do i have the tick?

warren

Established Member
:cryying: hi guys! i been noticeing the last couple of weeks that when i do a cold start on the cobra i hear a ticking sound comeing from the front driverside fenderwell. the ticking sound will go away when the car warms up or it ticks for a minute or 2 then its gone. it seems to last longer if the car sits longer. anyone have this problem. im thinking i have the infamous tick. any input would help. thanks guys:D

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by warren
i get the filter from the ford dealership, for the 03
I don't know then. Sometimes oil filters can cause piston slap if they don't have a anti-drain back valve in them. Tick is there all the time, not just at startup.

The injectors have a different strategy when you first start your car cold and change after it's warmed up. Maybe you're hearing that?

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
as stated make sure it is the proper filter. Also what weight oil are you using??

I think we are creating an obsession with this tick.

Orange Poison

Established Member
You probably have the normal little morning tap like ALOT of '03 Cobras have. I have this problem and goes away after a few minutes.

I stopped worrying about it after my dealership deemed it normal for these cars.

Sin

Established Member
I got the tick, its Ok. Doa search from previous threads for the "tick". I think there is a poll also?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
your entire post is right on the money

Originally posted by 03DOHC
I don't know then. Sometimes oil filters can cause piston slap if they don't have a anti-drain back valve in them. Tick is there all the time, not just at startup.

The injectors have a different strategy when you first start your car cold and change after it's warmed up. Maybe you're hearing that?

I think the part about the cold-start injector strategy is an excellent observation that was probably unknown to many of us

:beer:

Last edited:

warren

Established Member
whooow! thanks guys. i was getting a little worried there. did youre ticks start right away or after you had some miles on her?, because mine didnt start ticking until about 7, 900 miles

Users who are viewing this thread