Do any oil "stop leak" products work?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My DD with 240k on it has started leaking a bit around the oil pan. On the last oil change I used Valvoline Max-life, which is supposed to stop/slow oil leaks, but I haven't noticed any improvement.

Should I stick with that oil and hope it does what it's supposed to, or should I try a separate product to add during oil changes?

Or are the stop leak products a load of BS? Thanks in advance :beer:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If someone MUST use a stop leak product, as I did in my girlfriend's Jaguar, use the best and don't mess with the cheap stuff.

Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak

Blue devil doesn't add a super viscous base stock to your lubricant, only the expensive seal swelling additives required to condition the seals and gaskets that have failed. It's $20-22.00 at your local auto parts store, but better than cheap solutions that only last with one oil change.

*This is not a guaranteed fix, but Blue Devil stop leak products are the best in the industry.*

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If someone MUST use a stop leak product, as I did in my girlfriend's Jaguar, use the best and don't mess with the cheap stuff.

Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak

Blue devil doesn't add a super viscous base stock to your lubricant, only the expensive seal swelling additives required to condition the seals and gaskets that have failed. It's $20-22.00 at your local auto parts store, but better than cheap solutions that only last with one oil change.

*This is not a guaranteed fix, but Blue Devil stop leak products are the best in the industry.*

Thanks, will check it out. On a "nice" car I would fix it right, but at this point I just need the DD to get me to/from work and don't want to stain the driveway any more than I have to.

What is your DD?

Stop leak products do not work on mod motors with all silicone seals.

Lexus ES300. Same 3.0 V6 as the Camrys

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks, will check it out. On a "nice" car I would fix it right, but at this point I just need the DD to get me to/from work and don't want to stain the driveway any more than I have to.

That's why I used it in her Jaguar. The car isn't worth fixing right, but she needs a car to get her by until she is ready to buy another car.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I helped someone with a blazer that was leaking from multiple places. The Bars Leak Rear Main Seal Repair is decent stuff, I found one of the people who worked for the company that developed it for them. Really random. Just did some searching and found it again. Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

It made a difference in my opinion, cutting the drips down about 70%. It was bad to start with, a driveway ruiner.

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I helped someone with a blazer that was leaking from multiple places. The Bars Leak Rear Main Seal Repair is decent stuff, I found one of the people who worked for the company that developed it for them. Really random. Just did some searching and found it again. Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

It made a difference in my opinion, cutting the drips down about 70%. It was bad to start with, a driveway ruiner.

We did the head gasket repair on a old 87 swb chevy 305. It stopped it all together, and it never gave my dad any more issues.

Users who are viewing this thread