Do custom sized replica termi wheels exist?

guarnibl

Established Member
Do custom sized replica termi wheels exist (long shot)?

Hi guys,

I have a 2001 Cobra (didn't want to buy a terminator just to rip everything out), but with 03 body panels going on, full 03 suspension, and we're doing a motor swap on it soon -- basically a forged bottom end either Boss or GT350 lower half (sans flat plane crank) w/ GT350 heads. I'm going to need as much tire as I can get on the car, but I want to keep the exterior as OEM (03) as possible.

Are there any wheel manufacturers out there that make nice forged replica wheels with custom sizing? Or am I just stuck with going aftermarket such as CCW, Forgestar, or HRE?

I can't run 17's because my rotors literally won't clear (350mm/332mm) up front, and I can't run 18x9 / 18x10 because the widest tire I can run would be 255/285. I'd like to run 315 out back and 295 up front.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I think I'm out of luck, but posting in hopes someone out there might know a vendor.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Established Member
You could always buy the 18 inch replica wheels and have them widened to the size your after?

It might be possible... I tried going that route with the factory '13 Boss 302 wheels and was told it wasn't possible due to the way the wheel is constructed. I'll try weldcraft again.

Good options from CCW (sp500/sp550/sp540s) that look somewhat close to OEM (slightly different) and same with Forgestar (CF5). Looks like I'll be going for :
18x9.5 front 6.25 BS (R888 275/35ZR18)
18x11 back 6.75 BS (R888 305/30ZR18).

Can't run wider than 9.5 up front w/o an SLA setup, which I'm not to keen on dropping $4k for 20mm of tire gain. Not competing, so gain is minimal on street. Now to ensure it'll clear http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-9117-DR.

Last edited:

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
For the money you will have in the car, don't cheap out on some replica wheels. Go to some known wheel companies, CCW, BBS, TF, etc... and get a good set of wheels.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
AFS does 18X10.5 and most people run 315 with them. Not sure if you would want to run them up front to get the wider ones. Thing 295 up front is a little overkill unless your doing a lot of autocross.

guarnibl

Established Member
For the money you will have in the car, don't cheap out on some replica wheels. Go to some known wheel companies, CCW, BBS, TF, etc... and get a good set of wheels.

Agreed, and that's what I wanted to do -- I actually wanted to run OEM completely until I realized they were so narrow and I needed something slightly wider (especially out back). That said, you're right -- CCW and Forgestar both offer options that look close to stock (CCW being the better choice). I didn't see much for TF, nor BBS but I will do some more digging. CCW also seems to know fitment quite well for these cars. Downside is they're more expensive than Forgestar ($700+/wheel vs Forgestar @ $400/wheel -- both forged options).

AFS does 18X10.5 and most people run 315 with them. Not sure if you would want to run them up front to get the wider ones. Thing 295 up front is a little overkill unless your doing a lot of autocross.

I find that having a wider front tire really helps with turn-in. I ran a 295 up front (and 325 rear) on my Boss 302 and it transformed the car, so I am trying to emulate that. They are very different cars though, so I would imagine a 275 up front will be comparable.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I use to run nitto 555r 315 out back on stock 9 wide rims. Surely you could run a 295 on them as well but don't forget that the bulge will actually create for roll on turns.

But I am really confused as to what exact size your wanting? Your wanting to stay with factory looking 17's and want to run a 315 tire? AFS makes them in 10.5 wide and I use to run a set of hoosier 335's on them just fine. I am running a 285 up front on my stock rims right now as well.

guarnibl

Established Member
Looking for factory looking wheels but with the correct sizing. IMO it's a waste to put a wide tire on a narrow rim ( for me at least ) unless you're just going for looks or a really soft sidewall cushion. 275 front 305 out back is what I'm trying to run so that translates to a 9.5 front wheel and 11 rear wheel. I wanted to run a 315 but that means to ensure solid handling and not have too much under steer ( granted camber can help ) I would need to run a 295 up front which won't work without an SLA setup and a 10" or 10.5" wheel up front. Could do 285s but r888 doesn't come in that size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread