Do I need a new crank? And another ?

Teksid281

Banned
Ok guys something I haven't put much thought into here. I blew a head gasket and the oil is now all milky and such. I am purchasing new pistons and rods and bearings and all that good stuff, but will I really need a new crank? To my knowledge it is the stock crank w about 170K miles on it. Should I just go ahead and get one to be safe?

My other question is, if I want to go to manual steering, I want to get a flaming river rack. BUT, I don't see an option for an SN car with a mod motor :shrug: Am I outta luck or what?

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
How far did you drive on milky oil?

I didn't think it was necessary to do all that, if you didn't drive to far with it milky.

Should be able to just polish the crank anyhow...

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Ok guys something I haven't put much thought into here. I blew a head gasket and the oil is now all milky and such. I am purchasing new pistons and rods and bearings and all that good stuff, but will I really need a new crank? To my knowledge it is the stock crank w about 170K miles on it. Should I just go ahead and get one to be safe?

My other question is, if I want to go to manual steering, I want to get a flaming river rack. BUT, I don't see an option for an SN car with a mod motor :shrug: Am I outta luck or what?

Have the crankshaft checked out by the machine shop to give it a clean bill of health.

Since these cars are hydraboost brakes and you want to convert to manual rack, you will have to do something about the brake system and run a manual rack setup for the 94/95 cars. You might get rid of the entire hyrdaboost setup and convert to manual brakes? Then you run into doing something about the ABS if so equipped.

Last edited:

Teksid281

Banned
Car has been maybe 5 miles since the oil and coolant mixed. If that. How hard is it to convert to manual brakes? As far as the ABS goes, I have ABS but it doesnt do a damn bit of good as I've locked them up quite a few times since I've owned the car.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
As the others have stated, I really don't think you will be needing a new crankshaft.

The crankshafts that come on these cars are absolutely ridiculous, I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread