Do I need a EGR valve

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
This may sound dumb, but im going for it. On a 95 gt 5.0 will the car keep trying to stalling at idle ( up and down rpms) without a EGR valve. I just got the car two weeks ago and the guy i got it from took the whole egr assy out..(everything that the egr needs to work)....and he has the smog paper work since 3/16/2010..with the check engin light on

If he didnt need the egr valve how did he drive it around town without any issues.....and pass smog:shrug:

The mechanic wants to charge me $1000. to put all the EGR stuff back on.I just want to make sure that the car will run and idle and the check engine light gos off.
or could it just need a custom tune .

Last edited:

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
take it to a tuner...it wont cost you 1000 dollars, he can probably give you the codes he pulls and see if they correlate to ur problems. im guessing a tuner can give you the most details of if in fact that is the problem.

if he solves the problem, and the light is still on because of the egr he can shutit off

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
have u tried adjusting the idle screw or cleaning the IAC (idle air control). air/fuel mixtures being too rich can also cause a surging idle, although im not sure about actually stalling the car.

my phone didnt let me edit my last post

Last edited:

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Well i found out the MAF sensor was bad so it was replaced and now it only idle rough when i start the car for a min. then after a min. the check engine light comes on then the car idles fine with no problems. I can drive and stop the car all day and it idles fine..like i said just when i start the car does it idle rough now.. Im thinking it might need a tune. the motor in the car was rebuilt with a mild cam ,heads ,intake and so on. I dont know if the guy i got the car from had it tuned since the engine is not stock

Users who are viewing this thread