Do gears help drivability? 09 GT500

my69camaro1

Established Member
Maybe it's just me but I can't seem to constantly get smooth take offs in town.. I think the drive by wire is messing with me.

Would going to 3.73's help in the low speed driving aspect?

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I already had my KB 2.8 installed and retained the 3.31 gear which the car was fast(obviously)....however................ ONCE I dropped in a 3.73, the car simply just drove better. Around town, getting on the highway, it just woke the car up tremendously. I'd highly recommend it.

The longer I'm in this sport, the more I realize how much that "drive-ability" really means to me. Yes anyone can throw parts at a car and make it fast in a straight line, stop decent, handle in the twisties, but having a car that does it all moderately well is what I'm after.

I'd definitely suggest a good tune(mail-order will work from a reputable tuner) and a gear. If you're really looking for your car to shift great too, check out MGW's GT500 shifter. We did an install video for them on my car and its hands down probably my favorite mod I've ever done to the car.

Last edited:

Ackman70

Established Member
First thing I noticed after installing the 3.73's was how much easier it drove. Had I known I would have done it much sooner.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Thank's guys, that's the little push I needed. Looks like I'll hit the local dealer this week and set up a day.

you_like_this_facebook_tumbs_up_bumper_sticker-p128127724679874290trl0_200.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread