Do i have a chance in hell to pass emissions? info inside

F1Cobra

Established Member
99 cobra 21,000 miles:

Hooker longtubes with matching hooker x pipe jet hot coated
Magnapack mufflers
borla center exhaust tailpipes w/ chicane piece

Would i be royally screwed by the exhuast nazis in CA or do i have a prayer? :-D

shadow

got snake ?
Established Member
Cats or no cats ???
You might have a chance if you have cats and the inspector doesn't look under the car. If you don't have cats, you don't have a chance.

F1Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by shadow
Cats or no cats ???
You might have a chance if you have cats and the inspector doesn't look under the car. If you don't have cats, you don't have a chance.

No cats but i was thinking about putting some mock cat shields if i had a chance whatsoever to to pass the actual smog test.

Wildcard

Established Member
You know this is going to be hard. You might need to take off the long tube headers and the X-pipe. Replacing them with stock just for the test. Sorry your going throught the SMOG blues. P.S. "I love the tripple B*tch"

shadow

got snake ?
Established Member
the mock cats won't work. Your car will not pass smog without the cats. You might pass with the headers, but you will need a midpipe that has the cats.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
Originally posted by shadow
the mock cats won't work. Your car will not pass smog without the cats. You might pass with the headers, but you will need a midpipe that has the cats.

exactly, no cats no pass, but as long as all the egr and o2 sensors are in the headers it should pass, maybe not visual but you could explain that the egr and 02 is all hooked up as stock, but let me/us know cause i want to get longtubes and if they pass smog i would like to know

2FST4GM

Established Member
I had to take my 5.0 to a "test only" station before I bought the Cobra. I had MAC long-tube headers and the car was really loud. The technician tried to find something wrong visually for over 10 minutes before he would put the sniffer in the tailpipe and run it on the dyno. I knew everything else was legal but the headers. I didn't bring the E.O. numbers with me but figured they probably don't know which peices do/do not have them. I got really nervous when he spent a lot of time under the car. In CA at a "test only" station, if you fail the visual, you still have to pay. Eventually, he put in the sniffer and ran the car. My car ran 12.8 @ 106 at the track and passed the test with flying colors. Practically no emissions! Cleaner than a new Honda. He couldn't belive a car so loud and obviously modified could run so clean.

Put some high-flow cats on it and cross your fingers on the headers.

trplblacksnake,
In CA, if a shop is caught cheating a smog test, they get fined $25,000 and can't run any tests for 2 years. So financially, its just not worth it any more for them. You'd be really lucky to find someone that would even be willing to do it for less than $400. At that price, you might as well get a high-flow cat set-up and keep that for testing which occurs here ever 2 years for cars older than 4 years old.

Last edited:

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Dude, we have almost the same set-up. I am running the Bassani Catback instead of the Magapacks. You will pass as long as your car isn't throwing codes. The visual inspection will be hard to pass unless you know someone. I passed the OBDII with no problems and no cats. Good luck!:)

Users who are viewing this thread