DIY window tint

scottminot

Established Member
I've been thinking of tinting the rear window of my Cherokee and needed some input. I was looking at some DIY kits at Walmart yesterday and was wondering if they're worth buying. I think they come in different grades like: good, better, and best, or something like that. Is there a difference between them?
The Jeeps my dd and I'm not looking for perfect tint job but I don't want to waste money on something that's total garbage. Thanks.

LightningLou

Established Member
I did the back windows of my Lightning with 5% tint from Walmart. Came out great and held up fine after two years with no signs of fading or bubbles. Pretty sure it was the best one they had but it was like 12 bucks for the roll. All you need is a small squeegee, windex, razorblade and patience. Liberally spray the windex when you apply the tint and squeegee from the center out. Applying tint is easier than most think. Hardest part is cutting the tint to fit and that's not really that hard. Good luck man!

2kcammed2v

Established Member
you could use windex, but i wouldnt. Soapy water is the best. The windex has ammonia in it which is actually used to remove the adhesive from the tint/remove tint.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Never use windex on window tint.

+1 Get the glass cleaner in the auto section of Walmart since you're there buying the tint. Actually I think they have the soap solution for applying it too.

Whatever you do, make sure it doesn't contain ammonia.

scottminot

Established Member
I'm going to purchase the installation kit that includes the cleaner/adhesive, squeegee, and blade for $12. I think it even comes with a video.
I watched a few youtube vids on tint application and it doesn't seem like a difficult process.
They do stress not to use cleaners that contain ammonia.

stang1971

Established Member
Not all windex has ammonia...
yes it does.. i tint windows for a living and have seen it all... the best window cleaner out there is "spray away". its a foam glass cleaner and can be had at walmart.

all windex has some ammonia in it.. even if it says ammonia free.. its still has around 1-2% in it.

be advised that ur back window has a slight curve to it.. the tint will need to be form fitted or "shrunk" to fit that curve. most truck back windows are flat but suv windows arent flat. a tint shop should be able to do a great lifetime warranty job for around $50. thats what i charge for a back window.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
stang 1971, what do you use to form the tint to the back window. I have tinted friends rides for some time now on the side with great success, however the rear window usually presents a problem. sometimes it requires me going and buying the "strips" of tint and cutting as necessary. I've never used a heat gun, but was told that it is the best way to do it. write up a nice how too if you would stang1971.

stang1971

Established Member
stang 1971, what do you use to form the tint to the back window. I have tinted friends rides for some time now on the side with great success, however the rear window usually presents a problem. sometimes it requires me going and buying the "strips" of tint and cutting as necessary. I've never used a heat gun, but was told that it is the best way to do it. write up a nice how too if you would stang1971.
check out TintDude.com - Window Tinting

the heat gun is the way i use.. that site shows how to tint and is very good info wise.

jf4boogie

Established Member

One of my long time friends owns a tint shop and I'm not sure that shrinking/fitting tint is something you can just write up a quick "how-to" on. After watching him for the past years on many different cars, it seems that no two cars are the same and its a matter of having the "touch" and "feel" necessary to heat the tint in the right places.

I just can't understand why people with no experience try to tint their own windows, only to end up with nasty gaps, creases, and a crappy looking job that likely won't last. Sure it will cost you more, but it will be done right (if you have a reputable shop) look much better, and come with a lifetime warranty PLUS you don't have to get frustrated and aggravated with it!:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread