Do gears really make a big difference?

GT00STANG17

Established Member
Hey guys im picking up a new GT over the weekend. I have my jlt cold air intake and predator tuner im putting in bc I was able to take them off my red GT. I was wondering if gears really make that big of difference? Bc I was always afraid to spend the money them bc idk if they make a difference at all.

1hot281

Established Member
Big big difference... probably the biggest difference-per-dollar besides nitrous

i went from 2.73's to 3.73's in my 97 GT and it really woke the car up...

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
HUGE difference... ive got 3.73's and i love em and there by far the best bolt on u can do to these cars... after doing all the boltons (headers, catback, off road mid pipe etc) this is by far the most noticeable bolt on mod for these cars (besides supercharger or nitrous)... if ure gonna plan on going forced induction in the future do 3.73's... if u dont plan on doing forced induction go with 4.10's or even higher if u want.... all depends on wat u want to do with the car but regardless u will love the gears!

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
4.10's and auto in mine and it shoots off like crazy off the line. Big difference. Well worth the money.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Yea eventually, 3.73's would be my choice anyways even if I wasn't going to SC it

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Mine had 4.10's on it when I bought it. With the Vortech, acceleration is insane in any gear!

cobra916

Established Member
:nonono: too many nobs on the net giving advice.. gears only do something from a dig..with a car that can hold traction..and in most part people with lowered cars will not transfer weight to work.. and no one rolls the streets with slicks.. so stick with stock 327s or maybe 355s.. people saying 456s in a car that revs to 6k hahahahaha..lets make your car into a worthless piece of crap

tdcalhoun89

_
Established Member
I have 4.10 gears. Anything over that for a street car is serious overkill. My 1st gear at times is a bit short; I do a lot of rolling stops that I leave it in 2nd and have no problems accelerating.

If you want to "wake the car up", I recommend 4.10s for a manual. If you're planing on going F/I, then 3.73s, maybe 3.55s. When I was DDing my mustang, I was getting over 300 miles to a full tank with the 4.10s. I think gears are very much worth the money. They don't make the car all that much faster, they just make it feel like it's way faster... and more fun to drive.

4.56 gears is a joke.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
I'M going with 4.56s but I'll be reving to 7k and only care about cruising and 1/4. Not that Into roll racing. Op, 4.10 or 3.90s will be Ideal for you.

Users who are viewing this thread