Do bumpsteer kits eliminate tie rods?

JaguarS4R

Established Member
I have play in my STEEDA bumpsteers, pass side and and I do have some front end noise at low speeds, like when approaching a red light or taking off. I have to double check, do bumpsteers go bad or is it the ball joint? If I have the bumpsteer kit, does that mean I automatically have the X2 ball joints and could those be my squeaking noises when approaching a red light and taking off?

CJK440

Established Member
The bumpsteer kit just replaces the factory tie rod ends with rod ends and a tapered stud with a selection of spacers. Lower ball joint is not part of a bumpsteer kit.

Jack the car up, grab hold of the wheel and see whats loose.

:pop:

DOHCavanti

Established Member
Those rod ends do go bad (I know, I had a 4-link street car in the 1990's). If you drive your car balls-out on the street, chances are they are shot. Remember, those parts are basically for a roadrace car that gets maintained and low track mileage. Hitting bumps/potholes, weather/salt, and highway breaks will wear them out.

No, you didn't automatically get X2 balljoints with a bumpsteer kit. They are totally seperate parts. The bumpsteer kit would've come with spacers to change the steering arm to make it level.

Last edited:

JaguarS4R

Established Member
I havnt looked in the front on my of may in a while, what does it consist of? Lower, upper control arms... anyone got pics? I get the creaking noises when I apply the brakes and let off, like front end creaks, NOT BRAKE RELATED

DOHCavanti

Established Member
There are inner and outer tie rods. The inner ones you can't see in the steering rack because of that accordian rubber boot. The outer tie rods are what a bumpsteer kit replaces. if you have play in the bumpsteer ends, replace them ASAP.

Check your sway bar end link bushings to make sure they aren't goofed up. They are usually the culprit with squeaking. New poly bushings for them are cheap.

I am guessing we are talking about your 03 Cobra, so the front suspension is a large lower A-arm which holds the coil spring against the front k-frame, a spindle, a strut, and a sway bar.

You are compressing the front suspension when you stop and unloading it when you accelerate. So many things move during those actions, so you have a lot of things to check. After the bumpsteer kit is replaced and the sway bar ends are checked, you could check the lower A-arm bushings, check for rust where the lower A-arm touches the coil spring (some people leave the sleeve off and metal-to-metal makes weird noises), check if you have caster/camber plates to make sure they are not failing. The ball joints are not likely to fail, as they are rated for like 200,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread