do 13-14 cars have an ac belt tensioner?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Just like the title says. Do they? I bought a 2013-14 timing cover, thinking I could easily get the ac belt on and off now. But I can not find a part # for the ac belt tensioner.

Do they even have an ac belt tensioner on 13-14 cars?

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
An easy way to get the AC belt on and off is to:

Use a really big ratcheting wrench or a torque wrench to turn the crank, whilst turning the crank, grab the AC belt with your other hand and pull it away from the pulley in the direction to want it to "walk off the pulley. 3-4 rotations of the crank and it will walk completely off. Reverse the procedure to put the belt back on the pulley. May sound a little difficult but it is actually pretty simple once you start doing it.

-Nick

YLYCYOT

Turbo Taxed
Established Member
Yes they do make an ac belt tensioner. You must use the 13-14 front cover. This is a tsb (12-8-14) that fixes noisey ac belts. Part number is BR3Z-8620-DA. The kit includes a tensioner, ilder pulley and belt.

Last edited:

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
There isn't one on 11'-12' cars either. At least there isn't one on my 12'. Just realized it when I pulled the engine this weekend. I was like wtf is this? Still learning new things with the S197 cars. :whine:

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Yes they do make an ac belt tensioner. You must use the 13-14 front cover. This is a tsb (12-8-14) that fixes noisey ac belts. Part number is BR3Z-8620-DA. The kit includes a tensioner, ilder pulley and belt.

THIS! It's basically the same setup that F150 5.0's use.

JTS_7

Established Member

My 12' has the provisions for the tensioner and pulley. Car was assembled the first month in 2012. My car also lacks oil squirters...

But yes you are correct if a car has one it was most likely added due to the TSB. It's a PITA to get the stretch belt on and off.

Last edited:

Charliesgramps

Established Member
No tensioner on a stock 5.0. Sucks when you have to replace it (stupid cat). The procedure to install it seems kind of red-neck-ish, but works.

Users who are viewing this thread