DIY: IRS 8.8 Diff Rebuild

schitzo

Established Member
I rebuilt my 8.8 a few months ago and thought I would share. I'll paste my post from another forum.

Be aware there are two types of Ford gears, face hobbed and face milled. The new Ford OEM gears are all face hobbed. Adjusting the gear pattern is different depending of which gear you are using. The PDF below shows how to determine the gear type and how to adjust the pattern.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5717.pdf

The 8.8 IRS differential is relatively easy to rebuild. The pinion depth is adjusted using a shim that sits beneath the inner pinion bearing and the backlash is adjusted using shims that sit between the carrier bearing race and the housing. Ford uses a crush collar to set the pinion preload but I will be using a solid collar with shims. As with any differential build, the gear pattern and backlash are the key determinants of a properly installed gear set.

Before tearing the diff apart, the backlash, pinion preload, gear runout, and gear pattern were checked just to get a good baseline. Next the diff was torn apart and cleaned. I did this back in 2010 and have since lost the pictures I took.

For the rebuild, I started by fabricating a diff fixture. It allows the diff to be rotated 360 degrees and held at any point.
y3a3.jpg
8z38.jpg

First, the two pinion races and carrier bearings are pressed on. Ensure the races are completely seated down otherwise you would have issues adjusting the pinion depth. Care should be taken to ensure the races are installed straight otherwise they may damage the aluminum case.

r3dp.jpg
ibc0.jpg

The ring gear, pinion gear, and carrier are then prepared for assembly. A file is used to remove any burrs that may be present on machined surfaces. Running your finger on the machined surface easily picks up any burrs that may be present on these surfaces. The filling is light and minimal. Finally, the surfaces are cleaned using solvent.

d85p.jpg
9zf0.jpg

Before the ring gear is bolted onto the carrier, I install the carrier onto the housing and check for the diff runout. The Ford spec here is max of 0.003". Anymore runout and the housing is not usable. My run out was just shy of 0.001" which is well within spec. The carrier is installed using shims that a 0.006" thinner than the original shims. This allows the shims to slide right in without any force.

dk8t.jpg

The ring gear is then installed onto the carrier and bolts torqued to 80 foot pounds. Red loctite is required on these bolts. At this point, the carrier is ready for install. Time to prep the pinion gear.

t2ps.jpg
05rk.jpg

Before the pinion bearing is pressed on, a pinion shim must be installed on the pinion. I started with the original shim that came with the housing. It is a 0.028" shim. The bearing is then pressed on. I made a press tool by welding the a pipe onto the inner race from the old pinion bearing.

8pbd.jpg

At this point the pinion gear is installed into the housing and the pinion nut is torqued to give 20 inch pounds of torque. The carrier is then installed. The carrier shim thickness is selected by subtracting ~0.006" to 0.007" from both the original left and right shims. This allows the shims to slide in easily. The backlash and gear pattern are then checked. The initial setup resulted in 0.015" backlash and pattern as shown below. Ford's spec for backlash is 0.008"-0.015". While this backlash of 0.015" is within spec, the pattern is not as it favors the heel. Ideally, the pattern should be centered, heel to toe, therefore I need to move the pattern towards the toe.

wix.gif
g2hk.jpg

On face hobbed gears such as this, in order to move the pattern toward the toe, you have to decrease the backlash. I prefer a tight backlash therefore I shot for 0.008". That means I needed to decrease the backlash by 0.007". Per Ford's documents, this would require a 0.010" change in shim thickness. I chose to go with a 0.008" shim change. This means the driver side shim was increased by 0.008" and the passenger side shim was decreased by the same amount. This worked out perfect. It resulted in 0.008" backlash and a much better pattern. The pattern is centered heel to toe as well as root to top. I'm happy with this pattern.

n8k.gif
gaql.jpg

more to come

Last edited:

schitzo

Established Member
Once the desired backlash and gear pattern were obtained, I set about setting the pinion preload. Ford uses a crush sleeve to set the preload but I prefer to use a solid collar. I find it easier to setup and it maintains the preload regardless of how much power you put through the diff.

The old crush sleeve dimension provides a good starting point. Mine measured 0.4460" so I setup the solid collar as close to this dimension as possible. I managed to get it to 0.4470". The collar I used is made by Yukon and is a two piece design. Shims are placed between the two pieces and this is how the desired collar thickness is achieved. The collar is installed onto the pinion which is then installed in the housing and the pinion nut is torqued to 130 foot pounds. The pinion preload is then measured using an inch pound beam type torque wrench. The carrier is off the housing while pinion preload is measured. With the collar at 0.4470", I got a pinion preload of 17.5 inch pounds. Ford's spec is 16-29 inch pounds.

hvjv.jpg
2zj5.jpg

While 17.5 inch pounds is within spec, I wanted to get it a little tighter so the shim stack was decreased to give a total height of 0.4435". This gave a preload of 24 inch pounds which I like.

ftzu.jpg
1auo.jpg

At this point the diff is torn down in prep for final assembly. Will update tomorrow.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Nice writeup. I had mine rebuilt and 3.73's installed by one of the most well known Mustang shops in the country, but at 45-60 mph it whines. I've had it back to them and they said it's "normal", one of these days I'm going to pull it apart and I'm sure I'll find backlash is approaching 0.020. You have to set backlash on the tight side, expecting it to loosen up in the first several thousand miles and I don't think they did that. It was dead silent at first.

Users who are viewing this thread