit. (a grinder should do the trick)

Deathproof

Established Member
Prop valve, no problem. You will not need to replace or mess with it.

Rear GT pads? Nope, you'll warp your rear rotors from the heat it'll cause.

You can file them down 1/8"-1/4" of an inch in order to get them to fit. (a grinder should do the trick)

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread